The TV Thread

I'd also recommend 'The Tick' on Amazon, if the show's sense of humour floats your boat.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Noticed that BBC and ITV are starting their own joint channel called Britbox........and charging £5.99 per month............and BBC i take it will still be charging for a TV licence......what exactly are we paying a licence fee for ? Filling someones pockets no doubt !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Noticed that BBC and ITV are starting their own joint channel called Britbox........and charging £5.99 per month............and BBC i take it will still be charging for a TV licence......what exactly are we paying a licence fee for ? Filling someones pockets no doubt !

The BBC have a 10% stake, ITV 90%.  Ofcom only allows the BBC to have programmes on the iPlayer for 30 days (soon to be extended to a year).  Streaming cost a lot of money to set up, especially if you do it right.  You pay the licence fee to get multiple channels and radio free to air.  

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 17/07/2019 at 21:02, Spidey said:

I particularly like Bosch, The Man in the High Castle, Lucifer & American Gods

I also like the nostalgia series of Stargate & Highlander to pass the time now and again. 

Not sure if any of those float your boat

Watching s3 of Bosch today and the wife says that the character is an American version of Rebus with nicer weather and nicer looking people.  I may have to get one of the books to try it and see if it's the same quality of read as the Rebus books.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

12 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The BBC have a 10% stake, ITV 90%.  Ofcom only allows the BBC to have programmes on the iPlayer for 30 days (soon to be extended to a year).  Streaming cost a lot of money to set up, especially if you do it right.  You pay the licence fee to get multiple channels and radio free to air.  

So you're saying it's a TV tax and we're being robbed blind all to pay Jimmy Saville's salary?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Having a real chuckle at the hurt male egos on Twitter over the new Bond film and its lead role going to a woman.  You’d think they’d never seen a woman do more than make their husband’s tea...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

You’d think they’d never seen a woman do more than make their husband’s tea...

And we talk alot about how things at least seem better now.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 17/07/2019 at 21:02, Spidey said:

I particularly like Bosch, The Man in the High Castle, Lucifer & American Gods

I also like the nostalgia series of Stargate & Highlander to pass the time now and again. 

Not sure if any of those float your boat

I liked The Man in the High Castle.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

On 22/07/2019 at 18:54, ckn said:

Having a real chuckle at the hurt male egos on Twitter over the new Bond film and its lead role going to a woman.  You’d think they’d never seen a woman do more than make their husband’s tea...

Shame Nancy Wake is no longer with us. A real spy who strangled a nazi soldier with her hands. She was a 00 in 44.

These fellas are just embarrassing haters.

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 2

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

5 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

Is that another tedious historical period drama?

I don't know but the lack of believability leans to period soap opera.

6 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

I liked The Man in the High Castle.

Great stuff that one.

On 21/07/2019 at 03:12, ckn said:

Watching s3 of Bosch today and the wife says that the character is an American version of Rebus with nicer weather and nicer looking people.  I may have to get one of the books to try it and see if it's the same quality of read as the Rebus books.

I've read a few Bosch thrillers and Rebus is a favourite of mine

The comparison is valid. Similar quality of plot, writing style and depth of character etc. 

I recommend The Overlook... Read it last year

• Like 1

Peter Snow and Andi Peters Plane Spotting on BBC4.  Now that's a show!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Youth hostelling with Chris Eubank

EALvs4KXkAATh-j?format=jpg&name=medium

• Haha 1

I watched a documentary on Prime called Chernobyl's Café, about how life (of sorts) has returned to the exclusion zone around the power plant since the disaster in 1986.

I went there myself earlier this year (on a group tour while on holiday in Kiev) and I think I might not have done that if I'd watched this programme beforehand  - or the HBO series Chernobyl for that matter!

Going there was one of those things that seems like a good idea at the time, it is only 100km from Kiev, and the tours to the area are (no pun intended) booming. You are constantly assured of its safety, and where you can go is strictly controlled and supervised to ensure that, but you still have to sign all sorts of disclaimers before you enter the exclusion zone.

The local tour guide we had seemed a bit blasé about the whole thing, which was a bit unsettling. I'd expected it to be a more sombre experience.

While we were there, walking around Pripyat, a Ukranian TV crew emerged from nowhere and wanted to interview people about the Chernobyl TV series and whether it had encouraged anyone to go. No one said 'yes' which they seemed quite disappointed about. 

This documentary is an excellent alternative to going there yourself, and shows many areas you don't get to see anyway, including inside the power station itself, where astonishingly people are still working, despite the high doses of radiation still present in parts of it. One sequence involves a walk up the corridor that joined all four reactor buildings, until it abruptly ends at a blank white painted wall which is actually part of the old concrete sarcophagus that sealed off reactor number 4. Sobering stuff.

• Like 2

Sky Arts have done this one called the British and it's full of aren't we nice and think the right things and should appeal to me as a fully paid up member of the Bourgeiosie. I suppose it's okay if you think the Streets of London represents the Thatcher period. By the way it doesn't mention either of those from what I remember as the Twickers glaze over was particularly strong for a long time during.

Edited by Oxford