The TV Thread

2 hours ago, ckn said:

I can't get who they're trying to impress with this sort of twaddle.

I just decided to check the episode recap at Den of Geek. As far as I can remember, I have never seen a Den of Geek writer even so much as say something is 'bad' before now. Even with Mr Robot series 2 they kept saying how it might be dragging but here was a good bit etc.

They hated it.

Honestly, you might as well throw it all in the bin now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:43 PM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

My better half suggested we watch "The Marvellous Mrs Maisel" after she was told good things about it at work. 

I'm glad she did cos it's brilliant! 

We have just started this, wonderful, fast dialogue, well acted. Well worth watching

Guilty pleasure confessions time; we have become avid watchers of BBC day midweek, midday detective drama Father Brown. Started watching last year some time and have now worked our way through the entire back catalogue. It is rather good. The production values are surprisingly high, given its slot in the schedule, as is the quality of the acting and writing. Mark Williams makes an excellent Farther Brown. It's not exactly hard hitting and gritty, but it makes a fairly pleasant way to "escape" reality for an hour. The village of Kembleford is right up there with Midsummer as the most dangerous place in the country to live give their regular rate of murder!

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

22 minutes ago, Shadow said:

please explain this, I don't know what this TLA means amongst the young people and I'm impressed if it can cure what I think STD is short for.

Its the unfortunate shorted name for Star Trek Discover... which many feel is as pleasant as an STD.

2 hours ago, RidingPie said:

I've started series 3 of the Expanse, and blooming heck its good. IMHO its the best sci-fi series out there and has cured my despair of STD.

Shohreh Aghdashloo's character is a joy to watch.

The Expanse is one of the best shows on TV, not least of which being the science based reality of near future space travel.  Loved the patois of the Belters from day one and was a bit of an uncomfortable mirror for attitudes about northerners and being a northerner to be honest.

Really glad Amazon picked it up for season 4 and hope it can maintain it’s quality.

And David Strathairn, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated actors of the last 25 years.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ivans82 said:

TV drama Cleaning Up missed a good chance to show how gambling can destroy lives by yet another happy ending .Could have got a message home but chose the usual cop out .

Totally agree!

"Keep on gambling, it'll come right in the end" is not a good message to put out there. ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Enjoyed the last 2 episodes back to back last night, as they were a 2-parter, of Death in Paradise, Pity it wasn't Angus Deayton who was knocked off though. Annoying ####

Edited because the swear word wasn't #'ed, it was just blanked.

Edited by Bleep1673

16 hours ago, CanaBull said:

The Expanse is one of the best shows on TV, not least of which being the science based reality of near future space travel.  Loved the patois of the Belters from day one and was a bit of an uncomfortable mirror for attitudes about northerners and being a northerner to be honest.

Really glad Amazon picked it up for season 4 and hope it can maintain it’s quality.

And David Strathairn, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated actors of the last 25 years.

Watched the first episode last night based on the recommendations on here.

I feel somewhat embarrassed for having missed it before. Good stuff.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Watched the first episode last night based on the recommendations on here.

I feel somewhat embarrassed for having missed it before. Good stuff.

I will say that barring the protomolecule its PROPER sci-fi. I did think there was a lot going on in the first series that I didn't see how it fit together, but it is very good.

In series 1 Nasa even explained why one of the scenes is correct (not really a spoiler, a guy opens his mask in space because somethings floating round in his helmet and a lot of people though his eyes should have popped out and he should have died instantly, apparently though, Nasa say its right that as long as he pressurised quickly he'd be fine!)

• Like 1

Also if you -have- to watch kids TV (in my case with my children but sometimes its just an excuse and I'd watch it anyway... like Troll Hunters) Netflix has a few great shows on. The Dragon Prince, Hilda, and the aforementioned Troll Hunters and its sister show 3 Below (those last two were worked on by G DelTorro) are all really worth a catch... with the kids of course.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I’m enjoying the new incarnation of Das Boot at present 

Really enjoyed it. I downloaded the series and watched one episode a day.  It's not often I take a sharp intake of breath at the end of the series, but the last 20 seconds of the last episode made me do just that.  Roll on season 2.

Ok I’m not sure this is the right thread but it doesn’t really deserve its own and YouTube is kind of tv right?

a couple of years back a friend introduced me to Scott Bradlee’s Postmodern Jukebox and it’s fair to say I love them (in fact I’m going to see them in York in a couple of week). Usually they do modern songs in the style of 20’s-40’s music. Huge shout to their latest cover where they’ve done the theme to pinky and the brain, and got the original voice actors in

narf!

Mahershala Ali is all the rage at present and watching true detective I can see why. Really outstanding performance over three generations . The second series dipped from the first but this one is really gritty and interesting 

• Like 1

@TalkingPicsTV
You've heard the rumours? Delighted to officially announce that CALLAN will be coming to #TalkingPicturesTV starting Mon-4-Mar in the 9pm weeknight slot (excl: Weds) starting with the very first episode! 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good documentary on XTC on sky arts friday night .Andy Partridge came across as a bit of mad lad , but no wonder , didn`t realise he had such a miserable childhood .And by the time this was filmed Colin Moulding had morphed into Paul Whitehouse`s Mike Smash character . Anyway well deserved accolade to one of the most underrated British bands of all time .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Good documentary on XTC on sky arts friday night .Andy Partridge came across as a bit of mad lad , but no wonder , didn`t realise he had such a miserable childhood .And by the time this was filmed Colin Moulding had morphed into Paul Whitehouse`s Mike Smash character . Anyway well deserved accolade to one of the most underrated British bands of all time .

He does have a bit of a oddball sense of humour. Often see him around town. Top bloke, great band! ? 

https://youtu.be/bpb1mOp9J-8

2014 Challenged Cup Winner