The TV Thread

Just been reminded about the Last Kingdom.  A great show that has probably taught me more about this period of history than school ever did!

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

'Car Share', once again full of little details that add to the fun.

And Guy Garvey is pretty good in his recurring cameo role.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 4/23/2017 at 10:37 PM, Futtocks said:

'Car Share', once again full of little details that add to the fun.

And Guy Garvey is pretty good in his recurring cameo role.

Tonight' car share was brilliant.

Peter Kay is a very funny guy and at his best is up there with the elite. Up until tonight I have found car share an enjoyable whimsical gentle comedy.

Tonight though,  I had some real "lol" moments. The scenes in the car of the ape/monkey was almost up to the standard of Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers and Phoenix Nights.

• Like 2

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 4/16/2017 at 10:52 PM, Futtocks said:

Last Easter, Channel 5 got lots of complaints from whimpering grief athletes for showing 'Watership Down'.

So, this year, they showed... the same film again. Chapeau! B)

Were you lapin it up?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Tonight' car share was brilliant.

Peter Kay is a very funny guy and at his best is up there with the elite. Up until tonight I have found car share an enjoyable whimsical gentle comedy.

Tonight though,  I had some real "lol" moments. The scenes in the car of the ape/monkey was almost up to the standard of Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers and Phoenix Nights.

I watched the last two episodes in a row via iPlayer. The sense of attention to detail comes across, just as it did in the previous series. Not just in the little things you see in passing (the Samuel L Jackson driving school is beautifully random), but the performances and timing too. TV craftsmanship.

• Like 5

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, longboard said:

Were you lapin it up?

It's certainly better than Night of the Lepus.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just finished watching Goliath on Amazon Prime.  Billy Bob Thornton as a lawyer-with-issues taking on dark forces.

Not quite as brutal as it needs to be to be a proper contender it's pretty decent with some strong performances. And, as only 8 episodes, does not come close to outstaying its welcome.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I watched the last two episodes in a row via iPlayer. The sense of attention to detail comes across, just as it did in the previous series. Not just in the little things you see in passing (the Samuel L Jackson driving school is beautifully random), but the performances and timing too. TV craftsmanship.

C-SM_c0XgAUM2wx.jpg

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Attention to detail is something of a trademark for Peter Kay. If I look back at Phoenix Nights I still spot little things that I'd not really noticed before even though I've seen every episode many times over.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Currently watching Look who's back on Netflix. Based on a book, which I enjoyed, about Hitler waking up in 2014, having not aged a minute since the end of the war in Europe.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Currently watching Look who's back on Netflix. Based on a book, which I enjoyed, about Hitler waking up in 2014, having not aged a minute since the end of the war in Europe.

Fascinating. it takes liberties with the original book, but in some creative ways. The Hitler character (played brilliantly by Oliver Masucci) goes out and meets real members of the public. As a power-hungry demagogue, he wins many of them over with his simplistic, emotive, sloganeering solutions to complex problems.

Very timely when it was made in 2015, and even more so since.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I think Tony Blair may also have read that.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Car Share - No series 3 or Christmas special.  

On 4/30/2017 at 8:25 PM, Futtocks said:

Does he go round saying 'Ken Livingstone' a lot?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Car Share - No series 3 or Christmas special.  

Given the ending and there being only four episodes in the latest series, I don't quite believe Mr. Kay on this one.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

8 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

Given the ending and there being only four episodes in the latest series, I don't quite believe Mr. Kay on this one.

I was thinking the same, but could be a brave way to end it!

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I was thinking the same, but could be a brave way to end it!

Lots of whimpering on social media about this decision. God forbid they ever watch 'Brief Encounter'.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Detectorists is being repeated on BBC2.  It really is very very good.

4 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

One of the best comedies of recent years. Toby Jones is brilliant in it to the point I can almost forgive him his portrayal of Captain Manwairing. Almost.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

6 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Both series are on Netflix as well. Even better, the disappointing Christmas special isn't.

Ralph Waldo Emerson