The TV Thread

The Reassembler on BBC4. I can't think of anyone other than James May who could carry off this sort of slow TV. 

Just watched tonight's, where he assembled a Stratocaster copy. Absorbing, in a quietly pedantic way. I think I'll catch up on the other shows.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Almost Impossible Game Show on ITV2. Baffling.

Imagine 'Total Wipeout' crossed with 'Shooting Stars' on a fraction of the budget, and with the voiceover duties taken by a sweary Irish hip-hop comedy duo.

Not as funny as it ought to be. Still, diverting.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This 'Bake off Creme de la Creme' is so off-beam in its title. What it actually should be called is 'MasterPatissier: the Professionals'.

There's no fun, no Mary, no Paul, no bonhomie, no Mel, no Sue, no knob gags, no regular folks pushing themselves to their limits, no spectacularly-testicled squirrel, no torrential rain.

The skills on show are amazing, but it really ain't 'Bake Off' and I hope the BBC haven't got more plans to dilute a great brand.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

This 'Bake off Creme de la Creme' is so off-beam in its title. What it actually should be called is 'MasterPatissier: the Professionals'.

There's no fun, no Mary, no Paul, no bonhomie, no Mel, no Sue, no knob gags, no regular folks pushing themselves to their limits, no spectacularly-testicled squirrel, no torrential rain.

The skills on show are amazing, but it really ain't 'Bake Off' and I hope the BBC haven't got more plans to dilute a great brand.

In some respects patisserie is cooking with the soul taken out. At least the programme reflects that very well.

In some respects patisserie is cooking with the soul taken out. At least the programme reflects that very well.

Agreed, patisserie is the one branch of cooking that is far more science than art.

But 'Great British Bake Off' has heart and a sense of fun. And, as I said before, knob gags.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Almost Impossible Game Show on ITV2. Baffling.

Imagine 'Total Wipeout' crossed with 'Shooting Stars' on a fraction of the budget, and with the voiceover duties taken by a sweary Irish hip-hop comedy duo.

Not as funny as it ought to be. Still, diverting.

I make no apologies about how much I laugh at this - almost all of it at the narration though which really does elevate it above the dross it actually is (in fact in most episodes they refer to how awful the show is).

Slightly higher brow - the latest series of Better Call Saul has been an absolute masterclass in slow burn drama. The latest episode bringing events to a head nicely before the final episode in the season next week.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

The BFI have made a whole load of old public information films available to watch free. All types of films, from the old Richard Massingham B&W shorts to the Green Cross Code, to 'Charlie says', to 'Protect and survive' or 'The AIDS Monolith'.

If you now have kids, you can traumatise them too!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The BFI have made a whole load of old public information films available to watch free. All types of films, from the old Richard Massingham B&W shorts to the Green Cross Code, to 'Charlie says', to 'Protect and survive' or 'The AIDS Monolith'.

If you now have kids, you can traumatise them too!

Fantastic isn't it? It includes this, one of the most terrifying films ever made: The Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water

Edited by Griff9of13

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I've found the current series of Line of Duty disappointing compared to the previous ones.

On the plus side, The Blacklist is still brilliant and there's a new series of Jack Irish.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Watching This Week.  Tolerating the odious Farage and Livingston because it's overwhelmingly made up by Katherine Jenkins :)  Giggity.  Even if she's a royalist...

Edit: I'll even put up with the dirge of the national anthem to hear her.  That tongue action.  Giggity, giggity.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Watching This Week.  Tolerating the odious Farage and Livingston because it's overwhelmingly made up by Katherine Jenkins :)  Giggity.  Even if she's a royalist...

Edit: I'll even put up with the dirge of the national anthem to hear her.  That tongue action.  Giggity, giggity.

I bet you stood to attention.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the first episode of a TV series with Sean Bean in it as the star where he didn't die.  Legends.  Didn't believe it and waited for someone to kill him but it just didn't happen, I'm now questioning reality itself.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just over halfway though tonight's BBC4 programme Forest, Field and Sky: Art out of Nature. Very good, especially the segment on Andy Goldsworthy. And if you don't know who Goldsworthy is, do an internet image search for his name and see some of his work.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Via Amazon Prime I've belatedly raced through four series of Ripper Street. Have to say I feel foolish for having given it a wide berth before. Very good indeed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

One for people of a certain generation...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you missed it, get on the iPlayer and watch 'Cunk on Shakespeare'. The writing and Diane Morgan's delivery are superb and it is so damn funny!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh, and Kurt Gidley's on A Question of Sport tonight.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh, and Kurt Gidley's on A Question of Sport tonight.

...where he's failed to recognise the Rugby World Cup trophy. :P 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

...where he's failed to recognise the Rugby World Cup trophy. :P

...and thought there was a RWC in 2004.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you missed it, get on the iPlayer and watch 'Cunk on Shakespeare'. The writing and Diane Morgan's delivery are superb and it is so damn funny!

Agreed. I was never a fan of Cunk's "Moments of Wonder" on Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe and was baffled as to why people loved that bit. After last night, I'll gladly admit I was wrong. Howling with laughter.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Agreed. I was never a fan of Cunk's "Moments of Wonder" on Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe and was baffled as to why people loved that bit. After last night, I'll gladly admit I was wrong. Howling with laughter.

I think that, instead of just being one part of the show, the writers could concentrate on honing Philomena's unshakeable imbecility to a fine edge.

I downloaded it and watched it again, only to realise that I'd missed quite a few zingers the first time around.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

There were some very funny lines, the one about Gary Barlow was the best one.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally