The TV Thread

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

James Bond films are a very mixed bunch, from the extremely silly to the over-serious, but some are worth the time.

Martial arts films that don't take themselves too seriously can be fun - the best of Jackie Chan's pre-Hollywood output mixes astonishing action and slapstick pretty well.

The first 'Rocky' film isn't bad. Okay, the fight scenes are silly, but there's some good performances otherwise.

Mate: no, just no.

6 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Mate: no, just no.

"Martial Arts" is a broad term anyway, it could include movies with fencing, like the Errol Flynn Robin Hood or, perhaps, The Princess Bride.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

"Martial Arts" is a broad term anyway, it could include movies with fencing, like the Errol Flynn Robin Hood or, perhaps, The Princess Bride.

No it doesn't : got that?

wallace and grommit is another example of the film makers art that I congratulate myself on managing to avoid

12 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

wallace and grommit is another example of the film makers art that I congratulate myself on managing to avoid

Thank God for that. I was beginning to feel slightly unnerved by your uncanny ability to mirror my likes and dislikes of TV programmes and music/musicians, it was as if you'd managed to access my TV planner and record collection

I love Wallace and Grommit.☺

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

If you've managed to avoid watching (or even spelling) the Wallace & Gromit films, how can you congratulate yourself for avoiding them? The only films I hate are ones I have actually seen and hated.

Hello to Michael Bay, by the way.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

41 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Some miserable b****** on here , I'm including you Robin in that , as for T Y B , it doesn't surprise me 

As for films , well as it is that time of year , best ever Xmas film ?

Easy , Die Hard 

I'm a fully paid up member of the miserable b'stards society.... I know and accept that.

Die hard my fat ginger wobbly botty

51 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Some miserable b****** on here , I'm including you Robin in that , as for T Y B , it doesn't surprise me 

As for films , well as it is that time of year , best ever Xmas film ?

Easy , Die Hard 

Its only officially Christmas once Hans Gruber has fell from the Nakatomi building

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm a fully paid up member of the miserable b'stards society rugby league fan.... I know and accept that.

Die hard my fat ginger wobbly botty

Fixed that for you.

• Haha 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I need more episodes of The League of Gentlemen. Three wasn't enough, but at least we now know who's taken over as the purveyor of "the special stuff".

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, jacksy said:

Not TV but movie related. Star Wars TLJ is awful.

There's a lot of dullness in the first forty minutes but once it hits its stride I think it's not bad at all. Nowhere near as good as Rogue One but then no other SW film is either.

Little Ginger and Tiny Ginger both loved it. And, to be honest, it's clearly more for them than me.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, jacksy said:

Not TV but movie related. Star Wars TLJ is awful.

I liked it.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

There's a lot of dullness in the first forty minutes but once it hits its stride I think it's not bad at all. Nowhere near as good as Rogue One but then no other SW film is either.

Little Ginger and Tiny Ginger both loved it. And, to be honest, it's clearly more for them than me.

I could hardly stay awake. I love Star Wars and all things sci fi/fantasy related.

However, this movie just didnt do anything for me. Maybe after Rogue One i was expecting something more.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

56 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I liked it.  

I tried BR to like it and i desperately wanted to. 

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

I think I might be finally ditching Sky.  I mostly watch BBC, C4 etc.  Don't have movies or sports.  The main reason I kept Sky was for Game Of Thrones, and thats not back till 2019.

iPlayer + Netflix + Youtube + Amazon Prime should see me right.

Edited by Bedford Roughyed

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The Empire Strikes Back is in my opinion the best of the franchise so far. Admittedly I have yet to see Revenge of the Sith but I'm confident it's as pants as parts 1 & 2 

Back on track

Last night I started watching The Indian Detective on Netflix. Sadly the large portion of Toulouse Sausages and potatoes with 2 glasses of Rioja meant I will need to start again but what I was awake for looked quite entertaining.

Edited by Shadow