The TV Thread

On 12/14/2017 at 10:14 AM, Tongs ya bas said:

Bancroft is hopeless. Almost a parody of the genre.

It has every police procedural cliche that has ever existed. The ' by the book' senior officer, the driven female detective , the female murder victim blah de blah.

The characters are ill thought out. For instance a character has made it to detective sergeant without seeing a dead body. She would have had to pass through the ranks of police constable, detective constable, through to sergeant and be a highlight experienced officer and seen dead bodies in all sorts of states.

There is some good acting talent involved, but the writing is lazy. 

Comfortably the worst thing I've seen this year despite, as you say, some decent people in it. Each epsiode got progressively worse.

48 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Me too. Just about to start season 1 episode 1. Looks promising.

Enjoy! In my opinion, the Christmas Special (after series 2) wasn't up to the high standards of the regular episodes. It was still okay, but not quite as good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Star Trek: I'm sorry if I will offend anybody, but I love the whole concept, Original, Next Gen, Voyager, Deep Space 9, Enterprise, I Love them all, it what got me interested in Sci_Fi, and science in general, when I had lunch with an astronaut at Cape Canaveral 2 years ago, I was more made up than my 6 year old daughter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A couple of call-backs in last night's 'League of Gentlemen'. The town being merged with Spent, the location of the original (radio) series, and the episode ending with the two women trapped "Inside No.9".

Made teenage sons watch the first couple of episodes beforehand and there was a seriously impressive number of callbacks. I hadn't noticed the Huddersfield dialling code on some of the businesses the first time through, either. I thought it was brilliantly done. I rarely watch tv though.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I think I know who the photo booth belongs to.

me too- now you have said that, might send "my wife" for some new passport pics!

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

24 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

me too- now you have said that, might send "my wife" for some new passport pics!

It could be Papa Laz... or maybe Hillary Briss looking to stock up on more 'special stuff'.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A couple of call-backs in last night's 'League of Gentlemen'. The town being merged with Spent, the location of the original (radio) series, and the episode ending with the two women trapped "Inside No.9".

I laughed out loud at Pamela Doove reading the shipping forecast. Didn't see that one coming at all.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

10 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I laughed out loud at Pamela Doove reading the shipping forecast. Didn't see that one coming at all.

I recently re-watched series 3, which was very cleverly constructed (think 'Rashomon'), but not as funny as 1 & 2. Last night's episode was as strong as their best work (i.e. not series 3 or the feature film).

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, ckn said:

There's a lot of folk who really don't get the concept of "entertainment".  You have the TOSser (The Original Series) trekkies who rail against any Klingon wearing anything other than dusky Arabic looking spray tan.  You have the Next Generation trekkies who rail against anything other than a Cornish pastie forehead Klingon.  You get anyone with the slightest bit of anal retention over Star Trek railing against the modern "reboot" movies.

You then get the lot who see anyone other than a straight white male cast in a major role as a "victory" (either sarcastically negative or hyperactively positive) for diversity rather than it simply being the best actor for the role.  Who gives a **** what someone's demographic grouping is if they're a good actor who does justice to the role?  Also, who cares if the writer casts a role as a gay man or writes a polyamorous Klingon/Tribble marriage, we actually do have gay people in society you know, and some "normal" marriages I've seen between men and women would best be described as "different".

You can probably tell I read the internet reviews of Star Trek: Discovery.  I think they were reviewing a different TV show to the one I watched as the one I watched was a well constructed TV series that's actually very well written and acted, with intelligent casting, enjoyable stories and a very good character arc, all written within a logical structure within the overall Star Trek "universe".

I don't know why but I always imagine that they wear black north face jackets, cycle to work, listen to Coldplay or travis, and work in it. Same with Star Wars freaks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I don't know why but I always imagine that they wear black north face jackets, cycle to work, listen to Coldplay or travis, and work in it. Same with Star Wars freaks

I think you will find that they rarely leave their mothers basement. 

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Star Trek: I'm sorry if I will offend anybody, but I love the whole concept, Original, Next Gen, Voyager, Deep Space 9, Enterprise, I Love them all, it what got me interested in Sci_Fi, and science in general, when I had lunch with an astronaut at Cape Canaveral 2 years ago, I was more made up than my 6 year old daughter.

