The TV Thread

Watched Death comes to Pemberley.

I had great fun spotting the  areas it was filmed in/

Lyme Park and house is obvious but I think I spotted Hardcastle Crags and Fountains Abbey in there as well.

I watched 'The Thirteenth Tale' the other day. Not great, but again, good for locations, including Duncombe Park (Helmsley) and Burton Agnes (Driffield). One coincidence is that the current occupant of the latter has a sister who was educated at the former, back when it was a school.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watched Death comes to Pemberley.

I had great fun spotting the  areas it was filmed in/

I think I spotted Hardcastle Crags and Fountains Abbey in there as well.

You did ;)

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

You were not wrong. Very good work from Clarkson and the BBC.

Clarkson did well

It was historically important to hear the voices of survivors who have subsequently died

Clarkson had to simplify the telling of the story and omit a lot of stuff but still gave an excellent account.

He is good at this sort of thing

I found it almost too painful to watch at times but I agree with you both, excellent work from Clarkson and the beeb.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Guy Martin and Speed.

Great programme on Channel 4.

Very likeable chap.

Really enjoyed that. I liked The Boat That Guy Built too. He is an immensely likeable feller.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Guy Martin is a complete mad man. To attempt to ride a push bike at over 100 MPH is madness even for a TT rider

I cycled through his home village this afternoon at a considerably more sedate pace.

Top of the Pops from 1979 programme on BBC4 right now. A good laugh and some top memories.

Recorded that and watched it today. Enjoyed it. For every musical gem TOTP would always follow it with a duffer but that's what makes rewatching it now such fun. :)

Can't believe it was 35 years ago though. In 1979, it would have been 35 years since D Day in WW2. I feel ancient now.

Watching the NFL game between Kansas and the Colts.

As ever, loads of advertising breaks but just about every one has an ad for electronic cigarettes!!

I would have thought that, for advertising purposes, they would be banned from TV exposure.

:dry:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Top of the Pops from 1979 programme on BBC4 right now. A good laugh and some top memories.

I loved it.

Watched the Old Grey Whistle Test before it and couldn't help thinking the following the following bands from 1973 could of fitted in with -

Dr.Feelgood Mod Revival/2-Tone.

Roxy Music but more so Bryan Ferry looked more like ABC or some New Romantic type ala Spandau Ballet.

Argent Rock band could of been some Glam Metal band from the 80's.

Bob Marley and The Wailer's doing "Concrete Jungle" could of been some Root's Reggae band from Brixton in sound and look in the late 70's/early 80's.

Brinsley Schwarz was the start of the Pub Rock/New Wave bands with there Country style Pop sound influencing Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson etc.

At a loose end tonight, I decided to sit through an episode of 'Splash!', ITV's primetime Saturday night celebrity diving contest.

I've witnessed the decline of television quality over the last decade or so, and have managed to rationalise my anger towards drivel such as The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent with the thought that ; 'People derive enjoyment from this rubbish, at the end of the day, they're not harming anyone, are they? Let them get on with it.'

This show, however, plumbs the very depths of 'entertainment' - right from the embarrassing hosts to the pathetic, worthless, deluded and self-important 'celebrity' contestants.

I've now arrived at the conclusion that, if TV bosses continue to scrape the very bottom of the barrel that is reality tv - in their attempts to squeeze every last scenario and context from its rotting corpse, then we're genuinely going to reach the stage where a show similar in nature to 'The Running Man' - as seen in the popular but overplayed movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, is the only possibility left on the table. And you know what? People will absolutely lap it up.

Edited by TheTerminator
r02c.gif

At a loose end tonight, I decided to sit through an episode of 'Splash!', ITV's primetime Saturday night celebrity diving contest.

I've witnessed the decline of television quality over the last decade or so, and have managed to rationalise my anger towards drivel such as The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent with the thought that ; 'People derive enjoyment from this rubbish, at the end of the day, they're not harming anyone, are they? Let them get on with it.'

