The TV Thread

Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and a load of American TV's big hitters are making a drama series about the Punk Rock scene in New York.

Hope (purely for reasons of authenticity, of course) it includes Debbie Harry and Chris Stein getting it on in the back alley behind CBGB's.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Hope (purely for reasons of authenticity, of course) it includes Debbie Harry and Chris Stein getting it on in the back alley behind CBGB's.

It appears that Malin Akerman is cast as the divine Debbie.

Alan Rickman as Hilly Krystal and Rupert Grint as Cheetah Chrome are two others I've heard about.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watching some old video files from the 1990s and I have 2 observations.

Fantasy World Cup: David Baddiel and Frank Skinner make a very near-the-bone comment or two about Jimmy Savile. In 1998.

and, on a lighter note,

In an episode of 'Chelmsford 123', when Philip Pope's oily character Grasientus is about to be knocked out, you can clearly see and hear a mattress being slid into place behind him so he can do a fall.  :haha:

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's  also got Vikings, a similar big budget fictional drama. I've not seen it, but been told it's pretty flipping good.

I don't watch it because I'm a Celt. We can't handle all those funny names.

;)

PS: I 've sen the Hull band Sordid Lies a couple of times;  I really like them. The guitarist wears a pirate's hat, which is an added bonus.

I caught the end of Sordid Lies' set at the Sesh, very enjoyable.

I'm also enjoying Black Sails very much indeed. The last episode I watched was Captain Flint hunting down and engaging the Andromache, top telly. I liked the attention to detail. Somebody working on the series knows their stuff when it comes to rigging a sailing ship.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

There's a film just started on BBC1 called Lesbian Vampire Killers.  Now, are they killers who hunt lesbian vampires or vampire killers who are lesbians themselves?

Edit: Ah, lesbian vampires.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

There's a film just started on BBC1 called Lesbian Vampire Killers.  Now, are they killers who hunt lesbian vampires or vampire killers who are lesbians themselves?

Edit: Ah, lesbian vampires.

You mean there are other types of vampires? Wow! You live and learn.

Or maybe not.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• 4 weeks later...

On BBC4 right now, a documentary about the artist M.C.Escher. So far, very good indeed.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

First episode of the new series of Doctor Who on Saturday was outstanding.

Included a call back to one of the most memorable scenes ever broadcast in the original show.

A contemplation on the morality of genocide on a Saturday teatime, and some call this a kids show! ;)

Great programme on BBC2 -

Don't Panic - How to end poverty in 15 years.

Another in the "why the BBC is worth it" column.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Hmm, episode 2 of the all-new 'Danger Mouse' features DM being attacked by a giant fish with lobster claws grafted onto it. I'll call the copyright department...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://jezebel.com/olympic-level-troll-hijacks-hln-segment-on-edward-snowd-1733833133

When you realise the host/anchor isn't actually listening to what you say...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Hmm, episode 2 of the all-new 'Danger Mouse' features DM being attacked by a giant fish with lobster claws grafted onto it. I'll call the copyright department...

BTW, the egregious poaching on Clawphin's intellectual copyright aside, the new 'Danger Mouse' is a blast. Alexander Armstrong as DM, Kevin Eldon as Penfold and Stephen Fry as Colonel K.

Other guest voices in the series will include Richard Osman, Lena Headey and John Oliver.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watched Chris Tarrant's Extreme Railway Journeys tonight. Not a fan of his at all but I thought he dealt with the death railway section with real dignity. I went along the section of railway shown a couple of years ago and the points he made rang true. I was quite touched by the scene at the cemetery at the end of the line in Burma, which looked just like the ones in Kanchanaburi (where the Bridge over the River Kwai is).. 

The part of the programme about the Burmese railways was great too. it really does look a fascinating country and there were some very funny sections such as when the train had to go over tracks with no ballast. The film really made me want to visit the country, hopefully once the last vestiges of the disgusting regime there has gone.

Ended up watching NCIS New Orleans and they mentioned a guy who was on a watch list for purchasing "polonium-making supplies."  ?@?#?@?!?  What? He bought a cyclotron on ebay? Or maybe bought a spare nuclear reactor off some guy up at the pub?

Ended up watching NCIS New Orleans and they mentioned a guy who was on a watch list for purchasing "polonium-making supplies."  ?@?#?@?!?  What? He bought a cyclotron on ebay? Or maybe bought a spare nuclear reactor off some guy up at the pub?

Bloody Tories, they'll sell anything.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I watched 'Bake off' on catch-up, as yesterday's episode of 'The Avengers' on True Entertainment was the one where Steed and Mrs Peel parted company. Wonderful programme.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

For those who missed it, there was a good documentary about the Post Office, Alan Johnson: The Post Office and Me on BBC 4 on Wednesday night (I suspect it got overlooked due to other attractions that night) :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Tonight I watched "Muscle Shoals" a 2-hour doco about the town/recording studio/sound of the mid 60s and later. If you've never heard of it, it's pretty amazing that a recording studio and later, 2 recording studios, in a town of 6,000 people at the time, produced mega hits for Wilson Pickett, Percy Sledge, Aretha Franklin and others.

One of the most amazing things about FAME Studio in Muscle Shoals was that the single "When a Man Loves a Woman" established the "Muscle Shoals sound." Even though this was one of the main strains of black pop music in the 60s (along with Atlantic and Tamla Motown) the musicians were all local white teenagers, Alabama rednecks.

Tonight I watched "Muscle Shoals" a 2-hour doco about the town/recording studio/sound of the mid 60s and later. If you've never heard of it, it's pretty amazing that a recording studio and later, 2 recording studios, in a town of 6,000 people at the time, produced mega hits for Wilson Pickett, Percy Sledge, Aretha Franklin and others.

One of the most amazing things about FAME Studio in Muscle Shoals was that the single "When a Man Loves a Woman" established the "Muscle Shoals sound." Even though this was one of the main strains of black pop music in the 60s (along with Atlantic and Tamla Motown) the musicians were all local white teenagers, Alabama rednecks.

I hope that comes to the BBC's Friday night music documentary slot soon.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Really enjoyed 'River' on BBC tonight.  Yes its another cop show, but it was very very good.

Really enjoyed 'River' on BBC tonight.  Yes its another cop show, but it was very very good.

It was pretty good - the cinematography was great but am a little concerned it's more style than substance. The Guardian weekend had hyped it up to be as good as Cracker (but it wasn't)... it was promising though and I'll definitely tune in next week to see if it follows up well

They probably should have picked a different name for that show. I googled "River tv" to see if it's on out here and I got The River, River Monsters, Cash from Cold River, Escape to River Cottage, just plain River Cottage and The Secret River.