The TV Thread

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

All I want for Christmas is... an hour of peace and quiet at 5.30pm on Christmas Day to watch this

Slightly off-topic but the Audible audiobook 99p deal of the day for today (Saturday 23rd) is a Doctor Who audiobook, Twelve Doctors of Christmas

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Well, the Guardian managed to give away the twist to Season 1 of The Good Place in a single line recommendation to watch it (morons) but, despite that, that really was good fun.

After a suitable pause of a few hours I shall move on to Season 2.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I read "the miniaturist" last year which was excellent and the tv adaptation begins on Boxing Day. Obviously I haven't seen it yet but if they do the book justice then I can't recommend it enough.also just watched the first 2 series of good behaviour,the story of a professional hit man who falls in love with a drug fuelled thief,the story follows the thiefs battle to win back custody of her son along with her hit man boyfriends help. An odd combination I know but it's great and quite funny at times. Michelle dockery from downton abbey plays the thief quite brilliantly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

I read "the miniaturist" last year which was excellent and the tv adaptation begins on Boxing Day. Obviously I haven't seen it yet but if they do the book justice then I can't recommend it enough.also just watched the first 2 series of good behaviour,the story of a professional hit man who falls in love with a drug fuelled thief,the story follows the thiefs battle to win back custody of her son along with her hit man boyfriends help. An odd combination I know but it's great and quite funny at times. Michelle dockery from downton abbey plays the thief quite brilliantly.

did the courts know her boyfriend was a professional hitman? did he have to fill in a form about his job/earnings and prospects etc? as is the norm in this case

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

did the courts know her boyfriend was a professional hitman? did he have to fill in a form about his job/earnings and prospects etc? as is the norm in this case

Damn it johnny,you've ruined the cliffhanger for EVERYBODY now,bloody killjoy!

On 22/12/2017 at 6:51 PM, John Drake said:

All I want for Christmas is... an hour of peace and quiet at 5.30pm on Christmas Day to watch this:

Went to a preview screening (in Manchester, sadly, not the packed out one in the Odeon in Bradford) and won't spoil it, except to say I loved it! Hope you get your peace and quiet to enjoy it! 

• Like 1

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

7 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

Went to a preview screening (in Manchester, sadly, not the packed out one in the Odeon in Bradford) and won't spoil it, except to say I loved it! Hope you get your peace and quiet to enjoy it! 

I applied for a ticket to the Bradford Odeon screening, partly to see the show, but partly to see what the Odeon looks like inside these days. I had no idea it was in a fit state to screen anything! When did that happen?

I didn't get allocated a ticket (who knew there were so many Doctor Who fans living in Bradford) so I'll just have to wait till Christmas Day now, but I am encouraged by your feedback. :)

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

hate to spoil things again but William hartnell has been dead since the mid 70s to my knowledge

That's a minor problem for Doctor Who ;)

From what I've seen, David Bradley's homage to Hartnell in this episode is on the money, and he was also fantastic when he played Hartnell himself, rather than the character of the Doctor in An Adventure In Space and Time in 2013.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

That's a minor problem for Doctor Who ;)

From what I've seen, David Bradley's homage to Hartnell in this episode is on the money, and he was also fantastic when he played Hartnell himself, rather than the character of the Doctor in An Adventure In Space and Time in 2013.

Excellent casting.

Not just because of the resemblance. Bradley is a fine character actor.

Still haven't watched it since the first series though.

Well, Doctor Who was wonderful. I managed to get to watch it (almost) live and (almost) without anyone talking over it, and then I watched it back again later on iPlayer in complete peace and quiet after everyone else had gone home, and it was even better.

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly, and never ever ever eat pears.
"Remember, hate is always foolish and love is always wise. 
"Always try to be nice but never fail to be kind."

The Doctor is my kind of hero, even though I quite like pears. :)

And then he regenerates into a Yorkshire woman.

"Oh, brilliant!"

• Like 1

The latest Inside No.9 is a pip and a dandy. A whole episode in rhyming couplets? Audacious, but the format didn't detract from the humour and plot twists.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Derwent said:

The Blacklist is back, as good as ever.

I went off it for a bit.  Binge watched it too much.  The woman who plays Elizabeth has to be the worst actor on telly, (spoiler alert)

I was delighted when I thought they'd killed her off and then annoyed when it was all a con.

Some of the episodes around that were just abysmal with things going on that were completely against Red's previous moralities and actions.

I'll get back into it one day though

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The latest Inside No.9 is a pip and a dandy. A whole episode in rhyming couplets? Audacious, but the format didn't detract from the humour and plot twists.

not watched it yet but heard its not up to the boys usual standard, maybe spoiled by the new league stuff?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

27 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

not watched it yet but heard its not up to the boys usual standard, maybe spoiled by the new league stuff?

I think it's just different.  I enjoyed it, the writing is just great.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think it's just different.  I enjoyed it, the writing is just great.  

The thing about Inside No.9 is the variety of styles they go through in any given series.

Some people are always desperate to be the first to say a show or an entertainer has jumped the shark. The same with music acts; as soon as they start releasing material that people actually like, some dopey NME type will say they've "sold out" and "gone commercial".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 04/01/2018 at 12:11 PM, ckn said:

I went off it for a bit.  Binge watched it too much.  The woman who plays Elizabeth has to be the worst actor on telly, (spoiler alert)

Reveal hidden contents

I was delighted when I thought they'd killed her off and then annoyed when it was all a con.

Some of the episodes around that were just abysmal with things going on that were completely against Red's previous moralities and actions.

I'll get back into it one day though

It was obvious that

Liz wasn't dead. Without the relationship between Liz and Red there is no blacklist

Just now, Liverpool Rover said:

It was obvious that

Hide contents

Liz wasn't dead. Without the relationship between Liz and Red there is no blacklist

I had hoped that that would send him into a darker phase for a series or so before

moving on as if she had never existed like other shows do when a "star" leaves.  I did think his bumping off the old woman a bit OTT though and out of character.

Someone on here recommended The Indian Detective?

I'm 2.5 episodes in and if it wasn't the very attractiveness of the female co-star it would have been binned already. It's getting close.

Any reason to stick with it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just started watching The Good Place. It's *forking funny! 

*A reference to the show

Did you ever pay money to hear music performed by California funk-rock band the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!