The TV Thread

On 27/09/2019 at 08:54, RidingPie said:

Watched the finale of Killjoys last night. Overall not ground breaking sci-fi but really fun and ended on exactly the right note. 

Seems like my wife now wants us to catch up on the Magicians... we’ll see. 

We also watched the first Bear Grill’s dropping people on a remote island with drops of money to see what happens (forgot the exact title). It seems the rich Lord has teamed up with the military while the ‘little’ people do the work to get water while not realising they’re being shafted. A great analogy for modern Britain if ever there was one. 

Also, thinking of it, if you like Killjoys, you’ll most likely enjoy Dark Matter. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

Also, thinking of it, if you like Killjoys, you’ll most likely enjoy Dark Matter. 

Also, if you like killjoys, you'll LOVE any thread on TRL that starts out with a positive news story.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Also, if you like killjoys, you'll LOVE any thread on TRL that starts out with a positive news story.

“67m confirmed UK TV audience for the best ever Grand Final”

TRL Forums: “I was the one not watching it as my season ticket for a club not in the GF didn’t get me in free of charge, it’s a disgrace!”

• Haha 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I must have missed it?

19 hours ago, ckn said:

I only watched Killjoys after Dark Matter ended. Like Killjoys it wasn’t groundbreaking but was a lot of fun. 

Does the sci-fi channel make any sci-fi anymore?

One thing I really don’t like about telly programmes is this thing of spending a load of time at the start showing you what’s coming up on the show .Often for minutes . i always  fast forward those bits when I  tape stuff , I don’t want to know thanks till I see it !

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

One thing I really don’t like about telly programmes is this thing of spending a load of time at the start showing you what’s coming up on the show .Often for minutes . i always  fast forward those bits when I  tape stuff , I don’t want to know thanks till I see it !

You still tape stuff? And they call me a flat capper!

• Haha 1

On 30/09/2019 at 09:09, DavidM said:

Yeh , and I take the little tab off the tapes when I want to keep something 

One thing I miss from the days of VHS was the snippets of 3 or 4 programmes at the beginning of anything you recorded left over from whatever you'd recorded over. 

I currently have access to a gazillion viewing options packed full of expensive new drama on Sky, Amazon and Netflix, but have spent the past week rewatching old episodes of Tales of the Unexpected on Sky Arts and a DVD of the BBC version of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy from 1981.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I currently have access to a gazillion viewing options packed full of expensive new drama on Sky, Amazon and Netflix, but have spent the past week rewatching old episodes of Tales of the Unexpected on Sky Arts and a DVD of the BBC version of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy from 1981.

Same , and I’m currently watching ( again ) Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on YouTube . And it never gets any less brilliant 

On 03/10/2019 at 17:13, John Drake said:

A few months ago I we series recorded all the tales of the unexpected (and there’s a lot of them). I followed that up with all episodes of the Sweeney. 

• Like 2

I'm watching The Apprentice, but it's really starting to grate on me. 

I think I've just had enough of cliché spouting, incompetent idiots making a mess of everything.

It's not amusing anymore, it's too much like real life.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I'm watching The Apprentice, but it's really starting to grate on me. 

I think I've just had enough of cliché spouting, incompetent idiots making a mess of everything.

It's not amusing anymore, it's too much like real life.

I've never been able get into it, all it has ever been for me is a list of people for sensible employers never to hire. I give you Katie Hopkins as a prime example.

Hot on the heels of UK Gold remaking old missing episodes of Dad's Army (well worth watching if you haven't seen them, btw) a bunch of students from UCL have remade a missing 1960s episode of Doctor Who, Mission to the Unknown, and released it on YouTube.

Doctor Who nerds will know that this is the only episode in the show's entire history not to feature the Doctor or any of the regular cast, but was a scene setter for a subsequent 12 part story called The Daleks Masterplan (of which only about 3 episodes remain intact).

I watched it last night and have to say it's very good if you're used to watching the old episodes from the 60s, it has captured the look and atmosphere of them superbly.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 16:25, Wolford6 said:

Sky Arts' 2019 Landscape Artist of the Year starts next week. Gives viewers a valuable opportunity to shout at the telly and one of the judges is really good looking.

In our house we try to guess which gimmick the "experts" will justify putting in the next round.

• Like 1