The TV Thread

We watched the first two episodes of For All Mankind on the new Apple TV service using the free trial.  Beyond abysmal.  Effectively rewriting history saying how good it'd all have been if only we let women lead the space race and keep the knuckle-dragging men in their place. It was almost literally "we'll make a character better, stronger and more wonderful for each protected characteristic she has".

Absolutely no recognition that some fantastic women really were part of the successes of the US space race "wins". Nope, our ultra-masculine history bad, new feminist revision good!

• Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Having avoided it for the simple reason that anything the Guardian promotes usually turns out to be terrible, I finally gave Derry Girls a go.

I watched the first episode on Monday and polished off the last one yesterday. So I think that covers the fact that I enjoyed it immensely.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This is on tonight, and looks like it could be good.

Friday 15th of November - Blue Note Records: Beyond the Notes (2019 90mins.) [BBC4 21.30]
Freeview premiere

When German-Jewish refugees Alfred Lion and Francis Wolff started Blue Note in 1939 in New York, the duo allowed artists complete freedom and encouraged them to compose new music. Their visionary and uncompromising approach led to releases that not only revolutionized jazz, but also left an indelible imprint on art and music, including hip-hop.

This documentary delves behind the scenes to look at the pioneering label that gave voice to some of the finest jazz artists of the 20th and 21st centuries.

Featuring rare archival interviews with Blue Note musicians.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 13/11/2019 at 10:03, ckn said:

We watched the first two episodes of For All Mankind on the new Apple TV service using the free trial.  Beyond abysmal.  Effectively rewriting history saying how good it'd all have been if only we let women lead the space race and keep the knuckle-dragging men in their place. It was almost literally "we'll make a character better, stronger and more wonderful for each protected characteristic she has".

Absolutely no recognition that some fantastic women really were part of the successes of the US space race "wins". Nope, our ultra-masculine history bad, new feminist revision good!

The trailer for that looked fantastic, really caught my imagination with the notion that the Russians beat the Americans to the moon. But I watched the first episode and it didn't really live up to my expectations at all, it was quite slow and dull. So much so that I didn't get as far as the free second episode.

In contrast, I thought I'd loathe their other big drama launch, The Morning Show, but I've watched both the freebie episodes and quite enjoyed them. Not enough to subscribe to see the rest though. I'm a bit narked not to qualify for the free year, considering the amount of cash Apple have had out of me already this year, and there isn't much else on there that would justify me paying extra for it.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The trailer for that looked fantastic, really caught my imagination with the notion that the Russians beat the Americans to the moon. But I watched the first episode and it didn't really live up to my expectations at all, it was quite slow and dull. So much so that I didn't get as far as the free second episode.

In contrast, I thought I'd loathe their other big drama launch, The Morning Show, but I've watched both the freebie episodes and quite enjoyed them. Not enough to subscribe to see the rest though. I'm a bit narked not to qualify for the free year, considering the amount of cash Apple have had out of me already this year, and there isn't much else on there that would justify me paying extra for it.

That’s why we watched it, the trailer was good. The programme was dire. We watched the 2nd as we couldn’t believe it was going to continue to be that bad. The 2nd episode was worse, it got into its “message” properly from then on. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

21 hours ago, jacksy said:

The Mandolorian was very good.

Yup I enjoyed episode one and it was enough to want to see where it goes.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yup I enjoyed episode one and it was enough to want to see where it goes.

And episode 2 done.  Liking it so far.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

10 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

The Americans. 

Managed to miss all but the very last episode, yet still chose to watch it in its entirety. Despite knowing the conclusion, it was that good I feel compelled to watch it from the start, all six series.

One of the better programmes we've watched over the last few years!

13 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

The Americans. 

Managed to miss all but the very last episode, yet still chose to watch it in its entirety. Despite knowing the conclusion, it was that good I feel compelled to watch it from the start, all six series.

Excellent and well worth catching up on.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

half way through an episode of on the buses, artfur was tiling the bathroom at the same time as olive was mixing a bowl of icing, cant wait to watch the rest later, I wonder what could happen?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I've just started watching a real blast from the past on iTunes, a TV series made for children in the 1970s called The Changes.

If you saw it at the time, you've probably been living with the trauma ever since. A sort of 'Threads for Juniors' it charts the life of a schoolgirl who sees the world around her descend into chaos when humanity suddenly turns against machines due to some unexplained force.

One minute, she's sat doing her homework in the front room watched over by her parents. Before the end of episode 1, she's abandoned and alone, foraging for food in a deserted city and watching people die from sickness caused by dirty water.

Bleak as hell, but incredibly realistic and well made for the time. Fleeing crowds, deserted streets filled with wreckage, empty motorway with smashed up cars. 

Kids telly in the 1970s was gritty stuff!

Danny Dyer on Who Do You Think You Are? - repeated now on BBC1. Unintentionally hilarious.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Henchman: The Al Leong Story (Amazon Prime)
You may not know his name, but if you've watched any film or TV from the Eighties, you'll recognise him. A biopic of a guy who originally intended to build and run a Motocross circuit, but ended up as one of the most recognisable bad guys on screen.

823581_83D5NGjF.jpg

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was watching Giri/Haji last night, and about half an hour in the Japanese are having a funeral scene on a beach somewhere & it's sandy, but windswept, I thought, nice, somewhere east Essex maybe.

Then the scene shifts to a view of Hastings Pier, and our beach, and Marine court in the distance as father & daughter walk along Bottle Alley, under the Promenade, in front of my flat, and realise the sandy beach was Camber Sands, where they filmed the desert scenes in Carry on Follow That Camel.

Edited by Bleep1673