This show, however, plumbs the very depths of 'entertainment' - right from the embarrassing hosts to the pathetic, worthless, deluded and self-important 'celebrity' contestants.

I've now arrived at the conclusion that, if TV bosses continue to scrape the very bottom of the barrel that is reality tv - in their attempts to squeeze every last scenario and context from its rotting corpse, then we're genuinely going to reach the stage where a show similar in nature to 'The Running Man' - as seen in the popular but overplayed movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, is the only possibility left on the table. And you know what? People will absolutely lap it up.

When you sat down to watch that show, what exactly were you expecting to see? It's billed as a celebrity diving contest. You got celebrity diving.

I'm not saying it's any good. I wouldn't know, I don't watch it. But does it herald the decline of civilisation as we know it? Unlikely. These things never do. It's just telly.

I remember the days of three channel television and no video recorders. There was loads of dross on back then too, but not much escape from it either. At least nowadays, there are plenty of other alternative strands of entertainment available to those who don't want to watch, for example, celebrity diving. Plus you can record the good stuff when it's on (and there's lots of good stuff on telly these days if you look around beyond ITV and BBC primetime) to watch while the primetime dross is on.

I agree, but it did receive quite a lot of comment over scenes on the underground that were inaccurate. 

I've never understood that type of criticism, it's a fictional character in a fictional story in a fictional representation of London.  It's not putting itself out as fully accurate, it's entertainment.  I've seen people complaining about The Walking Dead being unrealistic because of minor administrative issues while completely skating over the fact that it's a programme about the world being taken over by flesh eating zombies and the destruction of civilisation.  Surely it's easier to just not pay attention to these minor things and actually enjoy the programme?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I've never understood that type of criticism, it's a fictional character in a fictional story in a fictional representation of London.  It's not putting itself out as fully accurate, it's entertainment.  I've seen people complaining about The Walking Dead being unrealistic because of minor administrative issues while completely skating over the fact that it's a programme about the world being taken over by flesh eating zombies and the destruction of civilisation.  Surely it's easier to just not pay attention to these minor things and actually enjoy the programme?

The point is though that these are simple things to get right and the whole point is to reveal something that is surprising in a realistic way - rather than just create a world in which as nothing is true anything can be right.

The tube things could all have been sorted very easily and would have probably made the story tighter.  As it was it was part of an episode in which the ride was good fun but the plot was woeful.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I watched last night's Sherlock, I missed the first half an hour but it's the first episode I've seen. Is it always like that?

Because - and without giving away spoilers - there was something awfully convenient about the whole thing; more so than Scooby Doo.

I watched last night's Sherlock, I missed the first half an hour but it's the first episode I've seen. Is it always like that?

Because - and without giving away spoilers - there was something awfully convenient about the whole thing; more so than Scooby Doo.

It's not always like that but it's getting more like that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There are a few jobs which the best way to get into is to work for free and get experience, PR, Acting, Interior Design, Broadcasting etc. Not many people can afford to live for free, especially in London. It helps to have wealthy (and supportive) parents who can finance you through the work experience.

I am sure there is plenty of talent out there that given half a chance would be amazing actors, designers etc.

Edited by markleeds

I was once offered a scholarship, which would have got over the fees issue.  However, the more pressing concern was that I needed a steady income rather than a long shot at being rich.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Watched World's Weirdest Events and truly amazing. Lost on its migration, a walrus managed to get to a town centre where it attacked vehicles. How about a freshwater lake near to a golf course in Brisbane having a dozen Bull sharks in it!  It seems they somehow arrived from the sea and then along a river, which may have been flooded because the lake is landlocked. And before you ask, they can survive in both freshwater as well as salt water. Fish were seen wriggling along roads and houses engulfed in ice that had been blown in from a lake. One guy was inside his house filming the mounting ice. One fish could raise its poisoned bones out of its back in order to protect itself.  

Edited by Saint Billinge