The TV Thread

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

cant wait for the long awaited re match between Adrian street and black jack mulligan

For a more modern twist with ties to the past, Erik Crabtree can come and have a go. I wonder if Giant Haystacks has a cousin somewhere that's equally large. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Ahh, the reassuringly familiar responses to Masterchef on social media...

• "Eww! That meat isn't cooked  cos it shud be grey all the way through"
  • "Luxury; when I were a lad, all we had for dinner was a handful of lightly-warmed gravel, which makes me a morally better person than all of you Guardianistas"
  • "Disgusting - he actually touched that ingredient with his hands *vomit-emoji* *vomit-emoji* *vomit-emoji*"
  • "Any chef cooking food that doesn't conform to my personal eating disorder fad should be either kicked out of the competition or, ideally, face a war crimes trial"
  • "I think Greg is a really good TV presenter"
  • "A bunch of remoaners cooking treacherous foreign muck. THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN AND PINKOS LIKE THAT WILL ALL BE SHIPPED BACK TO COMMY-LAND NOW WE'VE WON"
  • "I'm not even watching the programme, but this is all poncey rubbish, so I'm eating cold baked beans from a tin with my hands cos Im keeping it real, yeah?"
  • "Not been funny right but what is this kitchen show got to do with Halo cos thats a brillant game about shootin not cookin"

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On BBC 4 last night another wonderful example of "slow TV", Flying Scotsman from the Footplate. No annoying, intrusive background music. No contrived, false jeopardy. Just an hour of watching a magnificent machine and the men who tend it at work.

Edited by Griff9of13
  • Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

14 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

this weeks inside no9 may have been a repeat but for any one that hasn't seen it-  total brilliance

The 12 Days of Christine really was something special. Funny, intense, moving and ingenious. Amazing how they managed to pack so much drama into 30 minutes.

• Like 3

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I recently got lured into subscribing to Netflix, to watch the new series of Black Mirror which I'm really enjoying, with one episode still to go so no spoliers please!! ;)

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of stuff on there that I was interested in seeing, which makes the £5.99 a month look a bit of a bargain now, compared to what I pay for Sky anyway.

Thought I'd give The Crown a whirl, expecting it to be a bit cheap and trashy and give up after one episode, but I have to say I was quickly hooked and have watched the whole series and am now left hoping they make some more.

Any other recommendations for a Netflix newbie?

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I recently got lured into subscribing to Netflix, to watch the new series of Black Mirror which I'm really enjoying, with one episode still to go so no spoliers please!! ;)

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of stuff on there that I was interested in seeing, which makes the £5.99 a month look a bit of a bargain now, compared to what I pay for Sky anyway.

Thought I'd give The Crown a whirl, expecting it to be a bit cheap and trashy and give up after one episode, but I have to say I was quickly hooked and have watched the whole series and am now left hoping they make some more.

Any other recommendations for a Netflix newbie?

Stranger Things was my surprise win from Netflix.  Then there's Jessica Jones and the other Marvel shows on there that are more than worth the money.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

43 minutes ago, ckn said:

Stranger Things was my surprise win from Netflix.  Then there's Jessica Jones and the other Marvel shows on there that are more than worth the money.

I second the vote for Jessica Jones.  I also enjoyed, having read the books, A Series of Unfortunate Events.

I am watching Brooklyn Nine Nine (which I think has been on Channel 4) as it's quite wonderfully silly and over in 20 minutes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I will be signing up for Netflix for the first time next week, when the new series of Mystery Science Theater 3000 comes online.

Other than that, I would also appreciate recommendations, especially in the areas of comedy and music programmes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

There's some programme on at the moment with Dawn French (little big shots) and there's a young girl on who plays guitar. I actually saw here in Bromley playing in the street and had to stop and do a double take. She was playing Free stuff, note for note with the same vibe.  An incredibly talented guitarist, can't imagine what she'll be like in 5 years or so.

little big shots- drop the big and change the o in shots for an i -

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

American Justice on BBC2 continues to deliver.

Brilliantly put together, this week's episode wound in two threads - children who kill and the election for State Attorney. I was left contemplating the dilemmas faced by law enforcement, judiciary, legal teams and the penal system when dealing with an abused 12 year old child (for that is what he is) who has got a gun whilst living rough on the streets and has executed a homeless man by shooting him in the head. America has some serious social problems and there seems little appetite to deal with them other than by building more jails and locking people in them forever.

Black president or orange president, nothing seems to change whilst those with power and wealth live high off the hog in their gated communities.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The latest Direct Line advert starts with Harvey Keitel knocking on someone's car window. Thankfully, it didn't continue down the Bad Lieutenant direction from that point on... 

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anybody watching The Repair Shop on BBC 2? No mention of how much it costs to fix or how much money it is now worth as per American restoration. This purely concentrates on how the repairs are undertaken by skilled craftsmen. As an amateur woodturner/woodworker I find it enthralling.

how un funny is the 2nd series of peter kays car share? the 1st one was bad enough, the lance Armstrong "joke" was so weak a 10month old could have predicted the punchline, guy garvey was in the one that I just saw, he actually contributed to something more dull and boring than listening to his own music.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Revisiting an old favourite.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The new season on Mystery Science Theater 3000 is now on Netflix! They list it as season 1, but it is actually season 11... which is the 12th. Erm, obviously.

MST3K%20-%20Try%20waiting_zpssexix27d.jp

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Easter, Channel 5 got lots of complaints from whimpering grief athletes for showing 'Watership Down'.

So, this year, they showed... the same film again. Chapeau! B)

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson