The TV Thread

Anyone see the first part of the BBC series 'Our World War' on BBC3 last night.  Told the story of the first three VC's to be awarded on the first day of the Battle of Mons in 1914, grim, very well made and acted.   Part 2 tells the story of a firing squad member and part three looks at the first time tanks were used in battle.  If its on I-player, I'd recommend you watch it.  Gripping stuff.

Our-World-War.jpg

I caught up with that on the iPlayer. The acting was very good but couldn't be doing with the 'lets stick a go pro on the end of a rifle' type shots. A small detail that they caught that I liked was that the professional BEF used their middle fingers on the trigger to free up their index finger to work the bolt action on the Lee Enfields. Quite haunting hearing the voice of the soldier who was severely wounded and captured by the Germans. 

Fides invicta triumphat

Scott and Bailey tonight.

Amelia Bullmore is brilliant but it looks like she's departing.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Watching the new Attenborough series 'Life Story', and Barnacle goslings make Rugby League players look like wimps.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watching the new Attenborough series 'Life Story', and Barnacle goslings make Rugby League players look like wimps.

The whole thing was another Attenborough spectacular. Can't wait 'til next week.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Loved Educating the East End last night. What an inspirational young man Christopher is. What a great school!

Obviously there is selection bias and thousands of hours of footage have been carefully edited, but it is heartening to see the good work that goes on in schools. I was surprised that things have changed considerably in the 20 years I was at school. For better or worse there seems to be a much more casual attitude by staff and pupils in their behaviour and approach to the lessons. The discipline and support systems that the schools have in place are more thought through than when I was at school, i.e., having a non-teaching counsellor overseeing the `time out' room.

Perhaps this isn't a fair comparison since my school was put on special measures just after I left.

Fides invicta triumphat

On the iPlayer, a whole lot of early David Attenborough nature programmes. Quest under Capricorn, Zambezi, The Miracle of Bali, the People of Paradise, Zoo Quest.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Where is Kirmington? Is it also in drippy accent land?

North Lincolnshire, I don't know where the border of drippy accent land is so I can't really answer the second question.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Loved Educating the East End last night. What an inspirational young man Christopher is. What a great school!

It has been a very interesting series, like Educating Yorkshire before it. Good to see schools and those who work and learn in them presented so positively.

Oooo what side is that on? I rather like Mr G.

Last in the series, but repeated tonight at 10;40pm. Not the best programme of the series, but still fun.

Ralph Waldo Emerson