The TV Thread

I liked the original 15 to 1 and I like Sandi, but this revival is utterly dreadful. It's slow and needlesly drawn out over an hour Wasn't the original only half an hour? 45 mins max surely.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I'll stick this here because I watched it on telly...

Watched Man of Steel tonight. Nope, didn't enjoy it. It was just a film about aliens. The lack of a decent theme just made it bland. A well timed triumphant John Williams' Superman theme might have made it better.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'll stick this here because I watched it on telly...

Watched Man of Steel tonight. Nope, didn't enjoy it. It was just a film about aliens. The lack of a decent theme just made it bland. A well timed triumphant John Williams' Superman theme might have made it better.

was awful. Hate what they did with the battle scenes.

Spoiler free!

Just had a Walking Dead marathon today.  Now THAT's how to finish a series.

The second half of this series took a markedly different and more personal approach to things, becoming a lot darker in areas but with some well thought out areas of light.  I thought it was outstanding writing and outstanding acting and probably the best season yet.  One hell of a lot later than I planned and I now need to get to sleep for work in the morning.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I briefly turned over from BBC breakfast this morning for a fix of Susanna Reid. It lasted a couple of minutes before switching back to BBC

Could you see her behind all her make-up? The presenters are all plastered in it, and it's orange.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I'm slightly behind the times with my TV viewing again, but inspired by a recent trip to Normandy and having visited many of the D-Day sites and memorials over there, I decided to finally get round to watching the box set of Band of Brothers that has been sat on my DVD shelf unopened for many a long year.

I wish I hadn't left it so long now. Absolutely superb viewing. Totally gripping, horrifying and inspiring. The cameos at the beginning of each episode with the actual veterans talking about the various campaigns they were involved in being depicted on screen are incredibly moving.

I'm slightly behind the times with my TV viewing again, but inspired by a recent trip to Normandy and having visited many of the D-Day sites and memorials over there, I decided to finally get round to watching the box set of Band of Brothers that has been sat on my DVD shelf unopened for many a long year.

I wish I hadn't left it so long now. Absolutely superb viewing. Totally gripping, horrifying and inspiring. The cameos at the beginning of each episode with the actual veterans talking about the various campaigns they were involved in being depicted on screen are incredibly moving.

My favourite tv show (ok, mini series) ever.

Well that and The Royle Family (but only to The Queen of Sheba).

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Try watching the Russian Television News on Sky channel 512. It gives a completely different angle on the Ukraine crisis. It also shows active footage of what's going on in the streets.

Seems to me that the Ukrainian soldiers and government dept personnel are just as ruthless and vicious as the Russian rebels.

Propaganda? Maybe, but no worse than the pro-Kiev slant the mainstream UK channels are shoving down our throats.

The BBC should be ashamed of itself.

Try watching the Russian Television News on Sky channel 512. It gives a completely different angle on the Ukraine crisis. 

Really?  You do surprise me.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Yes but the station shows actual footage, not a shot of a reporter stood on top of a hotel about  a mile away from where the action is taking place.

It seems the Ukraine government can't do anything about the eastern-half defectors so is wreaking revenge on the ethnic-russians in the western half of the country.

The BBC is projecting Ukraine as a poor defenceless country beset by the big Russian bully. That may well be true but, before all this kicked off, it was happy to default on its payments for Russian gas and previous presidential candidates have poisoned or thrown in jail. One former Ukrainian Prime Minister was convicted in the United States on charges of money laundering and fraud for billions of dollars.

It is a banana republic and the EU should have nothing to do with it.

It seems the Ukraine government can't do anything about the eastern-half defectors so is wreaking revenge on the ethnic-russians in the western half of the country.

How brave of the state controlled Russian media to point this out.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

True, but people should have a look at RT HD  for themselves before being so entrenched in the opinions that have been fed to them by the western media.

Assad was presented as the evil monster (which he is) but the Syrian rebel organisations have proven to be just as nasty. Today, they've been outmonstered in Homs, leaving poor civilians to count the cost, carry the scars and pick up the pieces of their broken families.

Was it worth taking Assad on? No.

True, but people should have a look at RT HD  for themselves before being so entrenched in the opinions that have been fed to them by the western media.

Assad was presented as the evil monster (which he is) but the Syrian rebel organisations have proven to be just as nasty. Today, they've been outmonstered in Homs, leaving poor civilians to count the cost, carry the scars and pick up the pieces of their broken families.

Was it worth taking Assad on? No.

There were many voices about Assad's opponents presented in the western media.  It's one of the reason why the government couldn't just march us into war this time.

.. people should have a look ... for themselves before being so entrenched in the opinions that have been fed to them by the ... media.

Yeah, because when they don't they end up voting for xenophobic chancer nationalists who pretend to have the interests of the people at heart whlist fleecing 'the system' to the tune of £2 million a year. Who'd be daft enough to vote for that?

Meanwhile, on the telly, I've been enjoying the glossy US remake of The Tomorrow People. Ok, so it's a bit of a Heroes rip-off, but wasn't Heroes just a rip-off of the original Tomorrow People anyway, with a bigger budget and better effects? The new Tomorrow People series pays several homages to the original tuppence ha'penny early 1970s ITV kids sci-fi show, including a brief cameo from one of its original cast members, which only adds to its charm IMO.

I'm also watching the second series of 'Derek' on Channel 4. It's only occasionally funny, but if I should end my days in a residential care home, I hope it's like the one portrayed in this show rather than the one featured on a recent edition of Panorama where staff misinterpreted the term 'care' as meaning 'brutalising defenceless old people'.

The music from the original Tomorrow People was really freaky and quite scary at the time. I bet the effects were really terrible too in retrospect.

Ah yes, a still brilliant theme toon. I loved that show as a kid, but it doesn't bear up too well if you rewatch it.

Ah yes, a still brilliant theme toon. I loved that show as a kid, but it doesn't bear up too well if you rewatch it.

Just looked at the IMDB page and don't seem to recognise any of the cast from anything else.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chris Chittell has served a life sentence in Emmerdale Farm.

Geoffrey Bayldon was Catweazle.

I have known a few different people nicknamed Catweazle

Chris Chittell has served a life sentence in Emmerdale Farm.

Geoffrey Bayldon was Catweazle.

I have known a few different people nicknamed Catweazle

Oops, missed Bayldon's name!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just looked at the IMDB page and don't seem to recognise any of the cast from anything else.

I doubt many of them ever worked again. It's a show full of great ideas, but made for peanuts and really badly acted by its child/young adult stars. Not that I noticed that when I first watched it aged 7. I thought it was ace! :)

Was there a guy in it called Michael Rodd? Or was that Tomorrow's World?

Tomorrow's World. And Screen Test! ( "And now, here's a clip from the latest release by the Children's Film Foundation..." )