The TV Thread

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Derwent said:

New series of Two Doors Down starts tonight, a little comedy gem.

It may be, but the BBC does not cover itself with glory with the advertising of it. All they show is a bunch of Pi**heads singing 1000 Miles, which after a while becomes annoying.

Well, if anyone was wondering where Marwan Koukash would turn up next, he's got a C4 TV series starting next week, in a programme called My Millionaire Migrant Boss.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Vambo said:

Watched "The Invisible Guardian" on Netflix.

Great film about a woman detective who goes back to her home town to track down a serial killer and as to face her own personal demons from her past.

Beautifully shot film. Subtitled.

Also would recommend 'The Frozen Dead' on Netflix. A short series (5 episodes) that starts with the decapitation of a horse and leads a detective back to confront his past as the realisation that an imprisoned serial killer (that he put behind bars) is somehow involved in a new set of murders. Set in magnificent scenery. Subtitled.

Thanks for those. Will investigate.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Well, if anyone was wondering where Marwan Koukash would turn up next, he's got a C4 TV series starting next week, in a programme called My Millionaire Migrant Boss.

I know someone who used to work for him. I doubt her opinions of him would be broadcastable!

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, Bleep1673 said:

Oh dear God. One of the worst remakes is on tonight on ITV4.

The 2005 version of Assault on Precinct 13

Far worse than the Escape From New York remake 

Just ordered Assault, as well as The Fog (Original Version), from Amazon, may order Kevin Bacon in Tremors. Good Spooky comedy film.

Edited by Bleep1673

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Just ordered Assault, as well as The Fog (Original Version), from Amazon, may order Kevin Bacon in Tremors. Good Spooky comedy film.

DEFINITELY get 'Tremors'. It is an utter delight.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I love Tremors, one of the daftest, funny, clever, sci-find films..

Edited because daftest came out as dad test

I call it "intelligent stupidity" because, Finn Carter's seismologist character aside, the valley's inhabitants are gloriously bone-headed. But the movie lets some of their daftnesses turn into solutions. The pacing is great, the ratio of laughs to creeps is well-judged, and Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward play off each other beautifully.

Such a shame that they made the sequels.

Pointless trivia: the little girl on the pogo stick also played the young girl in 'Jurassic Park'.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

29 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Anyone for Altered Carbon?

Binge watched 5 episodes today to distract myself. Cracking stuff. Just out there enough for me. 

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'll be taking a keen interest in Hull's Headscarf Heroes on BBC4 at 9pm. Fifty years on since the events of the time I still have vivid memories of the effect on the community in which I grew up and went to school.

The BBC's Trevor Gibbons has also contributed a good piece on the subject including some interesting archive footage and photos. The photo of the Hull FC players at the Boulevard is the minute's silence for the men of the St Romanus and Kingston Peridot and was taken before a Challenge Cup tie against Wigan. Two days later news reached Hull that the Ross Cleveland had also been lost. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

54 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I'll be taking a keen interest in Hull's Headscarf Heroes on BBC4 at 9pm. Fifty years on since the events of the time I still have vivid memories of the effect on the community in which I grew up and went to school.

The BBC's Trevor Gibbons has also contributed a good piece on the subject including some interesting archive footage and photos. The photo of the Hull FC players at the Boulevard is the minute's silence for the men of the St Romanus and Kingston Peridot and was taken before a Challenge Cup tie against Wigan. Two days later news reached Hull that the Ross Cleveland had also been lost. 

My Hull born mother-in-law told me about this programme earlier today. She wants to watch it because she remembers it well. However, her trawlerman dad died at sea in '63 so it'll be a tough watch. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

My Hull born mother-in-law told me about this programme earlier today. She wants to watch it because she remembers it well. However, her trawlerman dad died at sea in '63 so it'll be a tough watch. 

I can relate to that. My mother, who's sadly no longer with us, was only a young girl when her dad was lost at sea.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

19 hours ago, jacksy said:

Anyone for Altered Carbon?

Oh gawd, not another fad diet! :tongue: 

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another week, another bonkers twist on Star Trek, although this one had me thinking "really...?" rather than "Ah, ok then"

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Just now, Amber Avenger said:

Another week, another bonkers twist on Star Trek, although this one had you thinking "really...?" rather than "Ah, ok then"

If every episode had been paced like that and allowed the characters to speak a bit then I think we'd be talking about a pretty decent series regardless of the now mountainous suspension of disbelief required.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Back in Time for Tea on BBC2 switches from the Robshaws (Back in Time for Dinner) living through the changes in middle-class life, to the Ellis family, experiencing working-class life in Bradford. And, you'll note, it is now "tea" instead of "dinner".

Unsurprisingly, Giles Coren is not on board for this development.

The best bit so far was when they went into the back yard and saw a mangle. One parent says "Do you know what that is?"

One of their kids replies "A pasta maker?" :biggrin: 

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Back in Time for Tea on BBC2 switches from the Robshaws (Back in Time for Dinner) living through the changes in middle-class life, to the Ellis family, experiencing working-class life in Bradford. And, you'll note, it is now "tea" instead of "dinner".

Unsurprisingly, Giles Coren is not on board for this development.

The best bit so far was when they went into the back yard and saw a mangle. One parent says "Do you know what that is?"

One of their kids replies "A pasta maker?" :biggrin: 

Ooh, a bit of Rugby League! B) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 05/02/2018 at 7:39 PM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I found it very difficult to watch at times but it was an outstanding piece of television. The two strands of the story, the terrible loss of men at sea and the rising tide of anger among the women at home that became an unstoppable force for change, were interwoven very well. Pleased that it was narrated by a Hull lass too.

It'll be on our Sky box for some time.

19 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I found it very difficult to watch at times but it was an outstanding piece of television. The two strands of the story, the terrible loss of men at sea and the rising tide of anger among the women at home that became an unstoppable force for change, were interwoven very well. Pleased that it was narrated by a Hull lass too.

It'll be on our Sky box for some time.

My wife never knew her Grandad but found it very difficult to watch. However she saw her Nana at the meeting so that cheered her up. 

It was a very good documentary 

Police-hold-back-Mrs-Lillian-Bilocca-on-the-quayside-1733018.jpg

_88596745_mural.jpg

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner