The TV Thread

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

The Empire Strikes Back is in my opinion the best of the franchise so far. Admittedly I have yet to see Revenge of the Sith but I'm confident it's as pants as parts 1 & 2 

Rogue One is an outstanding film, big plot flaws aside, and comfortably sits behind Empire Strikes Back.  Revenge of the Sith is good and is the best of the prequel trilogy by a long way.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Rogue One is an outstanding film, big plot flaws aside, and comfortably sits behind Empire Strikes Back.  Revenge of the Sith is good and is the best of the prequel trilogy by a long way.

Agreed Rogue and Empire are top of my list. Cannot watch the prequels and the newest additions are only a bit better.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Anyone got around to watching Mindhunters yet? It is a marvellous series and i highly recommend it. I will also add that Vikings is well worth a watch too.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Meanwhile BBC4 offered a double helping of the Two Ronnies. Nuff said.  But followed it with the history of Fairytale in New York.  With Kirsty.  very interesting. Shane McGowan was his usual obnoxious self, but Kirsty was wonderful as usual.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I need more episodes of The League of Gentlemen. Three wasn't enough, but at least we now know who's taken over as the purveyor of "the special stuff".

It was great to see the League of Gentlemen have still got it.

You never know with comebacks, but those three new episodes were absolutely spot on IMO.

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It was great to see the League of Gentlemen have still got it.

You never know with comebacks, but those three new episodes were absolutely spot on IMO.

Needed 6 episodes not 3.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Needed 6 episodes not 3.  

They've definitely left us wanting more though, rather than lamenting that they've run out of ideas.

It was a rare and beautiful thing to go on Twitter after each LoG episode this week and see it full of praise and appreciation for something good, rather than the usual cacophony of moaning. Tubbs would have loved it! ;)

4 hours ago, Shadow said:

Back on track

Last night I started watching The Indian Detective on Netflix. Sadly the large portion of Toulouse Sausages and potatoes with 2 glasses of Rioja meant I will need to start again but what I was awake for looked quite entertaining.

We've just watched two episodes and it's quite entertaining, Death in Paradise style detective stuff with more humour.  It does help that the lead Indian actress is very easy on the eye...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 12/18/2017 at 12:05 PM, Bedford Roughyed said:

Started watching 'The Good Place' on netflix.  Enjoying it so far.  

First series done.  Highly recommended. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Peaky Blinders is an absolutely brilliant TV show!  Only problem is the next series wont be until 2019.

_20171220_233506.JPG

That photo was shot a mile or so from my house. People (female people to be precise) got very excited when they were here filming. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Just watched The Foreigner on Netflix, the new Jackie Chan film.  Very different film from his usual and more a political thriller than action movie.  I enjoyed it but I can see why some wouldn't. 8/10.

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

They've definitely left us wanting more though, rather than lamenting that they've run out of ideas.

It was a rare and beautiful thing to go on Twitter after each LoG episode this week and see it full of praise and appreciation for something good, rather than the usual cacophony of moaning. Tubbs would have loved it! ;)

The LoG boys have not been idle, though. A new series of Inside Number Nine begins in January.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Am I the only person on here who thinks League of Gentlemen is an overrated pile of pap?

I tried to watch it a while ago after putting up with colleagues announcing "You're my wife now Dave* and found it irritating.
I felt it was trying too hard to be Cultish and surreal. I didn't like South Park for similar reasons.

Maybe it's a WIltshire thing :biggrin:

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Am I the only person on here who thinks League of Gentlemen is an overrated pile of pap?

It wouldn't do if we all liked the same stuff.

Even if it's special stuff. ;)

hilarybliss.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

true, we all like different, but for mine its the best thing the bbc has made in the past 2 decades along with psychoville  and inside no9- the writers and performers are pure genius - McIntyre, Miranda, mrs brown, bishop, millican and citizen kahn, now stick them on top of each other and you would have your pile of pap then.

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

All I want for Christmas is... an hour of peace and quiet at 5.30pm on Christmas Day to watch this:

I plan each year to do this. But a mixture of fine food and beer makes me sleepy at this time

First thing on Boxing Day on catchup for me

that's what we are saying about different tastes, dr who is not for me at all even though mark gattis is apparently in it? same thing every single time cbbc  drama

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

December 30th bbc4 9pm

new series of Spiral  

About blooming time too.

My effort at a brief spoiler-free film review of Bright:

I've just watched Bright on Netflix, deciding to give a chance to a widely panned movie.  In a nutshell, if you're the type of person who enjoys fantasy novels, especially Dresden Files types, or even Marvel comic TV adaptations then you should enjoy this; if you're a movie critic who can't help but follow the crowd into laughing at something new then you'll hate it.

I fell into the former and treated it with the same sort of fantasy disassociation I do when watching such things as Star Trek or Starship Troopers.  This allowed me to treat it as a fantasy film and overall I enjoyed it but... it had big flaws.

Most of the flaws came from abysmal direction with the sort of directing values you'd expect in a Channel 5 budget TV show rather than a US$90m film.  Given a decent director able to change the film's focus slightly, this would have been a much better film.  The director of this is the same director as Suicide Squad and should be barred from directing anything other than his own home movies.  Utterly pointless bits of unnecessary nudity, non-story related violence and confusing confrontations degrade the movie as well, this is a combination of poor editing, directing and producers not just saying "look, that's daft".

It also seemed like a large book shortened into a movie format, lots of seriously big backstory and content just wasn't there or short-cutted to the point that it'd have been better edited out than left to confuse.  There were really some massive holes in the backstory elements that probably led to key plot messages being missed.  That said, the plot was novel and interesting with very good concepts and promise that made me want to know more of that wider universe concept.

The two lead actors, Will Smith and the other guy, do a very good job of moving the plot along and making the film enjoyable.

I finished the film and then went and read the reviews, some "critics" gave it 0% or 0/5, or similar, but their reviews make me wonder whether they just did a "I hated it too!" review without actually watching it.  It just seemed like the sort of reviews that give "book of the year" awards that no-one reads without a stick up their bum.

My recommendation: if you can watch films like Starship Troopers or Doctor Strange and enjoy them then you'll enjoy this.  If you're the sort of person who tuts at Doctor Who because it's not that realistic then you'd be doing yourself a favour by not watching it.

My rating: 3/5

• Like 1