The TV Thread

On 18/05/2019 at 12:59, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

*The Goblin slays the dragon and they all retreat to the big grey castle and have a giant's feast.

*I have never watched it

Nah you must have picked up my notes from the last game of AD&D I ever ran...

well... probably every game of AD&D I ever ran. 

• Like 1

I will keep my thoughts until after 22:30.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Happy to report, I was pretty happy with that ending. After being so critical of this series I'm glad it finished in a way I was cool with.

I stayed up and watched it to get closure.  But i cannot say i was happy with it.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

2 minutes ago, jacksy said:

I stayed up and watched it to get closure.  But i cannot say i was happy with it.

Once again pacing was an issue, but that was never going to change with 80mins left, but there was nothing that didnt make sense to me.

• Like 2

Obviously, people on here have not watched it, so will not say anymore.

• Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

6 hours ago, Shadow said:

I enjoyed the final episode of "The Big Bang Theory" 

Edited cos my amazing joke didn’t work.

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just started watching Seinfeld on Amazon so I'll probably start watching Game of Thrones in 2040. No spoilers until after then please! 

The butler did it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

In Seinfeld or GOT? 

Yes.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Game of Thrones final episode comments

Is that it?  Seven excellent series, I even really enjoyed the first four episodes of this final one despite them being roundly panned by critics.  The fifth I was OK with as I thought the unremitting darkness of it would be resolved in the final episode, in retrospect it was a very poor episode in the context of this final one.

In the context of this forum, it was like turning up for the Super League Grand Final and finding that it’d been swapped for an Old Fartoneans 5th team friendly game of union.

Come on...  seriously? They’ll tolerate a broken kid with clear possession issues and a clear history of manipulating things to get to this end point?  They’ll tolerate the North just breaking away on its own?  They’ll just write off the genocidal destruction of King’s Landing?  The horsey folk will be happy with being patted on the head and shipped back home? 

Not happy.  And I blame the awkward sod George R R Martin for not getting off his fat beardy behind and writing the end of the story properly in the last decade.

• Haha 3

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just started watching Seinfeld on Amazon so I'll probably start watching Game of Thrones in 2040. No spoilers until after then please! 

It’s pretty good.   

In the final scene Catelyn Stark wakes from a deep sleep to the sound of a shower running.  She gets up, walks to the bathroom, and there’s Ned Stark in the shower. He turns round, smiles, and says “Good morning”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

1 hour ago, Steve May said:

It’s pretty good.   

In the final scene Catelyn Stark wakes from a deep sleep to the sound of a shower running.  She gets up, walks to the bathroom, and there’s Ned Stark in the shower. He turns round, smiles, and says “Good morning”

I watched the whole of Seinfeld and can't remember that scene!! 

Breaking News. HBO have agreed to one more episode of Game of Thrones. Drogon  will return and burn all the scheming b's . The wheel will be broken!

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

3 hours ago, ckn said:

Game of Thrones final episode comments

Reveal hidden contents

Is that it?  Seven excellent series, I even really enjoyed the first four episodes of this final one despite them being roundly panned by critics.  The fifth I was OK with as I thought the unremitting darkness of it would be resolved in the final episode, in retrospect it was a very poor episode in the context of this final one.

In the context of this forum, it was like turning up for the Super League Grand Final and finding that it’d been swapped for an Old Fartoneans 5th team friendly game of union.

Come on...  seriously? They’ll tolerate a broken kid with clear possession issues and a clear history of manipulating things to get to this end point?  They’ll tolerate the North just breaking away on its own?  They’ll just write off the genocidal destruction of King’s Landing?  The horsey folk will be happy with being patted on the head and shipped back home? 

Not happy.  And I blame the awkward sod George R R Martin for not getting off his fat beardy behind and writing the end of the story properly in the last decade.

Naath? ?

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 1

GoT/Star Wars comparisons anyone?

Bran = Emperor Palpatine.  Manipulated everyone until he got his way

Davos = Old Wanky Knobby.  The wise old sage who didn’t half waffle some daft stuff in an accent that didn’t suit his character.

Arya = Han Solo.  Eccentric outcast rebel criminal type.

Sandor (the Hound) Clegane = Chewbacca. No more needed and just as clear in how he speaks.

Eunuch army = stormtroopers. Apart from the Grey Worm chap, I didn’t see one hit a single zombie in the big fight.

Daenerys = Darth Vader.

Jon Snow = Luke Skywalker who instead of killing his dad, killed his auntie.

Tyrion = Yoda?

Samwell = C3PO with body issues?

Ned Stark = Uncle Owen (pointless death that created lots of early angst in the film)

Littlefinger = Grand Moff Tarkin?

• Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Well the end of GoT was... a bit odd. 

Any TV series that has dragons , zombies , witches and isn't a comedy is ' odd ' 

I do get the feeling it will return at some point 

Edited by GUBRATS

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Any TV series that has dragons , zombies , witches and isn't a comedy is ' odd ' 

I’d disagree as most of it hasn’t been odd. They’ve built the world very well, but there were a lot of things that didn’t really stack up in the ending. 

2 hours ago, RidingPie said:

I’d disagree as most of it hasn’t been odd. They’ve built the world very well, but there were a lot of things that didn’t really stack up in the ending. 

Jon Snow’s parentage for example... wasn’t brought up at all in that final episode... strange. 

Overall, a truly great TV series. Lots of holes, misjudged pacing at times etc but boy was it good to watch and had you hooked. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Overall, a truly great TV series. Lots of holes, misjudged pacing at times etc but boy was it good to watch and had you hooked. 

This.

For me, the last episode was a bit underwhelming on first viewing, but that's only in comparison to all the riches that had preceded it.

Expectations could never be truly satisfied in an 80 minute swansong, no matter how they played it.

It did at least attempt to resolve the story, rather than cop out and leave everything just hanging in the air.

I won't be signing any petitions demanding it be remade. ?

• Like 1