The TV Thread

Been catching up on the tunnel

Clemence poesy sigh

I've had trouble picking up the dialogue apart from the subtitled stuff in French, but it's been good stuff. Haven't seen the denouement yet.

It's been a poor summer for tv drama, which US my favourite reason for watching the telly

I had last night's holby city almost ruined by a thankfully one off appearance by Helen Flanagan. I know holby and casualty are garbage apart from zoe and Serena, but for some reason I enjoy abandoning disbelief.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I've also been watching The 100 (E4), a better than average US drama about survivors from a space ark coping with life on a post-apocalyptic Earth. No doubt it'll be cancelled half way through, leaving viewers up in the air. Grrr.

I know it has been renewed for a second season - I think the first one was one of the most popular shows on the network it's on in America.

Agree that in recognition terms it's probably one of the poorest Celebrity Big Brother lineups so far. A fair few I had to look up and I consider myself at one with trash celeb culture. That said already there seem to be some fireworks so in terms of the actual "characters" it will probably be quite good. Not sure how Gary Busey passed the psych test though...

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

My day is considerably improved when I catch an episode of Parks and Recreation.

Other than that it appears that I literally only watch sport channels.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Even by todays standards I don't see how some bloke off Gogglebox (which is an ok programme) counts as a celebrity. Besides, they should have had that lad on that never says anything.

Surely by today's standards that very much is a celebrity - a bloke off the tv!

My day is considerably improved when I catch an episode of Parks and Recreation.

Other than that it appears that I literally only watch sport channels.

Because you mentioned Parks & Rec I *literally* read the final sentance in the style of Rob Lowe on that show. Don't know if you meant it though.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

I watched the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who in the cinema across the road from Wembley Stadium on Saturday night. There were a few frustrating technical hitches before and after, but fortunately we got to see the episode itself in full and with no glitches.

It looked very impressive on the big screen, not bad at all for a show that's made for TV. I enjoyed it immensely.

I think the show remains in safe hands with Peter Capaldi in the lead role and Steven Moffat, who just won an Emmy for his work on Sherlock, as lead writer.

Daleks next week! :)

I watched the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who in the cinema across the road from Wembley Stadium on Saturday night. There were a few frustrating technical hitches before and after, but fortunately we got to see the episode itself in full and with no glitches.

It looked very impressive on the big screen, not bad at all for a show that's made for TV. I enjoyed it immensely.

I think the show remains in safe hands with Peter Capaldi in the lead role and Steven Moffat, who just won an Emmy for his work on Sherlock, as lead writer.

I watched the opening episode. Dr Who isn't for me, although I liked it when I was a kid.

It must be well over thirty years since Ive seen it apart from trailers. The production values are light years ahead as it were from those days, although I see the daleks are back soon. Have they figured out a way of getting them up and down stairs yet? I'm not being funny or owt. 

Keeping it local

In the club is on tonight. A pox on it.

if women were stereotyped in the same way that men are stereotyped on this bag o sh yte there would quite rightly be hell on. It happens a lot in adverts as well

Keeping it local

I missed the second Matt Smith season and must admit despite enjoying Capaldi's first episode I was totally lost on some aspects of the story. Did you have to have seen the last series in order to understand everything or am I just too old? 

Fides invicta triumphat

I watched the opening episode. Dr Who isn't for me, although I liked it when I was a kid.

It must be well over thirty years since Ive seen it apart from trailers. The production values are light years ahead as it were from those days, although I see the daleks are back soon. Have they figured out a way of getting them up and down stairs yet? I'm not being funny or owt. 

Oh yes, Daleks have been flying up stairs since the days of wobbly sets and Sylvester McCoy! ;)

I missed the second Matt Smith season and must admit despite enjoying Capaldi's first episode I was totally lost on some aspects of the story. Did you have to have seen the last series in order to understand everything or am I just too old? 

One of the minor plot threads was something left dangling (presumed forgotten) from a Matt Smith episode about a year ago. There were a few references from yesteryear – the main one being the villains had a link to a story from David Tennant’s first series. I don’t think either were absolutely necessary to understanding the plot though

I didn’t watch it go out on Saturday and so was a bit apprehensive when I’d seen a few comments saying it was a complicated episode to follow – when I caught up with it the next day I thought it was actually one of the more straightforward episodes in recent times – I loved the 50th Anniversary episode and the following Christmas Special but at times they were a bit gobbledygook-tastic.

