The TV Thread

I found it quite boring to be honest. I think we must be reaching saturation point on the superhero front, all the storylines blend into one these days. I tried watching the latest Marvel offering with Agent Carter and apart from the busty, sexy woman playing Carter there's a pretty weak storyline.

Boring is the last word I would use to describe Daredevil, but each to their own and all that. It's certainly the least superhero-y of the majority of things out there and uses it's format well to study the characters in a way most of the movies don't/won't. The Kingpin is actually the first villain in the Marvel side you actually get to know a bit about his motivations. I think it's the only tv series from both DC and Marvel in the past few years that has been worth watching anyway, but can understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I watched the Eighties serialisation of 'The Day of theTriffids' last night. Still good.

Watched it a while back on BBC4, and a very long while back, when it first came out. Still very good.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Boring is the last word I would use to describe Daredevil, but each to their own and all that. It's certainly the least superhero-y of the majority of things out there and uses it's format well to study the characters in a way most of the movies don't/won't. The Kingpin is actually the first villain in the Marvel side you actually get to know a bit about his motivations. I think it's the only tv series from both DC and Marvel in the past few years that has been worth watching anyway, but can understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea

I've only seen the first two episodes so far, but agree with this.

I'm enjoying it more then I actually thought, and will be watching a few episodes each evening if possible. Still trying to fit in the whole of the X-Files and Twin Peaks, as both will be making a welcome return in the future

Watched it a while back on BBC4, and a very long while back, when it first came out. Still very good.

I never saw it when it was originally broadcast, but because it wasn't set "in the future", the only SFX are the shooting stars, the triffids themselves (which are very well-designed) and the triffid gun (bad SFX, but wisely only once seen in action).

The feel of the series is different to the book, updated to the Eighties and with Bill as very much an everyman of his time, compared to the book's more urbane 'chap'. Surprisingly little of the book's substance is cut from the screenplay.

Of the other Wyndham books, there are some which have apparently not been filmed, and which might make good TV, like 'The Kraken wakes' or 'The Chrysalids'.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's  also got Vikings, a similar big budget fictional drama. I've not seen it, but been told it's pretty flipping good.

I don't watch it because I'm a Celt. We can't handle all those funny names.

;)

PS: I 've sen the Hull band Sordid Lies a couple of times;  I really like them. The guitarist wears a pirate's hat, which is an added bonus.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

It's  also got Vikings, a similar big budget fictional drama. I've not seen it, but been told it's pretty flipping good.

;)

PS: I 've sen the Hull band Sordid Lies a couple of times;  I really like them. The guitarist wears a pirate's hat, which is an added bonus.

They're one of a multitude of local bands playing the Humber Street Sesh on Saturday. I'll try and get to see them.

I notice they're also playing Sunk Fest at Sunk Island on August bank holiday weekend. Anybody who's ever been to Sunk Island will know just how surreal a concept that is.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

'All Aboard! The Canal Trip' on BBC4

2 hours of travelling down a canal.  No narration, shot in real time, one camera.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

It's also got Vikings, a similar big budget fictional drama. I've not seen it, but been told it's pretty flipping good.

;)

PS: I 've sen the Hull band Sordid Lies a couple of times; I really like them. The guitarist wears a pirate's hat, which is an added bonus.

Vikings is really good it's a definite watch.

ITV's BBQ Challenge. Seriously underwhelming BBQ skills, and with the utterly superfluous presence of Myleene Klass, the female Richard Clayderman.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'All Aboard! The Canal Trip' on BBC4

2 hours of travelling down a canal.  No narration, shot in real time, one camera.

Oddly, that could be quite good, depending on where they go.

They were escaping from Lancashire.

No, they weren't actually. That's why it was boring.

Very relaxing, if you're in the mood.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On the BoxSets channel they have been showing a full season of The Wire every Saturday, repeated on the following Wednesday. It usually overlaps a bit with the 3rd NRL game but I still caught most of it.

Coincidence? or some type of subliminal suggestion? I'm flicking through channels after the NRL game and land on Britain’s Best Canals with John Sergeant.

Coincidence? or some type of subliminal suggestion? I'm flicking through channels after the NRL game and land on Britain’s Best Canals with John Sergeant.

That's not the same programme as the 'All aboard' thing, BTW.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes I realised that from the dialogue and the fact it only ran for 30 minutes. I've seen a few of the canals in Devon and, to an Aussie, they're an oddity. We don't have many here. In fact, there is more fresh water in the Mississippi River than in the entire AUS continent, including every dam, river, creek, swamp and pond.

That was a good series.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I remember a long-ago canal holiday in the Canal du Nivernais in France. I was probably too young to appreciate the long, quiet periods when little happened (we had only packed two books for the whole family), but I did enjoy it overall. Especially the way you entered the centre of towns by water instead of road, which gave you a different perspective.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On the Great British Bake Off, the first casualty is the smug hipster. Yes! B) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've been watching a dusty old DVD of 'Sapphire & Steel' starring Joanna Lumley & David McCallum and marvelling that something as unusual as this used to go out on early evening ITV. Those were t'days.

I've been watching a dusty old DVD of 'Sapphire & Steel' starring Joanna Lumley & David McCallum and marvelling that something as unusual as this used to go out on early evening ITV. Those were t'days.

You're not wrong. Strange stuff, and slow-paced too.

I have the box set.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and a load of American TV's big hitters are making a drama series about the Punk Rock scene in New York. Here's a teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2irZnQMovI

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seth MacFarlane has just about pushed the limits as far as he possibly can in the USA with the latest Family Guy episode on BBC2 -  'The 2,000-year-old virgin', in which Peter and his friends meet Jesus and try to help him lose his virginity.

In the meantime, I've finally started watching The Wire on Sky Box Sets. Pretty good - certainly deserves its reputation but I still think The Sopranos is the best TV drama ever made.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"