The TV Thread

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I didn't have problem with it back in the day when I read it, and I wasn't on drugs any stronger than a pint of Robbie's mild.

Nor me, good read, not too obvious either.

Now Ulysses by Joyce that's an unreadable book!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I didn't have problem with it back in the day when I read it, and I wasn't on drugs any stronger than a pint of Robbie's mild.

Read it 25 years ago at university when I was determined to be 'well read' (the day job was studying Physics so it was a personal journey!).... Compared to the others on my list like Orwell/Wilde/Hardy/Dickens I found it awful..... I stress this was my view and at 45 might be worth me revisiting. 

I do however tend to stick bestsellers and the Booker nominees these days. Been enjoying the Pratchett stuff recommended by someone on here a while back

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Read it 25 years ago at university when I was determined to be 'well read' (the day job was studying Physics so it was a personal journey!).... Compared to the others on my list like Orwell/Wilde/Hardy/Dickens I found it awful..... I stress this was my view and at 45 might be worth me revisiting. 

I do however tend to stick bestsellers and the Booker nominees these days. Been enjoying the Pratchett stuff recommended by someone on here a while back

It's funny how different people's experiences are. I couldn't put it down. It was lent to me by a guy I used to know in the pub. Real Tory, old ex military type - I was amazed when I read it that he'd loved it as well.

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's funny how different people's experiences are. I couldn't put it down. It was lent to me by a guy I used to know in the pub. Real Tory, old ex military type - I was amazed when I read it that he'd loved it as well.

Okay... Will finish my current one ('A stranger in the house - Shari Lapena' ...... a reasonably obvious thriller)... Then I'll give C22 another go as a middle aged man .... Just ordered it..... Your fault if I hate it Tyrone ?

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Did it with a study book and still gave up.

I'm not sure I should say this but I finished it and even tried Finnegans Wake

Milo O'Shea was good as Bloom though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Okay... Will finish my current one ('A stranger in the house - Shari Lapena' ...... a reasonably obvious thriller)... Then I'll give C22 another go as a middle aged man .... Just ordered it..... Your fault if I hate it Tyrone ?

Whenever I used to get fed up in the old days I'd get my copy down and read a few chapters. it always cheered me up. That and  " The Good Soldier Schwiek " by Jaroslav Hasek.

• Like 1

image.png.ee5ac21e1c91040badc5d0c7a0a56fdd.png

and

image.png.29149f1665758716d4817d0b5c6f74ea.png

I think I might watch this even if it was rubbish as the only place TGG gets a mention on UK TV.

Edited by Oxford

On 16/06/2019 at 16:39, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

7 episodes of the Wire..... Me and her indoors have now given up.... Just don't get the hype- hasn't aged well and really slow.... I genuinely wanted to like it too  

We found the same tbh. We moved onto other things, too much choice around.

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Already mentioned this but the Italian series 'Gomhorra' is exceptional... One of the best ever

Yes, never seen it, but the new ads have made me consider it, may give that a go!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Watched the final episode of Years and Years tonight. Then straight away watched the news. I wasn't 100% sure that it wasn't the same programme. 

Yes the first episodes depressed us as much as the news so stopped watching much like the news .... and needs relegating to a political thread.

Having watched and really rated Good Omens a couple of weeks back it’s really tickled me this morning to see that a petition of 20,000 Christians has been signed to get Netflix to cancel it.......

hahahahahaha

Netflix! It’s on amazon prime.

1 hour ago, RidingPie said:

Having watched and really rated Good Omens a couple of weeks back it’s really tickled me this morning to see that a petition of 20,000 Christians has been signed to get Netflix to cancel it.......

hahahahahaha

Netflix! It’s on amazon prime.

20,000 Christians cannot be wrong. I am watching this tonight.

• Haha 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

I'd love to get my hands on a decent-quality recording of every episode of 'Posh Nosh'. Richard E.Grant is brilliantly neurotic and snobbish in it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Oxford said:

Did they state their reasons for their squeaky bum moment?

Yes, normalising satanism (well there’s an order of satanic monks but I’m not sure that really normalises it), mocks Gods wisdom, and possibly most worryingly, God is voiced by a woman!!!!!