The TV Thread

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying Silk again this series. I find it compelling watching and think the acting from the lead characters superb.  

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying Silk again this series. I find it compelling watching and think the acting from the lead characters superb.  

It really isn't my kind of programme, but that's a quality cast there.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Meant to say before: top quality Flemish bonkers crime twisty thriller Salamander was good fun.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Started watching W1A by accident but I reckon it's pretty good. The girl who used to be Cheryl in the Royle Family is great.

Good cast there. Hugh Bonneville, Nina Sosanya, Jessica Hynes. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have been enjoying W1A, but it's very close to disappearing up it's own backside at times.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I have been enjoying W1A, but it's very close to disappearing up it's own backside at times.

...although that could be the point. :P 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's getting to the point where Friday night television is becoming a no-brainer!

Tonight:

21:00
Robert Plant: By Myself
Robert Plant discusses his musical journey from Stourbridge to superstardom. ®

22:00
The Genius of Bert Jansch: Folk, Blues and Beyond
Interviews, archive footage and performances celebrating the songs of Bert Jansch.

23:30
Fleetwood Mac: Don't Stop
The story of one of the biggest-selling bands of all time, told in their own words.

00:30
BBC Four Sessions
Bert Jansch
Scottish singer-songwriter and guitarist Bert Jansch performs with star guests.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

...although that could be the point. :P

I know that's an element of it, but it doesn't have to be quite so bloody smug about it

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

True Detective has been good so far.

I think there are only two episodes left.

Edited by Grollo

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

How could I? You can't move for someone wittering on about it. Wonderfully made no doubt, but really not up my street at all. Sometimes I think I'm the only person on Earth who doesn't like it!

Although - top tip - Sky Atlantic are showing the first episode at 2am on Sunday Night/Monday Morning at the same time as the US. Worth setting the Sky+ if you are one of those impatient types.

SQL Honours

How could I? You can't move for someone wittering on about it. Wonderfully made no doubt, but really not up my street at all. Sometimes I think I'm the only person on Earth who doesn't like it!

Although - top tip - Sky Atlantic are showing the first episode at 2am on Sunday Night/Monday Morning at the same time as the US. Worth setting the Sky+ if you are one of those impatient types.

The books are better as they allow more depth rather than the producers trying to hide some of the inevitable gaps with extra nudity.  There's one hell of a lot missed from the books to TV but then that's the nature of the medium.  Good but, well, not as good as the books.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Brucie leaves 'Strictly'!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The books are better as they allow more depth rather than the producers trying to hide some of the inevitable gaps with extra nudity.  There's one hell of a lot missed from the books to TV but then that's the nature of the medium.  Good but, well, not as good as the books.

I sort of gave up after 5 books. I mean to go back one day to finish the series but after a great start I felt it sort of lost it's way and was being dragged out for the sake of it. No idea how many books there are in the series or if they have finally reached a conclusion yet.

...  the producers trying to hide some of the inevitable gaps with extra nudity. 

Hmm, Indira Varma is joining the cast this season.

Wouldn't it be terrible ... ;)

200px-Indira_Varma.jpg

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I've never watched or even been remotely interesting in watching either Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad. Not one for bandwagons me, nor can I be bothered to do catch up box-set stuff anymore.

I am looking forward to Monday though, 7.30pm BBC2, Great British Menu is back. I think it's a lot better than Masterchef - which I don't watch - because it's 'proper' chefs at the top of their game competing in a wholly uncomplicated format. Nice.

Game of Thrones is great.

The Trip is back tonight as well, really enjoyed the last series.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Game of Thrones is great.  I have read every book.  They are books about people and political intrigue rather than dragons and goblins.

I first saw it in the US part way through series 2.  A group of us saw it half way through an episode, saw it through and found out what the programme was to see the rest.

That said, it is starting to feel a little like a soap opera. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

It's hard going, not because of the story line but the 2 main characters are very intense. I am about 1/2 way through and going to keep on with it.

It is intense. I also find some of the dialogue is hard to follow, especially with Matthew McConaughey.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

Has anyone watched 15 to 1 with Sandi Toksvig presenting. I usually like Sandi but her performance is slow, laboured and littered with errors in pronunciation and understanding on her part. Frankly, I find it difficult to watch!