The TV Thread

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

cant do game of thrones- or the well worn out dr who claptrap - a bird with Bradley walsh as the assistant? jeeez - no thanks.

I lost it after Tom Baker . Agree about a woman though . Like James Bond , just ain’t right 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

cant do game of thrones- or the well worn out dr who claptrap - a bird with Bradley walsh as the assistant? jeeez - no thanks.

So you’re going into it with an open mind then? :biggrin:

• Haha 3

Just now, DavidM said:

I lost it after Tom Baker . Agree about a woman though . Like James Bond , just ain’t right 

the next dr who will be a disabled, transgender, half muslim half jewish creation by the bbc 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

James Bond is still a bloke, innee?

For now , i think it was one of the producers mentioning that possibility in a recent interview . Can’t see it though , although the flirting with moneypenny will be interesting 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Does it really matter that Doctor Who isn’t a bloke?

Bond as a woman wouldn’t be right to me but Doctor Who is a completely different thing. 

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

Bond as a woman wouldn’t be right to me but Doctor Who is a completely different thing. 

She might have a more sympathetic nature and better bedside manner 

18 minutes ago, ckn said:

Not to me. Maybe only to folk with very old fashioned viewpoints and who probably haven't watched it since 1972.

"Bah! It went downhill after William Hartnell!!"

Regular viewers coped with one of the major recurring villains, The Master, ending up as Missy a couple of years ago, not least because the part was played brilliantly by Michelle Gomez. If Jodie Whittaker is anything like as good in the lead role, she'll be a big hit.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

How do you know if you don't watch it?

This is the internet; you don't have to know something to complain about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, John Drake said:

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally started a genuinely serious attempt to watch Game of Thrones last night, after being repeatedly nagged by friends telling me how amazing it is and that I don't know what I'm missing.

I've never made it to the end of the first episode before, but I did this time, so only another (checks internet) 67 to go.

When does it get good?

Like you I didn't think much of it for the first few episodes and was going to stop watching, but I stuck with it, and believe me it slowly creeps up on you.  Wouldn't miss it now. 

Because I am unbearably pretentious, Netflix is now only recommending me things with subtitles and I can't be bothered to look for anything else.

Anyway, recommends for GHOUL which is silly and gory but gets it all done in three forty-five minute episodes. I also have high hopes for ULTRAVIOLET which is a Polish thing about amateur crime solvers using the interweb and social media as opposed to a late nighties British thing. Two episodes in and it's very enjoyable.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Mark S said:

If anyone hasn’t watched Ozark on Netflix you need to, it’s probably up there with Breaking Bad.

from the trailer it looks like a poor mans breaking bad at best, a very poor mans breaking bad, too much American ###### on these net channels for me

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

from the trailer it looks like a poor mans breaking bad at best, a very poor mans breaking bad, too much American ###### on these net channels for me

How dare these American broadcasters keep shoving American programmes down our throats. Get Julian Fellowes signed up for that 'On the Buses' remake immediately!

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

How dare these American broadcasters keep shoving American programmes down our throats. Get Julian Fellowes signed up for that 'On the Buses' remake immediately!

I’d watch that , but it would probably be on footmen to the royal carriage

On 9/12/2018 at 5:09 PM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Enjoying Bodyguard. Plenty of "theories" about where it's going. 

Oh, and Strictly's back! ? 

Yup I have enjoyed it to.  Managed to keep a good pace and set up nicely for the last episode.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

noticed lucky man is coming up on freeview, was it as good as the hype? the bloke in it seems to play exactly the same one dimensional character in everything hes ever been in 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

noticed lucky man is coming up on freeview, was it as good as the hype? the bloke in it seems to play exactly the same one dimensional character in everything hes ever been in 

Can't watch owt he's in, with that smug grin and like you say one dimensional acting.