The TV Thread

9 hours ago, ivans82 said:

GIRI/HAJI the other night was great TV , very stylish , even had a Tarantinoesque cartoon section , looking forward to how it pans out .

I am enjoying it. 5 down 3 episodes to go on iplayer

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 20/10/2019 at 09:37, ivans82 said:

GIRI/HAJI the other night was great TV , very stylish , even had a Tarantinoesque cartoon section , looking forward to how it pans out .

good shout,just managed 5 hours and i think its great.would a made a good movie too.:kolobok_popcorm1:

Caught it for the first time tonight.  Really enjoyed it.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I watched that thing Nick Knowles presents where they do up a property for a deserving family tonight.

It restored my faith in human nature. Good people, doing good things, for other good people, for no reward.

Not many TV shows you can say that about.

Unfortunately it was followed on BBC One by a fly-on-the-wall programme following the work of the Met Police, and they were investigating the senseless, brutal murder of a young Albanian man in London by a gang of scumbags outside a pub.

I could've done without this kind of 'balance' to my evening's viewing. ?

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

I watched that thing Nick Knowles presents where they do up a property for a deserving family tonight.

It restored my faith in human nature. Good people, doing good things, for other good people, for no reward.

Not many TV shows you can say that about.

20 years of DIY SOS

I am upto ep2, but I will watch the rest on BBC2.

For those who read the book, The Name of the Rose, is also much better than the awful film. A 14th c murder mystery set within a monastery 

Edited by Bleep1673
Edited for accuracy

18 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

For those who read the book, The Name of the Rose, is also much better than the awful film. A 17th c murder mystery set within a monastery 

I love the film actually , but I’m thoroughly enjoying this . It must have been absolutely blooming freezing for them is what I keep thinking !

Tonight on Channel 5, Caravanning with Shane Ritchie.

Was this actually one of the ideas Alan Partridge pitched to Tony Hayers? With C5, you're never really sure.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just watched a Sky Arts tribute show about Jule Christie. Looked up her Wikipedia page and she's 79!

God, I can still vividly remember when Waterloo Sunset came out. Still, for me, one of the best songs ever written.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Watched Guilt last night on BBC2 . The critics seem to like it , but to me it was neither a drama , a "dark" comedy which it is described as , but more of a Brian Rix farce (one for our older readers there ) , lurching from one implausible scene to another .A few good comedy moments  , but wont be tuning in for the other 3 episodes .

On 25/10/2019 at 21:31, Futtocks said:

Tonight on Channel 5, Caravanning with Shane Ritchie.

Was this actually one of the ideas Alan Partridge pitched to Tony Hayers? With C5, you're never really sure.

I have noticed C5's catch up player has gone from my TV, and as a lot of breaks on C5 just seem to be trailers for future shows, is everything financially stable at C5?

On 26/10/2019 at 20:40, Wolford6 said:

Just watched a Sky Arts tribute show about Jule Christie. Looked up her Wikipedia page and she's 79!

God, I can still vividly remember when Waterloo Sunset came out. Still, for me, one of the best songs ever written.

She was a goddess as Lara in Zhivago. Just having a listen to Lara's theme now. 

Edited by jacksy

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Anyone watched Swamp Thing on amazon prime? It is a DC show.

Started it last week and have gottenthrough about 7 episodes (10 in the first season) - I am still not sure exactly how to make it.I am quite enjoying it though, has a few themes that aren't regularly explored in some other shows which I am enjoying.

I do love the swamp aesthetic of the show, the dark, vibrant at other times is great.

On 24/10/2019 at 23:17, John Drake said:

It restored my faith in human nature. Good people, doing good things, for other good people, for no reward 

no reward apart from national tv exposure for their services and businesses and 15 mins of fame, I wonder how many of them would do it otherwise? similar to the rowan Atkinson "songs of praise" vicar sketch.

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

18 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

There is a rumour that Taskmaster is moving from Dave to Channel 4. So would possibly mean Jimmy Carr and Tom Allen will be on the next series as they seem to have to be on every programme that Channel 4 do. Carr has his moments but I just do not find Allen funny whatsoever.

Tom Allen could be good on a programme about how to buy a rather well-cut suit. but as a comedian, all he has is self-satisfaction and the very occasional decent one-liner.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Apparently, if one has bought an iPhone ever (it seems) you get a year of Apple TV for free.

Sounds too good to be true. Do you have a link? all I can find on google is free for a year if iPhone purchased after Sept 10

1 minute ago, Moose said:

Sounds too good to be true. Do you have a link? all I can find on google is free for a year if iPhone purchased after Sept 10

Maybe it's that then. It just seemed that everyone I knew seemed to be getting the same offer through and I'm sure we haven't all bought new iPhones since then.

For what's on there now, 'free' would seem to be the best price.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)