The TV Thread

Watched the start of the new (third!) series of Upstart Crow last night. Very good. The similarities with Blackadder are obvious but considering Blackadder is one of the best comedies ever made, that's no bad thing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Watched the start of the new (third!) series of Upstart Crow last night. Very good. The similarities with Blackadder are obvious but considering Blackadder is one of the best comedies ever made, that's no bad thing.

Missed that in the listings, but just enough time to watch it on the iPlayer before the today's NRL match.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Further to the Raiders of the Lost Ark comment previously and how some films can be watched over again , Blazing Saddles was on the other night , knew all the lines , but the timing and some of the facial expressions just crease me up . Best comedy film ever .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Further to the Raiders of the Lost Ark comment previously and how some films can be watched over again , Blazing Saddles was on the other night , knew all the lines , but the timing and some of the facial expressions just crease me up . Best comedy film ever .

Some film buffs rate 'Young Frankenstein*' as Mel Brooks' best, but 'Blazing Saddles' is so funny, and so gleefully offensive to so many people, that it gets my vote. Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder's relationship is wonderful, but Harvey Korman really steals the show.

*"Fronk-en-shteen!"

And, if you love the movie, this documentary is very much worth 30 minutes of your time.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

29 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Some film buffs rate 'Young Frankenstein*' as Mel Brooks' best, but 'Blazing Saddles' is so funny, and so gleefully offensive to so many people, that it gets my vote. Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder's relationship is wonderful, but Harvey Korman really steals the show.

*"Fronk-en-shteen!"

And, if you love the movie, this documentary is very much worth 30 minutes of your time.

So ‘ gleefully offensive ‘ . I do like that phrase . The ‘ I want to be offended ‘ is straitjacketing humour to now , I just see funny or not funny 

Edited by DavidM

47 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

*"Fronk-en-shteen!"

Blazing Saddles is in my top10 movies easily. We watched it again earlier this year and the humour is just as good. 

The easily offended lot today just don’t get the humour or the messages behind that humour. 

• Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

33 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Do your exclamation marks denote excitement or horror? ? 

Well, given most of my comments are :WTF, or get off, good grief, or worraloadofrubbish..worraloadoshite...its a chance to let off steam .!

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ckn said:

Blazing Saddles is in my top10 movies easily. We watched it again earlier this year and the humour is just as good. 

The easily offended lot today just don’t get the humour or the messages behind that humour. 

It was one film my parents had me watch from an early age. I’m torn between that & Life of Brian on the comedy stakes

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Spidey said:

It was one film my parents had me watch from an early age. I’m torn between that & Life of Brian on the comedy stakes

You can have both!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 2/6/2018 at 8:57 PM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

My wife never knew her Grandad but found it very difficult to watch. However she saw her Nana at the meeting so that cheered her up. 

It was a very good documentary 

Police-hold-back-Mrs-Lillian-Bilocca-on-the-quayside-1733018.jpg

_88596745_mural.jpg

Another chance to see it on BBC4 at 9 tonight. It's followed up at 10 by a new programme on the subject, The Last Testament Of Lillian Bilocca, which is the title of Maxine Peake's outstanding dramatisation of the story.

• Like 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 hours ago, Ullman said:

Another chance to see it on BBC4 at 9 tonight. It's followed up at 10 by a new programme on the subject, The Last Testament Of Lillian Bilocca, which is the title of Maxine Peake's outstanding dramatisation of the story.

I missed it the first time around, so I'm glad it has been repeated so soon.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 9/1/2018 at 9:36 PM, Johnoco said:

I have seen a few adverts for the new series of the X Factor and the new judges. I recognise Robbie Williams but have absolutely no idea who the other 2 are.

I understand that's me not being up to speed BTW

I bumped into  "Celebrity" Impossible the other night and didn!t recognize 90% of them , join the club. 

I will most definitely be buying this! :biggrin:

2 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

I m really surprised that there have been no comments about the BBC2 film Mother's Day! Very moving and thought provoking.

I’ve not yet watched this yet. Hope to soon. 

It’s my hometown and I was about the same age as one of the victims at the time

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Ok, the really big news is here... television is saved.

Doctor Who returns on 7th October! Sound the fanfares!! :biggrin:

On a Sunday evening, ooh, now that's new.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/a0f9fe6c-8981-4cfb-a1f1-7165bae27370

More often than not I’d be catching up at some point on a Sunday anyway so no problems for me ??

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally started a genuinely serious attempt to watch Game of Thrones last night, after being repeatedly nagged by friends telling me how amazing it is and that I don't know what I'm missing.

I've never made it to the end of the first episode before, but I did this time, so only another (checks internet) 67 to go.

When does it get good?

47 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally started a genuinely serious attempt to watch Game of Thrones last night, after being repeatedly nagged by friends telling me how amazing it is and that I don't know what I'm missing.

I've never made it to the end of the first episode before, but I did this time, so only another (checks internet) 67 to go.

When does it get good?

Best tv programme ever in history . End of !