The TV Thread

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Also an episode that really needs* a re-watch, once you have the shape of it, just to understand the chronology.

*as opposed to the ones that require seeing again for pleasure alone.

I almost felt like rewinding it and watching it backwards as soon as it finished.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I have to join in the chorus of approval for Inside No. 9. 

Just caught up with the latest two episodes, both different, both excellent.

Incredible creativity and talent on display from Shearsmith & Pemberton.

Agreed, probably the best series so far and that really is saying something. Someone online has re-edited it the "right" way round and it still makes perfect sense which is some going.

"Me mum's just ordered me a biryani" 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

bought peaky blinders on box set but early in series 2 have got bored of it, samey samey moodily smoking fags while walking in slow motion, scrapping whiskey glasses across tables , in audible  mumbling accents and the usual bbc historical inaccuracies have me switching off as usual

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Derry Girls... best comedy on normal TV?

(apart from Inside No9)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Any good food programmes recently?

Hairy Bikers, Stein, River Cottage - that sort of jazz.

I no longer subscribe to a TV service so download all material; happy with this arrangement, but with living away as well, i have absolutely no idea what's on.

Ta

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

10 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Derry Girls... best comedy on normal TV?

(apart from Inside No9)

Without a doubt, last week's episode with the dead/not dead dog (toto) and the weeping statue of Mary will go down as a classic.

Very reminiscent of The Inbetweeners.

18 hours ago, ivans82 said:

McMafia`s got its hooks into me at the moment .

I really wanted to like this, concept looked decent and I think James Norton is a fantastic talent, but it's just a bit...dull. I just can't bring myself to care about any of the characters. First proper let down of the year for me on TV

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

2 hours ago, jacksy said:

Anybody still watching Discovery?  i am loving it.

It's gone a bit weird since the break.  Still quite good but my support is wavering a bit.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The wife suggested we watch a Hindi film tonight, Lagaan, about a cricket game in the late 1800s.  3hrs 43 minutes.  That's more than a one-day match's innings...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

20 hours ago, ckn said:

It's gone a bit weird since the break.  Still quite good but my support is wavering a bit.

I’m really enjoying it. It is absolutely bonkers.

It’s not really Star Trek though is it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The latest episode that I watched last night had cheesy plot twists worthy of Eastenders.  All you needed was someone calling someone else a rude, but pre-watershed, thing and storming off.

The Mash Report. There’s something very compelling about watching Ellie Taylor. Not sure what it is though.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2018 at 1:15 PM, gingerjon said:

I’ve just thought of something based on the last episode: 

is this REALLY another programme where the English guy is the bad guy?  Come on... that’s a tired stereotype these days.

12 hours ago, ckn said:

I’ve just thought of something based on the last episode: 

Hide contents

is this REALLY another programme where the English guy is the bad guy?  Come on... that’s a tired stereotype these days.

ha ha true..

Edited by jacksy

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

5 minutes ago, jacksy said:

ha ha true..

I think we're several turns away from knowing who really is the baddest bad guy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think we're several turns away from knowing who really is the baddest bad guy.

It needs some more humour in it if it's going to continue the way it is.  Cheesy original series type humour.  As it stands, it's just one of those "and here's this week's big shocker" shows rather than the comfortable self-contained story in an episode with an ongoing big backstory.  If they'd followed the Netflix method of sticking the entire season on in one go then it'd be workable as you could binge through the cliff-hangers.  Episode-a-week with cliffhangers to get people tuning in the next week at a set time is so 2000s and before.

15 minutes ago, ckn said:

It needs some more humour in it if it's going to continue the way it is.  Cheesy original series type humour.  As it stands, it's just one of those "and here's this week's big shocker" shows rather than the comfortable self-contained story in an episode with an ongoing big backstory.  If they'd followed the Netflix method of sticking the entire season on in one go then it'd be workable as you could binge through the cliff-hangers.  Episode-a-week with cliffhangers to get people tuning in the next week at a set time is so 2000s and before.

It's on CBS in the States isn't it? Hence why the episodes are weekly?

Like I say, I am enjoying it but I can really see why others aren't, not least those who (rightly) wanted another Star Trek series.

13 hours ago, ckn said:

The Mash Report. There’s something very compelling about watching Ellie Taylor. Not sure what it is though.

That Nish Kumar is about as funny as typhoid and his voice just absolutely grates on me for some reason.

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

52 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's on CBS in the States isn't it? Hence why the episodes are weekly?

It's on CBS's streaming service so in theory there is no reason it couldn't all come online at once. However as they seem to have launched the service with only two new series of note, this and a spin off of The Good Wife, I think they are doing it as weekly so people don't watch it all at once then cancel

SQL Honours

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Really? 

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.