The TV Thread

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Unless MacKenzie Crook changes his mind, next week will see the last ever episode of 'Detectorists'. :( 

What an episode it promises to be! 

Will Andy discover the magpie's nest and it's hoard of gold coins? Will he buy the derelict cottage? 

Will Toni, Lance's girlfriend leave her narrow boat and move in with him?

Will Mackenzie leave a few loose ends in the storyline to maybe leave us with, fingers crossed, hopes of future episodes?

Edited by Moose
Spelling

1 hour ago, Moose said:

What an episode it promises to be! 

Will Andy discover the magpie's nest and it's board of gold coins? Will he buy the derelict cottage? 

Will Toni, Lance's girlfriend leave her narrow boat and move in with him?

Will Mackenzie leave a few loose ends in the storyline to maybe leave us with, fingers crossed, hopes of future episodes?

They need more episodes are there has not been enough Russell, Hugh, Terry and Sheila this series.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:38 AM, Liverpool Rover said:

Just seen the trailer for the new League Of Gentlemen episodes on YouTube. It better not disappoint after waiting for so long.

cant wait, looks just as good as ever - hope herr flick does dig up Justin after all this time, poor lad

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Detectorists has finished, potentially for ever.

Anyone got some dirt on MacKenzie Crook, so we can blackmail him into doing more?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Billypop said:

Yes, and we even have running water, even in the Dales....

The reason I inquire  is that it seems from other posters that your cable, etc is alot different from here and I was just wondering about prices etc. to compare for comparable things...thats all I was wondering...you have different names eg. Sky etc.

Do you have basic cable? (How many channels for free...like here I get satellite with 10 channels for free/forever.

Do they package the 1000 channels, phones and internet in one and sell as a bundle?....why does everyone have to pay or buy packages to watch games all the time over there?  Like what do you mean buy Premier or buy Sky?  I don't get it...is everyone on a dish or something...and some websites get blocked for regions from live feed (What???)

I think you pay alot more for things over there than we do, but I'm not sure...thats all.

And where is the best running water for kayaking...bet over  there you need a permit or something to go through the inland water ways in the Dales?...is their regulations, what is the best summer trip,...important stuff like that! (p.s. Is there camping available?)

Edited by Kayakman

6 hours ago, Kayakman said:

The reason I inquire  is that it seems from other posters that your cable, etc is alot different from here and I was just wondering about prices etc. to compare for comparable things...thats all I was wondering...you have different names eg. Sky etc.

Do you have basic cable? (How many channels for free...like here I get satellite with 10 channels for free/forever.

Do they package the 1000 channels, phones and internet in one and sell as a bundle?....why does everyone have to pay or buy packages to watch games all the time over there?  Like what do you mean buy Premier or buy Sky?  I don't get it...is everyone on a dish or something...and some websites get blocked for regions from live feed (What???)

I think you pay alot more for things over there than we do, but I'm not sure...thats all.

And where is the best running water for kayaking...bet over  there you need a permit or something to go through the inland water ways in the Dales?...is their regulations, what is the best summer trip,...important stuff like that! (p.s. Is there camping available?)

We can get about 40 channels free to air but most are just rubbish.  Then you get the all-encompassing beast that is Sky with its paid-for channels with about half that no-one watches bar the actors' parents.  Other wannabes such as Virgin just take most of Sky's content and repackage it as their own, or nakedly reuse the content.  BT is starting to ramp up its offering, but mainly sports.  All the extra competition has done is force them to pay more money for football that we, the punters, then have to pay whether we watch football or not.

On getting around, Scotland has wild camping enshrined in law where as long as you're not disturbing wildlife or on domestic property then you can camp anywhere.  The sole exception is the Loch Lomond area because of people who just can't help but spoil a good thing with litter and idiot camping that causes damage to the scenery.  England and Wales are a lot less tolerant of wild camping and you're just as likely to be shoo-ed off by a busy-body as allowed peace to relax.  Sea kayaking on the Scottish coast along with wild camping is an outstanding way to relax.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Bancroft is hopeless. Almost a parody of the genre.

It has every police procedural cliche that has ever existed. The ' by the book' senior officer, the driven female detective , the female murder victim blah de blah.

The characters are ill thought out. For instance a character has made it to detective sergeant without seeing a dead body. She would have had to pass through the ranks of police constable, detective constable, through to sergeant and be a highlight experienced officer and seen dead bodies in all sorts of states.

There is some good acting talent involved, but the writing is lazy. 

43 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Motherland has been hilarious, it's just like being at my daughters school.

