The TV Thread

OK,  let's give "His Dark Materials" a go.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

14 hours ago, tim2 said:

OK,  let's give "His Dark Materials" a go.

I  am and Carnival Row.

I might mix them up!

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Anyone seen the new series of Jack Ryan? Started it this weekend, got through about 4 episodes so far. Can't really remember much of the first season, but I am still enjoying this one, although from memory, not as much as I enjoyed the first.

1 hour ago, Click said:

Anyone seen the new series of Jack Ryan? Started it this weekend, got through about 4 episodes so far. Can't really remember much of the first season, but I am still enjoying this one, although from memory, not as much as I enjoyed the first.

In my list of things to watch, along with the new series of Goliath and Atypical 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Well, Carnival Row had everything:  migrants, refugees, racism, prejudice, intrigue, lies, villainy, Ghettos and populist politicians.

All the messages will be wasted and I almost put this on the Brexit thread!

2 hours ago, Click said:

I've read a few of the books (trashy I know) 

I wouldn't be abe to get over the casting to watch this..... It's the bloke who plays the American version of Tim from the Office right? 

I always had in my head Hugh Jackman or his type

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

2 hours ago, Click said:

I thought the first was surprisingly fun although also completely implausible (up to and including "yes, the terrorist mastermind uses his kids' birthdays as his phone password" (or whichever variation it was of that)), and the final episode didn't take the tension as far as it could have done. But fun. I will watch the new series.

Currently watching Koreans kick each other in Vagabond and the French get existential in Ad Vitam, both on Netflix.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

never been interested in Netflix or now tv or anything of the like, a tsunami of garbage from what I can tell, I have the attention span of a flea and 10mins in front of a tv at a time already seems like am wasting my life away, last time I went to the cinema mrs doubtfire was on, did enjoy breaking bad a few years ago but apart from that not fussed.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 02/11/2019 at 11:48, graveyard johnny said:

no reward apart from national tv exposure for their services and businesses and 15 mins of fame, I wonder how many of them would do it otherwise? similar to the rowan Atkinson "songs of praise" vicar sketch.

I hope never to be as cynical as you.

On 04/11/2019 at 15:03, Oxford said:

Well, Carnival Row had everything:  migrants, refugees, racism, prejudice, intrigue, lies, villainy, Ghettos and populist politicians.

All the messages will be wasted and I almost put this on the Brexit thread!

You can get 90% of that for free on C5's Police Interceptors.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

You can get 90% of that for free on C5's Police Interceptors.

Yeah but that would be a very different set of messages and Wetherspoons is 5 minutes down the road from here so I could just go and listen.

On 02/11/2019 at 22:47, Shadow said:

In the commercial break on Channel 4 at 10.45 tonight I saw an Asda and a PC World Christmas Advert.

For#### Sake people, it's only just November

When do you want Christmas adverts? After 9pm on Christmas Eve? Traditionally this was when the summer holiday adverts started.

I was watching TV last night, and there was a new cookery programme on, hosted by Rick Stein, Now I like Rick, having eaten at his restaurant for my birthday in 2006, on the day England played Germany in the German World Cup, but this new series looks nothing new. It's style is the same as many other Stein Series, and it seems to be so self-indulgent, as to be almost a pastiche of travelogues/cookery shows. Episode one was about as tedious as it gets, there was Stein, going around Northern France bemoaning the fact that because no-one has two hour lunches anymore French cuisine is dying, in favour of the dreaded "Fast Food". I'm sorry Rick, but welcome to the 21st century, fast food doesn't have to mean burgers & chips though. As for the food he cooked, well, mussels in cider is not exactly exotic, is it? Given the amount of alcohol he consumes, I think an occasional breathalyser test would be appropriate too before driving his Porsche.

Edited by Bleep1673

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

As for the food he cooked, well, muscles in cider is not exactly exotic, is it? Given the amount of alcohol he consumes, I think an occasional breathalyser test would be appropriate too before driving his Porsche.

would rather have mussels - well you started it!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

would rather have mussels - well you started it!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I did. Sorry English language users on this board. I will go and offer myself as a sacrifice to Jacob Rees-Mogg & Gyles Brandreth immediately

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Never start a sentence with the word And, also Stephen Fry's name should start with capital letters.

My excuse is I’m West Cumbrian so I’m not one of the English language users 

• Like 2