The TV Thread

If he pops his clogs I'm sure they can continue the series with his name above the title and a little indicator underneath that somebody else wrote it.

I had no idea this series had such (ahem) artistic merit. I shall have to investigate.

There's an episode in the first season where a very important character, who also owns a brothel, is giving us an insight into his background and why he's such an untrustworthy scoundrel. But, no matter how many times I watched that 3 minutes of that episode, I learned nothing. All I could see were the two girls finger banging one another.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I've enjoyed Dates as well - pleasent little short stories. I think the characters come back through the episodes on different dates too. I thought the bloke getting with the waiter in the toilet was a bit of a daft development in last night's one though.

Could only manage 10 minutes of The Call Centre last week before I had to turn over to stop myself cringeing to death. If David Brent had been like that, The Office would never have been made for being too unrealistic.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

The thing about the Call Centre is that it has  many workers who would struggle in a conventional employment setting but who get on with earning the only living that is on offer. Yes, they have a boss who is a boorish tyrant, but he cares about them and tries to keep employing them when he should be sacking them ...after all there is a huge queue of young people who want to work there.

I think the term young people is entirely appropriate, because there doesn't appear to be anyone there, except the boss and one tea lady, over forty years of age.

Nev, the boss is on a one-man mission to shake the shrinking violet out of any worker's personality and make that person confident that he/she can stand on his/her own feet in a working and social environment. And do cold-call selling.

He quotes so much management-lecture-spiel that it is obvious that he has done his homework, developed a work-persona and uses a strategy that works. For all the excruciating embarrassment the staff members have to endure, there remains a sympathetic heart and cameraderie within the workforce. For them, the atmosphere is like a continuation of school, only with pay. The boss is a translocation of part-teacher/part embarrassing Dad.

God knows, I could never work in a call centre. But if I was young and had to, that one would be a lot more fun than most. I would guess that most of the workforce is essentially transient and will be doing something else in 10 years, but they will have benefitted from the experience. Better than being on the dole.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I've enjoyed Dates as well - pleasent little short stories. I think the characters come back through the episodes on different dates too. I thought the bloke getting with the waiter in the toilet was a bit of a daft development in last night's one though.

Yes, that wasn't convincing at all. However, Sheridan Smith once again demonstrated that she is a terrific actress.

That just leaves gration

Suddenly the world seems a better place

I like Harry Gratian. To cross-reference another thread, I think you could have a good laugh with him if you went out for a pint together.

I like Harry Gratian. To cross-reference another thread, I think you could have a good laugh with him if you went out for a pint together.

Nah, he's from Yorkshire, you'd spend all night waiting (unsuccessfully) for him to get his round in. ;)

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

As a fellow York resident I have said hello to him on a number of ocassions and he seemed like a right miserable sod.

As a fellow York resident I have said hello to him on a number of ocassions and he seemed like a right miserable sod.

As someone who has watched Look North for years, I can easily believe this. Mind you maybe Wolford is a miserable sod too and that's why he feels they would get along

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

As someone who has watched Look North for years, I can easily believe this. Mind you maybe Wolford is a miserable sod too and that's why he feels they would get along

What do you mean "maybe". Bloody cheek, I wrote the book.

:biggrin:

Did anyone catch the Horizon cat programme last night? Quite light on any actual science or conclusions but an interesting use of GPS technology none the less. Also, cats. :)

Yep, very interesting stuff, especially about behavioural changes and co-existence with other moggies.  I'd have liked a longer sample period (depth as well as breadth) to give more data but it was good enough.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

That's Harry Gration MBE...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!