The TV Thread

We watched Pride tonight. Actually quite good.

I remember my granddad showing me the Sun headline about this during the miners strike when I was younger about this and saying "divide and conquer, that's how they'll win" meaning Thatcher and trying to divide society by making those "different" something less than the rest of us. It actually made me remember that woman on Question Time complaining that the cuts she was cheering on were now affecting her.

Edit: an article about the film for those who don't know the back story

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Watched episode 1 of The A Word on BBC 1 tonight. Now I have no experience of dealing with a child with autism but my wife does through her job. She thinks it's being portrayed very well so far.

If nothing else it's also a funny, well acted television program. I'm sure there will be tears also later in the series. Christopher Eccleston is in it so it is easy to recommend it.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I recently installed the Channel 4 app on my Amazon Fire Stick and they have the complete sets of 'Absolutely' and 'The Adam & Joe Show' available to watch free. Given that there's been close to naff all special on TV this holiday weekend, this has been a godsend.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watched episode 1 of The A Word on BBC 1 tonight. Now I have no experience of dealing with a child with autism but my wife does through her job. She thinks it's being portrayed very well so far.

If nothing else it's also a funny, well acted television program. I'm sure there will be tears also later in the series. Christopher Eccleston is in it so it is easy to recommend it.

Some of the more soapy bits seemed unnecessary and distracting but even whilst Little Ginger isn't identical to the boy in question a huge amount of it rang true - although they did compress the diagnosis into one or two sessions where for most people it's a lot *lot* more time than that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The Night Manager was one of the best programmes I've ever seen

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

The Night Manager was one of the best programmes I've ever seen

Agreed, one of those series that shows that when the BBC gets it right they are the best in the world. The show was very well written and very well casted - Hugh Laurie was brilliant as Roper, and Olivia Colman is brilliant in everything she does.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Homes Under the Hammer has helped us reach our first £125,000 cash savings profit from a sale, we will be on there soon.

Martin, Lucy or Dion?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Ha! Im so far out of date.

Ive just started "Peter Kay Sitting in a Car with his Workmate". S'okay.

And The Affair. Only watched first episode. Could go either way on that one....

I missed the first few episodes of Peter Kay's Car Share, but had recommendations from several people, so caught up with the series. I liked it a lot, once I got into it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Agreed, one of those series that shows that when the BBC gets it right they are the best in the world. The show was very well written and very well casted - Hugh Laurie was brilliant as Roper, and Olivia Colman is brilliant in everything she does.

read somewhere it cost £3m per episode. Good job BBC had partners!

Amazing series though.

read somewhere it cost £3m per episode. Good job BBC had partners!

Amazing series though.

I imagine they will recoup their investment in world wide sales. They certainly deserve to.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I missed the first few episodes of Peter Kay's Car Share, but had recommendations from several people, so caught up with the series. I liked it a lot, once I got into it.

Yeah I liked it in the end. Only six episodes like. The 80s music was fun and it almsot got a bit poignant at times.

Plus my mate was in it. The erm....."dogger" from episode 2. Played it like a pro' though.

Yeah I liked it in the end. Only six episodes like. The 80s music was fun and it almsot got a bit poignant at times.

Plus my mate was in it. The erm....."dogger" from episode 2. Played it like a pro' though.

your mates with him? He was in Phoenix Nights as well - one of the funniest characters in it by a mile

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I recognized him as the dogger as soon as I heard his voice, it took me straight back to Kenny Senior in Phoenix Nights, a very funny character. I have also seen him do a very accomplished stand up at The City Varieties Leeds some years ago as part of a Tour with Paddy Mcguiness and some others from Phoenix Nights. Would always welcome seeing more comedy from him.

I just found my DVD box set of 'The Nero Wolfe Mysteries', so that's the weekend gone...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I recognized him as the dogger as soon as I heard his voice, it took me straight back to Kenny Senior in Phoenix Nights, a very funny character. I have also seen him do a very accomplished stand up at The City Varieties Leeds some years ago as part of a Tour with Paddy Mcguiness and some others from Phoenix Nights. Would always welcome seeing more comedy from him.

Cheers mate! Like so many, he started out on the club scene, oddly enough as a singer to begin with. Then he got into comedy later in life which he was made for.

Discovered Demand 4 has all 7 series of Hill Street Blues. What a brilliant program. 35 years old and as good as I remembered it. Better than most tv shows nowadays. Way ahead of its time.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I am just catching up with episode 1 of ITV's The Durrells. A whole lot better than I expected; eccentric, good-natured and fun.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now that the season finale to The Walking Dead is tomorrow, I've started watching the second half of season 6.  Damn, the first episode (No Way Out) was good.  Pity it's a work night or that'd be a binge watch.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I am just catching up with episode 1 of ITV's The Durrells. A whole lot better than I expected; eccentric, good-natured and fun.

Just finished watching episode 1. Okay, Spiro is not nearly gnarled and gruff enough, and Theodore is about 30 years too young. Otherwise, very few bum notes. It takes me to a happy place.

Ralph Waldo Emerson