SQL Honours

One of the minor plot threads was something left dangling (presumed forgotten) from a Matt Smith episode about a year ago. There were a few references from yesteryear – the main one being the villains had a link to a story from David Tennant’s first series. I don’t think either were absolutely necessary to understanding the plot though

I didn’t watch it go out on Saturday and so was a bit apprehensive when I’d seen a few comments saying it was a complicated episode to follow – when I caught up with it the next day I thought it was actually one of the more straightforward episodes in recent times – I loved the 50th Anniversary episode and the following Christmas Special but at times they were a bit gobbledygook-tastic.

Yeah, I loved the 'Girl in the fireplace' episode and thought the clockwork baddies looked familiar. My confusion was the sexy lizard lesbian lady and the sontaron (who last time I looked were an enemy of the Doc) who were strolling around Victorian London without anyone turning a head. 

Fides invicta triumphat

Yeah, I loved the 'Girl in the fireplace' episode and thought the clockwork baddies looked familiar. My confusion was the sexy lizard lesbian lady and the sontaron (who last time I looked were an enemy of the Doc) who were strolling around Victorian London without anyone turning a head. 

It's considered extremely rude to make eye contact in London.  The weirder the exhibition someone is putting on the greater the avoidance should be.  I'm sure Godzilla could come stomping up the Thames, use HMS Belfast as a toothpick before flattening all of central London and you'd get no more than a few harrumphs from people when their trains are delayed because the lines are down.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The Paternoster Gang

Ah yes. I don't think they have ever adequately explained why they just walk around willy nilly (if they have I've forgotten). Presumably Madame Vestra bought her veil at the same disguises shop where they sold Clark Kent his glasses.

SQL Honours

Anyway, I have found an actual current TV programme although, as is traditional, I am so far behind the curve as to be untrue.

Cuckoo, now apparently in its 2nd series, is making me laugh rather a lot.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anyway, I have found an actual current TV programme although, as is traditional, I am so far behind the curve as to be untrue.

Cuckoo, now apparently in its 2nd series, is making me laugh rather a lot.

The first series was quite a bit different as you may be aware - the lead was Andy Samberg (the father of this new Cuckoo) - and also the daughter has been recast and as such it feels like a different show now. Personally I don't think it's as good, and it isn't as focused as before but there are enough laughs in there to keep watching. Greg Davies turns in very funny performances in most things he does.

SQL Honours

The first series was quite a bit different as you may be aware - the lead was Andy Samberg (the father of this new Cuckoo) - and also the daughter has been recast and as such it feels like a different show now. Personally I don't think it's as good, and it isn't as focused as before but there are enough laughs in there to keep watching. Greg Davies turns in very funny performances in most things he does.

Yes, I picked up that they'd made some (many) changes.  It does seem a bit scattergun but the performances are strong and there are many decent laughs.

The first series was quite a bit different as you may be aware - the lead was Andy Samberg (the father of this new Cuckoo) - and also the daughter has been recast and as such it feels like a different show now. Personally I don't think it's as good, and it isn't as focused as before but there are enough laughs in there to keep watching. Greg Davies turns in very funny performances in most things he does

Don't think its quite as good as the first series but there are some genuine laugh out loud moments. Greg Davies is the star though.

Tonight on Dave, from 7pm, the complete series of 'Blackadder goes forth'. Just thought you'd like to know.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In the club is on tonight. A pox on it.

if women were stereotyped in the same way that men are stereotyped on this bag o sh yte there would quite rightly be hell on. It happens a lot in adverts as well

Also, you would have thought that the actors would at least try to attempt a proper Yorkshire accent. There is too much of the clichéd t'ward, t'nurse and t'shop.

Just switched over and watched the second half of 'Doctor Who' for the first time in quite a whilw. Nice to see a good fun adventure instead of the usual "ooh, is the Doctor good really and who is he really and what is the meaning of everything really and that" navelgazing. Swashes buckled, thighs slapped and, almost certainly, mead quaffed.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson