The TV Thread

Documentary on ITV4 at 10.00 tonight about Jason Robinson. Has this been on before? And if so, did it mention Rugby League?

He was interviewed about it on Radio 5 today. RL did get the odd mention, but that interview was more about his personal problems than about his sporting career.

If he hadn't said "y'know" every sentence, the interview would have been a lot shorter...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My cant miss prog at the moment.Simply sublime you never know whats coming.

Sheridan Smith great.

Steve Pemberton loves playing dodgy germans.

Thank you TRL ers. It was this thread on Inside No 9 that prompted me to watch it on " catch up"

It's brilliant. I hope they show series 1 again

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Thank you TRL ers. It was this thread on Inside No 9 that prompted me to watch it on " catch up"

It's brilliant. I hope they show series 1 again

I'd message you about how to download series 1, but I think your PM inbox is full.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hmm, there are a couple of free Kindle apps that allow you to watch sports broadcasts from the UK and abroad. I've just downloaded one, and am watching IPL cricket!

Legalities? Well, it is sold on Amazon's own site, so I'd assume it was somehow on the level. You have to click through an advert or two when you change screens, as well as watching one full advert every now and then, but the picture quality's passable and I can live with the occasional bit of buffering.

Not all the channels work, and the interface is not great, but what the hell.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Having a night catching up on the telly tonight and watching Criminal Minds, season 10, episode 3: A Thousand Suns.  Yeeesh... after the Germanwings and Malaysia Airlines in Ukraine flights that's certainly a creepy episode.

Right up to about half-way through the episode, they were talking about the potential of the co-pilot doing a suicide run and taking the 150 passengers with him. :O

I wonder if that co-pilot of the Germanwings flight saw that episode and got the idea from that.

I need a whisky.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Having a night catching up on the telly tonight and watching Criminal Minds, season 10, episode 3: A Thousand Suns.  Yeeesh... after the Germanwings and Malaysia Airlines in Ukraine flights that's certainly a creepy episode.

Right up to about half-way through the episode, they were talking about the potential of the co-pilot doing a suicide run and taking the 150 passengers with him. :O

I wonder if that co-pilot of the Germanwings flight saw that episode and got the idea from that.

I need a whisky.

And the co-pilot in the episode had a history of depression, treatment and medication.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Looking forward to Game of Thrones starting again tonight.....similarly to Breaking Bad, I initially resisted watching this due to the hype but I have to say, after a couple of episodes I was hooked and now have several seasons to catch up on!!

It really is epic in terms of characters and plots and the violence is brutal.....it's great the way it seems to have resurrected lots of random British actors and launched the careers of new ones too

Edited by chuffer

Orphan Black is back on Saturday for series 3!  Pity it's not in the UK, despite being paid for by the BBC...

Newzoids launched tonight following much fanfare heralding the 'new Spitting Image'. Can't say I was impressed.

The puppets are recognizable but the voices in the main could be anybody. And despite an absolute army of writers the programme was pretty much joke free.

Anybody else see it?

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

Newzoids launched tonight following much fanfare heralding the 'new Spitting Image'. Can't say I was impressed.

The puppets are recognizable but the voices in the main could be anybody. And despite an absolute army of writers the programme was pretty much joke free.

Anybody else see it?

I watch 5 minutes and to be honest that was too long.

Anybody else see it?

Yes.

I thought it was pretty good.

Made me laugh out loud a few times.

Very much reminded me of Spitting Image, and was just as hit and miss in its heyday. People only remember the good bits now.

Hopefully this new show will run as long and grow into a worthwhile (and rare) bit of primetime satire, a genre that's almost extinct on the mainstream channels these days. Well done to ITV for at least having a go.

I missed 'Newzoids', so have just had a watch on the ITVPlayer. I managed 8 minutes. Hard work it was, too.

It's all a bit tame, some of the voices are okay, some very poor and it wasn't particularly funny. Whoever played David Cameron seemed never to have actually heard him speak before.

I remember 'Spitting Image' and although it was always hit and miss, at least it hit now and then, and hit hard. Newzoids just seems a bit scared to have a real go. The puppet caricatures are also less vicious than Fluck & Law's ones.

It is more like 'DC Follies' than 'Spitting Image'.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anybody else see it?

Pretty disappointed with it tbh, the material wasn't too bad, but the puppets are so lame compared to what they had with Spitting Image, they just look like dolls with animated faces. It's very rare for anything in the modern age to be significantly worse than it's equivalent from 30 years ago, yet Newzoids has somehow managed it.

Edited by scrumblebee

I missed 'Newzoids', so have just had a watch on the ITVPlayer. I managed 8 minutes. Hard work it was, too.

It's all a bit tame, some of the voices are okay, some very poor and it wasn't particularly funny. Whoever played David Cameron seemed never to have actually heard him speak before.

I remember 'Spitting Image' and although it was always hit and miss, at least it hit now and then, and hit hard. Newzoids just seems a bit scared to have a real go. The puppet caricatures are also less vicious than Fluck & Law's ones.

It is more like 'DC Follies' than 'Spitting Image'.

I did wonder if the writers were frightened of causing controversy during the election campaign, but surely that's what political satire is all about? I've got it on series link so I'll give it another go, but it needs to improve massively.

I'm glad John D found it funny. As webmaster on here he certainly needs a sense of humour. 

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

No tears to cry no feelings left

I did wonder if the writers were frightened of causing controversy during the election campaign, but surely that's what political satire is all about? I've got it on series link so I'll give it another go, but it needs to improve massively.

I'm glad John D found it funny. As webmaster on here he certainly needs a sense of humour. 

I'll definitely give episode 2 a chance, just in case.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watched Newzoids tonight.  Wasn't awful, just seemed like it tried too hard to be fair to all the main political parties.

Channel 4's 'Ballot Monkeys' made a promising start last night, despite having to introduce 4 separate sets of characters.

A decent cast and writers who are experienced at inserting last-minute topical lines (as they did on 'Drop the dead Donkey'). And the joke about Tony Blair and the Chilcot Enquiry... if it was a joke!  :biggrin:

More bite than 'Newzoids', certainly.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Things you never expected to read in the Radio Times, but really did #427: Chris Kamara and Coleen Nolan host a speed dating event for rabbits.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

'Newzoids' episode 2. A bit better.

Still lacking real satirical fangs.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Channel 4's 'Ballot Monkeys' made a promising start last night, despite having to introduce 4 separate sets of characters.

A decent cast and writers who are experienced at inserting last-minute topical lines (as they did on 'Drop the dead Donkey'). And the joke about Tony Blair and the Chilcot Enquiry... if it was a joke!  :biggrin:

More bite than 'Newzoids', certainly.

Yes - I really enjoyed this. Some very cutting lines certainly - I thought it could have gone either way before it aired, but I should have known with the writers involved and some of the cast that we were in safe hands. Ben Miller as the Lib Dem constantly referencing Foinavon was very good.

More of this kind of thing please.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Didn't have high hopes from the adverts... But have enjoyed Car Share with Peter Kay on the iPlayer.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Caught up with Ballot Monkeys.  Very good considering how it is written so close to airing.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!