I watched the lot, including the pilot, in two sittings. I don't have kids, but still got the sense of desperation and the humour. Very good cast.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Detectorists and Star Wars both done today.  Managed to stay spoiler free for both!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 12/14/2017 at 1:50 AM, Kayakman said:

http://access.canoedaysout.com/map

As you can see, most rivers are 'owned' in England and there is no right of access.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

http://access.canoedaysout.com/map

As you can see, most rivers are 'owned' in England and there is no right of access.  

I know the monastaries owned certain 'rights' to them before the Reformation but who owns them now?...in Canada they are the property of the Crown (and lakes also), therefore any citizen of the Crown is allowed to use them due to common law (same with all Crown lands which is most of Canada)...I always make a point of camping on Crown land since its free...is it not the same over there?

When you say right of access do you mean putting in your boat?

Oh My God!...the map you shows looks awful, like a nightmare to dedicated paddler!  "The right to paddle", now thats a laugh, now thats a good one...I've never tolerated such nonsense unless there is a very specific reason (e.g dangerous water, habitat protection, etc (must be reasonable) you people are way to complacent over there....FREEDOM!

FREEDOM FOR ALL PADDLERS...DOWN WITH THE TYRANNY!

Live free and prosper...live free and paddle.

Edited by Kayakman

On 14 December 2017 at 11:14 AM, Tongs ya bas said:

Bancroft is hopeless. Almost a parody of the genre.

It has every police procedural cliche that has ever existed. The ' by the book' senior officer, the driven female detective , the female murder victim blah de blah.

The characters are ill thought out. For instance a character has made it to detective sergeant without seeing a dead body. She would have had to pass through the ranks of police constable, detective constable, through to sergeant and be a highlight experienced officer and seen dead bodies in all sorts of states.

There is some good acting talent involved, but the writing is lazy. 

Yeah, it's hopeless but my wife likes it. Bits of it were filmed just down the road from me in Rochdale.

On 13/12/2017 at 5:13 PM, graveyard johnny said:

cant wait, looks just as good as ever - hope herr flick does dig up Justin after all this time, poor lad

Same here, not looked forward to a TV programme so much in a long time. Looks as brilliantly grotesque as ever if the trailers are anything to go by.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Started watching 'The Good Place' on netflix.  Enjoying it so far.  

Only three episodes of 'The League of Gentlemen' in this new series?

Not enough!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Only three episodes of 'The League of Gentlemen' in this new series?

Not enough!

They are touring next year ...

I'm trying not to gush but that was just about as good a return as could possibly have been hoped for. Utterly faithful to the original series of so many years ago without being slaves to it. Even setting up the obvious one for Chinnery the vet worked because it was so damn knowing ... and then so damn brutal.

And in other news, I polished off Star Trek: Discovery in double quick time. First Trek I've watched since Deep Space Nine so I can't compare it to Voyager, Enterprise or the recent movies but I'll assume it thwacks their dull bottoms. And Sonequa Martin-Green is ludicrously hot.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They are touring next year ...

I'm trying not to gush but that was just about as good a return as could possibly have been hoped for. Utterly faithful to the original series of so many years ago without being slaves to it. Even setting up the obvious one for Chinnery the vet worked because it was so damn knowing ... and then so damn brutal.

And in other news, I polished off Star Trek: Discovery in double quick time. First Trek I've watched since Deep Space Nine so I can't compare it to Voyager, Enterprise or the recent movies but I'll assume it thwacks their dull bottoms. And Sonequa Martin-Green is ludicrously hot.

Did you say Hello to Jason Isaacs?

A couple of call-backs in last night's 'League of Gentlemen'. The town being merged with Spent, the location of the original (radio) series, and the episode ending with the two women trapped "Inside No.9".

Ralph Waldo Emerson

56 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There's a lot of folk who really don't get the concept of "entertainment".  You have the TOSser (The Original Series) trekkies who rail against any Klingon wearing anything other than dusky Arabic looking spray tan.  You have the Next Generation trekkies who rail against anything other than a Cornish pastie forehead Klingon.  You get anyone with the slightest bit of anal retention over Star Trek railing against the modern "reboot" movies.

You then get the lot who see anyone other than a straight white male cast in a major role as a "victory" (either sarcastically negative or hyperactively positive) for diversity rather than it simply being the best actor for the role.  Who gives a **** what someone's demographic grouping is if they're a good actor who does justice to the role?  Also, who cares if the writer casts a role as a gay man or writes a polyamorous Klingon/Tribble marriage, we actually do have gay people in society you know, and some "normal" marriages I've seen between men and women would best be described as "different".

You can probably tell I read the internet reviews of Star Trek: Discovery.  I think they were reviewing a different TV show to the one I watched as the one I watched was a well constructed TV series that's actually very well written and acted, with intelligent casting, enjoyable stories and a very good character arc, all written within a logical structure within the overall Star Trek "universe".

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"