I’m a big fan of Star Trek. I’m yet to be sold on Discovery yet. Just doesn’t seem to fit in with the rest

13 hours ago, ckn said:

There's a lot of folk who really don't get the concept of "entertainment".  You have the TOSser (The Original Series) trekkies who rail against any Klingon wearing anything other than dusky Arabic looking spray tan.  You have the Next Generation trekkies who rail against anything other than a Cornish pastie forehead Klingon.  You get anyone with the slightest bit of anal retention over Star Trek railing against the modern "reboot" movies.

You then get the lot who see anyone other than a straight white male cast in a major role as a "victory" (either sarcastically negative or hyperactively positive) for diversity rather than it simply being the best actor for the role.  Who gives a **** what someone's demographic grouping is if they're a good actor who does justice to the role?  Also, who cares if the writer casts a role as a gay man or writes a polyamorous Klingon/Tribble marriage, we actually do have gay people in society you know, and some "normal" marriages I've seen between men and women would best be described as "different".

You can probably tell I read the internet reviews of Star Trek: Discovery.  I think they were reviewing a different TV show to the one I watched as the one I watched was a well constructed TV series that's actually very well written and acted, with intelligent casting, enjoyable stories and a very good character arc, all written within a logical structure within the overall Star Trek "universe".

I really don’t agree with that last line.

Klingons have changed again even though Enterprise nicely closed off the human looking of TOS against the later ridged versions

Discovery has holo communications even though that was a new concept in the later episodes of DS9

I agree the story arc is good. But I’d prefer them to say it wasn’t the same timeline or something like that, instead of insisting it’s in the same “universe” when there’s these inconsistencies. 

I just like things to fit, not sure if it’s a minor irritation or something  that’ll put me off it, probably find out when it starts again, it’s more likely some sort of Trek related OCD ??

Edited by Spidey

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

I really don’t agree with that last line.

Klingons have changed again even though Enterprise nicely closed off the human looking of TOS against the later ridged versions

Discovery has holo communications even though that was a new concept in the later episodes of DS9

I agree the story arc is good. But I’d prefer them to say it wasn’t the same timeline or something like that, instead of insisting it’s in the same “universe” when there’s these inconsistencies. 

I just like things to fit, not sure if it’s a minor irritation or something  that’ll put me off it, probably find out when it starts again, it’s more likely some sort of Trek related OCD ??

You might enjoy this discussion - although it is based on the opening two episodes which, as predicted in the video, are somewhat different to the rest of the series:

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

There's a much visual stuff going on in the background as there is direct to camera......

I didn't catch as much in the background last night, which is a good excuse to watch again I think.

"all by itself ... number one ..."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Never seen a ST film and not seen a tv series episode of ST since the late 60s.....

Just not my cup of tea.

League of gentlemen however..... dark.... very dark. There's a much visual stuff going on in the background as there is direct to camera......

Me neither, never seen a James Bond film or a martial arts film, or a rocky film

2 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Me neither, never seen a James Bond film or a martial arts film, or a rocky film

Pretty much the same here....

I think I saw a bond film with Roger Moore in the 70s..... but that was it....

All that martial arts malarky and the genre described as 'action movie' are avoided at almost all costs

33 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

James Bond films are a very mixed bunch, from the extremely silly to the over-serious, but some are worth the time.

Martial arts films that don't take themselves too seriously can be fun - the best of Jackie Chan's pre-Hollywood output mixes astonishing action and slapstick pretty well.

The first 'Rocky' film isn't bad. Okay, the fight scenes are silly, but there's some good performances otherwise.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I didn't catch as much in the background last night, which is a good excuse to watch again I think.

The BBC2 continuity announcer's line about hedgehogs before the program started was a good one.

Some of the names of the shops and the adverts in the background are worth looking for.

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I recently re-watched series 3, which was very cleverly constructed (think 'Rashomon'), but not as funny as 1 & 2. Last night's episode was as strong as their best work (i.e. not series 3 or the feature film).

they could have easily made the usual 6 episodes , theres so much to play with character wise, tickets for the live shows sold out in 1 min this morn, why doesn't someone do something about secondary site touting!!!!!!

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Back to Star Trek, if I can, I liked the first 2 movies, as they were original and well written, as well as the first two "New" ones, the rest are krap.

PS, looking forward to Star Wars The Last Jedi at the weekend. Nearly as much as Blade Runner 2047.

Edited by Bleep1673