The TV Thread

theres no pleasing our 7 year old granddaughter when it comes to tv when she visits cos we only have freeview- although last week she was totally absorbed in watching one of the on the buses movies (when the lion gets on the back of the bus in the safari park with stan and blakey) later asking "are there any more programmes with that man on them again" oh gaawd - that made my day, that did.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Anyone watching Ghost Wars on Netflix?

Really enjoying this. Set in a small town in Alaska where an 'event' as cut the town off from the outside world. Bad enough at that but unfortunately the said 'event' as changed how the ghosts of the recently departed act towards the living.

Good stuff.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

10 hours ago, Vambo said:

Anyone watching Ghost Wars on Netflix?

Really enjoying this. Set in a small town in Alaska where an 'event' as cut the town off from the outside world. Bad enough at that but unfortunately the said 'event' as changed how the ghosts of the recently departed act towards the living.

Good stuff.

is anna Karen in it?

The team behind Westworld have put out a video showing all the plot points and stories in Season 2.  This is to avoid unofficial spoilers and fan theories.  Full Season 2 here -

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

cunk on Britain is worth a watch, although the joke is thin and wears out in no time its still better than most bbc so called humour, not amazing tv but watchable and enjoyable

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

cunk on Britain is worth a watch, although the joke is thin and wears out in no time its still better than most bbc so called humour, not amazing tv but watchable and enjoyable

Napolean Cumberbatch was very funny. 

• 2 weeks later...

The wife and I started watching The Good Place last night, about half way through season one.  My wife couldn't work out how I knew all the philosophers they were mentioning in the first few episodes.  I cited my excellent education.  I didn't mention it was education courtesy of Monty Python:

(mild sweary words so maybe not SFW)

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

22 minutes ago, ckn said:

The wife and I started watching The Good Place last night, about half way through season one.  My wife couldn't work out how I knew all the philosophers they were mentioning in the first few episodes.  I cited my excellent education.  I didn't mention it was education courtesy of Monty Python:

(mild sweary words so maybe not SFW)

When Mrs Shadow and I went to Edinburgh for the weekend last year we visited to the Old Caton Burial Ground and saw David Hume's tomb.

I had to admit I knew little about his work other than his ability to out consume both Schopenhauer and Hegel.

She gave me that "You think you're being funny now but you're not" look

I gave her my "Oh yes I am" look

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Good Place.  I am a definite fan of that nice young lady Jameela Jamil's acting skills.  My wife, also a very pretty and thoroughly spoiled lady of Indian descent but 5'3" rather than Ms Jamil's 5'10½", is a bit less enamoured.

• Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 24/04/2018 at 5:08 PM, Shadow said:

She gave me that "You think you're being funny now but you're not" look

I gave her my "Oh yes I am" look

All husbands are hilarious and all wives have no sense of humour 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I just read a feature in the latest issue of Empire magazine about the 1982 BBC TV drama 'Threads' being released on DVD.

It's brilliant but I won't be buying it, I've never forgotten seeing it the first time. It's the most terrifying thing I've ever watched on telly.

(For anyone who hasn't seen or heard of it before, it's about a nuclear war breaking out and the impact/after effects of a bomb exploding over Sheffield. Watch it if you dare).

• Like 4

I’m following two programmes currently:

The Terror: Two British expeditionary ships setting out to discover the north west passage (Erebus and Terror) in the 1840s.  It’s a costume drama with fairly high production values, but it’s not really gripped me so far after a couple of episodes.

Westworld: Series 2: The first series was great television and I’m looking forward to see how the characters develop going forwards.  Got a slight concern that it might struggle to hit the same heights, as the first series asked a lot of interesting questions about humanity.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Just spotted a trailer for 'Car Share: Unscripted', showing next Monday on the BBC. Could be fun.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 30/04/2018 at 5:46 PM, Futtocks said:

Just spotted a trailer for 'Car Share: Unscripted', showing next Monday on the BBC. Could be fun.

And then the final episode of Car Share following the cliffhanger of series 2 is on a few weeks later, on the late may bank holiday

• Like 1

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I know he has fans on here, so check the archive section of the BBC iPlayer for 'Floyd on France'. One of his earlier, better series - Keith, blithely irreverent and quite well-lubricated, cooks up many variations on large pots of Brown Food.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 02/04/2018 at 4:18 PM, graveyard johnny said:

if I see that advert with james corden driving a car in America one more time I will go insane

Don’t get me started on adverts . An hour of programming now is just about 50/50 nowadays and you can go through twenty channels all with breaks on ... and the same ones over n over to literally screaming degree .. oh I’ve took out over 50s life insurance and got a free pen . Aargh 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

If i see anymore of James Corden i will go insane !.........I don`t know whats worse him or Clarkson back on tv with the Millionaire .

Yep he’s a mystery , but tv get people on and then just saturate you with them ... and most of the time you’re wondering why youre just not getting it ! Andrew Flintoff is quickly getting there to join the club 

On 5/3/2018 at 10:50 AM, ckn said:

Now, THIS brought back some childhood memories.  The original Monkey was cheesy but quite entertaining for a very young lad with its humour and characters.

We watched 5 episodes of this last night, it was a challenge to just say "This isn't what I watched in the 70s/80s!" and dump it.  It's got the right level of cheesiness, it's built for a 2018 level of diversity and inclusiveness, it's got a good baseline of humour and it fits right into the sort of Farscape feel.

Also, the new Sandy is substantially easier on the eye...

Overall, not great but certainly watchable as a lighthearted and harmless way to spend a little bit of time.