The TV Thread

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

I really like The Repair Shop . Educate , inform , entertain the BBC maxim , it’s one of the few shows for me that does them . Should be on prime time 

Bring back Money for Nothing.

Actually, no. Don't. Please, ever.

If the BBC promise never to commission, or show any new, or repeated episodes of "Sarah" and her smug, dodgy grin, I promise to buy a TV licence.

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Like 1

The new Ken Burns documentary series (Country music this time) is, like his previous work, a touch too reverential and humourless, but still top quality work. Episode 1 went out this evening on BBC4.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

The new Ken Burns documentary series (Country music this time) is, like his previous work, a touch too reverential and humourless, but still top quality work. Episode 1 went out this evening on BBC4.

Ken Burns docs are a must view. Peter Coyote is one of my favourite narrators.

• Like 1

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

I watched the first episode of the new series of The Crown on Netflix last night. 

Not sure about the new cast yet. A bit too famous perhaps? I’m still seeing Olivia Colman and Helena Bonham-Carter rather than Her Maj and Margaret. 

I’m sure I’ll get used to them after a couple more episodes. 

I thought Harold Wilson was more immediately convincing, as I’m not as familiar with the actor playing the part.

It’s a good history lesson, this show. I always end up searching to find out more about the incidents it covers on t’internet afterwards. I remembered Anthony Blunt being ‘unmasked’ as a Russian spy in the early 80s but didn’t know the background to the story until now.

• Like 1

Just watched 'The Great Escape - The Reckoning', a movie type documentary that followed the post war investigation to punish the Nazis responsible for the execution of the 50 allied servicemen who tunneled out of Stalag Luft lll and into movie history via The Great escape.

A special group was set up, led by a Blackpool policeman, Frank McKenna, and it shows how a number of the escapees were caught, and executed (not in a large groups as in the film, but in ones and two's, as they were being taken back to the Stalag), and how McKennas group caught the vast majority of the executioners.   Well worth a watch. 

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

On 21/11/2019 at 13:27, John Drake said:

I've just started watching a real blast from the past on iTunes, a TV series made for children in the 1970s called The Changes.

If you saw it at the time, you've probably been living with the trauma ever since. A sort of 'Threads for Juniors' it charts the life of a schoolgirl who sees the world around her descend into chaos when humanity suddenly turns against machines due to some unexplained force.

One minute, she's sat doing her homework in the front room watched over by her parents. Before the end of episode 1, she's abandoned and alone, foraging for food in a deserted city and watching people die from sickness caused by dirty water.

Bleak as hell, but incredibly realistic and well made for the time. Fleeing crowds, deserted streets filled with wreckage, empty motorway with smashed up cars. 

Kids telly in the 1970s was gritty stuff!

Did that have a boat in it called the heartseas?

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:20, DavidM said:

I really like The Repair Shop . Educate , inform , entertain the BBC maxim , it’s one of the few shows for me that does them . Should be on prime time 

I record this and watch it in an evening. Such talented people well apart from Jay who adds nothing to the show at all.

2 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

I record this and watch it in an evening. Such talented people well apart from Jay who adds nothing to the show at all.

I do too . Totally absorbing , I’m just thinking ‘ how did you do that ‘ . Jay is there to , err , say let’s take this to you’re workbench , how’s it coming along , tell me if you need anything , and well done you at the end . Stuff like that ?

Edited by DavidM

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It does!

I remember bits of it from  watching it at the time,  I seem to recall there were a few of that type of dark childrens drama at the time.

Timeslip was another that scared me.

Edited by Shadow

After 2 episodes of War of the Worlds, I’m not convinced.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

18 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I remember bits of it from  watching it at the time,  I seem to recall there were a few of that type of dark childrens drama at the time.

Timeslip was another that scared me.

Timeslip was fantastic. 

I vividly remember a scene where one of the characters suddenly aged to death in some kind of polar research base, it scared the living daylights out of me as a kid! 

I’ve heard quite a few good things about The Mandalorian so went looking for it to watch. In the UK, it’s not out until March for some strange reason. This is why people pirate copyrighted content in these days of easy internet downloading. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

That advert for Motability....the one with people singing about being free?

I’m almost certainly going to hell for this but I really hate that advert. ?

If we're talking adverts, the pizza in that Violife fake cheese commercial is traumatising, and I'm not even Italian!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Years & Years on HBO came very highly recommended.

But it's not a patch on any episode of Black Mirror for mine.....

I stopped watching Years and Years after two episodes. Not because it was badly written or made, but I just found the storyline too depressing. A shame as I'm usually a big fan of Russell T Davies.

Black Mirror has the distinct advantage that each episode is self-contained. If one doesn't hit the mark, the next will be completely different anyway. It's a great show.

On 02/12/2018 at 21:20, Futtocks said:

On BBC4 right now, the documentary Secrets of British Animation. It is even more ace than Cas Vegas!

It is not. And you know it. ?

• Haha 1

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

--------------------------

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

On 25/11/2019 at 13:14, ckn said:

I’ve heard quite a few good things about The Mandalorian so went looking for it to watch. In the UK, it’s not out until March for some strange reason. This is why people pirate copyrighted content in these days of easy internet downloading. 

I would be enjoying The Mandalorian if I could legally watch it in this country, which I can’t so of course I haven’t seen the first four episodes. At all. Nope. Not me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1