The TV Thread

41 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I love Inside No9 but not sure if the Halloween special wasn't just a bit *too* clever?

Maybe, some very nice touches though.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

14 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I love Inside No9 but not sure if the Halloween special wasn't just a bit *too* clever?

I'm glad I watched it live and didn't switch over...

I was sat watching it thinking WTF is going on, till the penny drops, then you just have to tip your hat to Pemberton & Shearsmith for daring to do something so different with a live broadcast and potentially lose half their audience in the process.

Plus, it showed how daft it is to live tweet during a TV show you're supposed to be watching passing immediate judgement on something before you know how it's going to end. It's a pet hate of mine so it was very satisfying to see a lot of people who can't put their phones down for 30 minutes left looking really dumb. Take that, Twitter!

Apart from that, my favourite bit was Shearsmith's quip to Stephanie Cole: 'Bet you don't get this on Open All Hours'. :biggrin:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Apart from that, my favourite bit was Shearsmith's quip to Stephanie Cole: 'Bet you don't get this on Open All Hours'. :biggrin:

My fave might of been -

“What are they saying on twitter? Is it part of the twist? Oh do f*** off”

Edited by Bedford Roughyed
  • Haha 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

35 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Don't get me wrong, it was good. Just hard to tell what was real or not :D

same here, left me confused and looking for links from one thing to another, can anyone explain what was the sequence?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

20 hours ago, John Drake said:

I'm glad I watched it live and didn't switch over...

I was sat watching it thinking WTF is going on, till the penny drops, then you just have to tip your hat to Pemberton & Shearsmith for daring to do something so different with a live broadcast and potentially lose half their audience in the process.

Plus, it showed how daft it is to live tweet during a TV show you're supposed to be watching passing immediate judgement on something before you know how it's going to end. It's a pet hate of mine so it was very satisfying to see a lot of people who can't put their phones down for 30 minutes left looking really dumb. Take that, Twitter!

I got got. Watched it on iplayer and I only had 30 mins to spare so when they put on the repeat of A Quiet Night In I went and did something else.  Later on I saw people on facebook talking about it so went back and watched it later.  

Really enjoyed it.  Something different and clever (as per usual) and good halloween fun.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 10:02 PM, Liverpool Rover said:

Only Connect returned last night and I did quite well by my standards. I got at least three right.

I miss stuff like only connect. Before i moved from the uk there was a university challenge/only connect combo. I would sit on the inlaws awesome couch wi loads of chocolate and dominate

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

24 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I miss stuff like only connect. Before i moved from the uk there was a university challenge/only connect combo. I would sit on the inlaws awesome couch wi loads of chocolate and dominate

did u also take part in the quizzing?

As a Dad of 3 there are certain kids programmes I hate, but there are a few I enjoy watching with the kids. Voltron Legendary Defender on Netflix is, frankly one of the best shows on TV IMHO and I'm really enjoying the Dragon Prince as well. Does anyone have any kids shows that they secretly don't mind watching with the kids?

Channel 4 HQ off to Leeds.  I thought they might go Salford tbh, but Leeds is a decent choice.  

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

The shopkeeper must have struggled to make a living though, all he ever got was Mr Benn trying on the costumes but never hiring anything.

Top graphics though and great voice over from Ray Brooks.

the voice overs in those days were magical- the guy who did Paddington  Michael hordern- fantastic voice

4 hours ago, Johnoco said:

The shopkeeper must have struggled to make a living though, all he ever got was Mr Benn trying on the costumes but never hiring anything.

He used to bring back little historical souvenirs sometimes so he’d probably auction them off and split the profits with him . Hopefully . I’d hate to think our pleasure was on the back of the shopkeeper having to shut  down his shop ... 

Edited by DavidM

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Bagpuss ... Trumpton ... Captain Pugwash etc etc

there used to be a number in the phone book - bed time stories- read by johnny morris 

20 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Ray Brooks was brilliant as that poker playing gambler on a drama called Big Deal in the 80`s and also starred in top drama of the sixties Cathy Come Home , top man .

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

He also did a radio series called Detective, which is aired on Radio 4Extra  every now and then.

I think it's just finished another run, now available on iPlayer Radio.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Richard briers voice of roobarb  and custard was good too, always thought it was hard to tell if it was ray brooks or paul Nicholas on some voice overs as their voices sounded exactly the same 

On 10/31/2018 at 6:03 PM, DavidM said:

Oh bbc are trailing a programme on Prince Charles . Who’d have thunk it . I’m sure it’s hard hitting and not fawningly sycophantic at all ...

With his wife and his heir in it, they will tell the truth & slag him off, & give him a heart attack.

(Or maybe they won't)

Edited by Bleep1673

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, DavidM said:

Oh bbc are trailing a programme on Prince Charles . Who’d have thunk it . I’m sure it’s hard hitting and not fawningly sycophantic at all ...

this could be one of those Halloween week pranks that the beeb are so good at, prob turn out they have been filming mike yarwood out n about and they just want to dupe us- the rascals

17 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

this could be one of those Halloween week pranks that the beeb are so good at, prob turn out they have been filming mike yarwood out n about and they just want to dupe us- the rascals

You might be on to something.

In the trailer Prince Charles looks as if he's doing an impression of Rowley Birkin.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 minute ago, Ullman said:

You might be on to something.

In the trailer Prince Charles looks as if he's doing an impression of Rowley Birkin.

‘ Very impatient... meeeeee... you don’t say ‘ .  Oh my lord 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Richard briers voice of roobarb  and custard was good too, always thought it was hard to tell if it was ray brooks or paul Nicholas on some voice overs as their voices sounded exactly the same 

Roobarb & Custard? Now you're talking proper anarchy! I revisited a few episodes recently, for nostalgic reasons, and it is wonderfully nuts. Every frame wobbles.

The other, also wonderful, side of the coin was the Firmin/Postgate productions, which never lazily assumed that children had the attention span of a Donald Trump.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson