The TV Thread

I'm hopefully moving out soon and I don't plan on getting subscription TV right away, sticking with plain old Freeview, it certainly makes you look at telly in a different light seeing what you'll be left with and what is not worth watching.

I will be nipping back home to watch t'rugby though!!

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens here - I've got Netflix which has some decent exclusives but the only one where I've been annoyed I've not had the service to watch the show is Fear The Walking Dead on BT - having seen it since I don't know what I was bothered about. However Netflix won't be the market leader forever and it'll be interesting to see what happens as the market gets more saturated every year - big year next year for Amazon who are clearly going all out with the new not quite Top Gear.

Actually some of my favourite shows this year have been Netflix exclusives - the latest being Jessica Jones, strong Buffy and Angel vibes but a lot darker.

Fired up Netflix based on that recommendation and watched the first episode of Jessica Jones. Quite good and my wife thought so as well, a bit of a rarity finding something we both like these days!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Strictly: Katie is the Waitrose shoppers candidate.

Anita is out on merit. I prefer the opinions of four high achieving and experienced professionals with proven track records of success to those of one or two conspiracy theorists. In addition, Anita was placed in the bottom two by much vaunted "democratic" vote of the great British public. To top it all, though, my wife, with her Gold, Silver and Bronze for ballroom dancing, agrees with Len .

Edited by JohnM

The return of Luther wasn't too shabby last night

Or 'Loofah', as I tend to call it.

In other news, the 'Detectorists' Christmas Special is on the 23rd Dec at 10pm (BBC4).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fired up Netflix based on that recommendation and watched the first episode of Jessica Jones. Quite good and my wife thought so as well, a bit of a rarity finding something we both like these days!

So... following a Jessica Jones binge over the last few days, we started watching Daredevil.  Bit too much biff in it for the wife so it's all mine.  That's the problem with Netflix and the follow-on feature that just fires up the next episode, wrecks all sorts of plans...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The Christmas series of Celebrity University Challenge started last night. Prominent graduates of Birmingham University were vey poor, even with dumbed-down questions.

It's about the only time of year I can break double figures of correct answers on University Challenge! I had the misfortune to watch Celebrity Mastermind last night. Two problems;

Celebrities? The only one I knew wasn't even the person I originally knew (Frank Maloney, now Kellie Maloney). The rest, no idea, but that probably says more about me and my lifestyle.

Intelligence? No, none. Cringeworthy. I felt genuinely embarrassed for the competitors.

It's about the only time of year I can break double figures of correct answers on University Challenge! I had the misfortune to watch Celebrity Mastermind last night. Two problems;

Celebrities? The only one I knew wasn't even the person I originally knew (Frank Maloney, now Kellie Maloney). The rest, no idea, but that probably says more about me and my lifestyle.

Intelligence? No, none. Cringeworthy. I felt genuinely embarrassed for the competitors.

I managed about a minute and a half. The person in the big black chair was completely thick, unable to answer the simplest of questions.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Did anyone else see "We’re Doomed! The Dad’s Army Story" last night? John Sessions was outstanding as Arthur Lowe.

I enjoyed it.  Great cast.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Did anyone else see "We’re Doomed! The Dad’s Army Story" last night? John Sessions was outstanding as Arthur Lowe.

Missed it, but it is recorded for later enjoyment. I have heard good things about it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Interesting development in televised sport, as ITV win the horse racing rights off Channel 4.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

He was indeed. A remarkable likeness in so many ways. I enjoyed the show but it was a shame it was so short. It felt that some parts of the story were a bit rushed through. Nonetheless, very watchable.

He was indeed. A remarkable likeness in so many ways. I enjoyed the show but it was a shame it was so short. It felt that some parts of the story were a bit rushed through. Nonetheless, very watchable.

It'll be interesting to compare Sessions with Toby Jones, who is playing Mainwaring in the forthcoming film version.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It'll be interesting to compare Sessions with Toby Jones, who is playing Mainwaring in the forthcoming film version.

They were both on something on the TV a couple of days ago, I don't remember what. Toby Jones said the differece was he was playing Mainwaring where as Sessions was playing Arthur Lowe.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I was talking to a mate about the forthcoming film the other day. He was adamant he wouldn't go anywhere near it because the original Dad's Army is sacrosanct in his opinion. I'm a bit more curious though, partly because I'm a big fan of Toby Jones.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

They were both on something on the TV a couple of days ago, I don't remember what. Toby Jones said the differece was he was playing Mainwaring where as Sessions was playing Arthur Lowe.

They were both on Jools Holland's New Year show.

Ralph Waldo Emerson