The TV Thread

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Someone on here recommended The Indian Detective?

I'm 2.5 episodes in and if it wasn't the very attractiveness of the female co-star it would have been binned already. It's getting close.

Any reason to stick with it?

There's only 1.5 to go?

It's OK in a "Death in Paradise" kind of way.

Don't make the mistake of watching Russell Peters Almost Famous. Maybe stand up humour doesn't travel well but I found the first 10 minutes to be  racist, misogynist and generally not funny. To a degree I'd forgive the first 2 if the final one made up for them. But it didn't.

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

There's only 1.5 to go?

It's OK in a "Death in Paradise" kind of way.

Don't make the mistake of watching Russell Peters Almost Famous. Maybe stand up humour doesn't travel well but I found the first 10 minutes to be  racist, misogynist and generally not funny. To a degree I'd forgive the first 2 if the final one made up for them. But it didn't.

Only 4 episodes. I'd assumed more. I shall manfully stick with it to the end then.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

34 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I'm glad Death in Paradise is back, and Danny John-Jules and Don Warrington are still signed up. Ardal O'Hanlon gives a decent performance too

I still haven't got over Sara Martins departure, sigh ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Did you ever pay money to hear music performed by California funk-rock band the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

I saw them at the Reading Festival about 20 years ago. I paid for my ticket so technically yes. However I would have gone to the Festival whoever was playing so I'll say no! Do you think I'll get into the Good Place? 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I saw them at the Reading Festival about 20 years ago. I paid for my ticket so technically yes. However I would have gone to the Festival whoever was playing so I'll say no! Do you think I'll get into the Good Place? 

I’ve seen them a few times so I’m forked.  

• Haha 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Derry Girls on Channel 4 got off to a good start (in my opinion).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Really?
Today's BBC Escape to the Country was people escaping from Hull to Lincolnshire, just cross the Humber Bridge, and commute. Thick as pig pooh are East Yorkshire.

And first property was Grimsby.

You people really are intermarried

On 06/01/2018 at 11:08 AM, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not strictly a TV show but it was on telly last night. "Eight Days A Week" . Just showing how good the early Beatles were.

It really was a superb bit of TV. Pleased I saw your comment on the other thread or I would have forgotten about it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Inside No.9 was, once again, great!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Inside No.9 was, once again, great!

Lots of great writing in there.  Bernie Winters, Grumbleweeds, yew tree.... Was very good.  

5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Lots of great writing in there.  Bernie Winters, Grumbleweeds, yew tree.... Was very good.  

The breadth and variety of their talent, too. Comparing episode 2 with episode 1 is like seeing two entirely different shows.

Every single episode, from series 1 to last night's, is currently available on iPlayer. Make the most of it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Moose said:

It's hard to believe that it's the same Steve Pemberton who appears in the complete dross of 'Benidorm'

It can only be for the money.

Maybe it is a fun, undemanding (and quite well-paid) way to switch off from the day-job of creating material of the quality of The League of Gentlemen and Inside No.9. It does seem odd, but last night's episode of Inside No.9 does hint at an affection for, and knowledge of broad, dated variety-act comedy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

The breadth and variety of their talent, too. Comparing episode 2 with episode 1 is like seeing two entirely different shows.

Every single episode, from series 1 to last night's, is currently available on iPlayer. Make the most of it.

I have been. It was almost worth being laid up in bed for days with flu over the Christmas period for; one of the things that kept me going. Stand outs, this time round, "A Quiet Night In" and "Cold Comfort", but there's not really a bad one.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

When some tedious moaner insists that "there's nothing good on telly these days, it's all rubbish", direct them to Detectorists, The League of Gentlemen, Inside No.9 and Blue Planet 2. All came out in the last three months - all top-notch television.

If he still refuses to recognise the quality of the above, lock him in a room where Len Goodman's Partners in Rhyme endlessly alternates with Mrs Brown's Boys. Not only will that person have deserved it, it will reassuringly back up his opinion. And it'll probably kill them, which neatly removes a pain from your neck.

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Maybe it is a fun, undemanding (and quite well-paid) way to switch off from the day-job of creating material of the quality of The League of Gentlemen and Inside No.9. It does seem odd, but last night's episode of Inside No.9 does hint at an affection for, and knowledge of broad, dated variety-act comedy.

and psyochville don't forget

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

and psyochville don't forget

Ther was a call-back to Psychoville in last night's episode. I didn't spot it, but someone pointed it out to me. And, of course, there were call-backs in the recent League of Gentlemen series to the team's earlier days too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Ther was a call-back to Psychoville in last night's episode. I didn't spot it, but someone pointed it out to me. And, of course, there were call-backs in the recent League of Gentlemen series to the team's earlier days too.

tubbs and Edwards flat was number 9

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

tubbs and Edwards flat was number 9

And they talked about Royston Vasey being merged with Spent. Spent was the original name of the town, when the LoG was a Radio 4 series. Then they renamed it after Roy "Chubby Brown" Vasey, who had a cameo in series 2, as the mayor.

In last night's episode, Reece's character referred to playing Tina Turner with ping-pong balls for eyes.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

We watched three episodes tonight about immigrants murdering people, often within days of arriving. It covered the obviously lax immigration system that allowed those  murdering #### free access to the country and the underfunded police who had to deal with them. The latest episodes have someone known best as a priest as the lead policeman. 

Death in Paradise is fairly harmless entertainment these days but isn’t exactly compelling viewing.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"