The TV Thread

10 minutes ago, BryanC said:

I have the builders in at the moment and have had to take my TV out of use.

Not missing it one bit, but am reading some very good books.

They’d have to knock things down around me as I’m watching telly .

And although I love Nina Wadia, I think the current series of Death in Paradise has gone downhill, even more since Ralph Little has joined, bloo die hell it's awful., Scripts and acting are dire, I think it's past it's sell by date. The best actor 05.02.20 was Steve Pemberton, and I seriously think he is overated.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2020 at 12:16, silverback said:

Can i just mention that anyone thinking of giving COBRA a look. dont bother its naff.

This show really bugged me. Nice enough idea, but then just executed in a really really dense way. 

Some good acting and nice bits in it, but they skirted over some stuff, and over-egged other bits. I think had they taken some time with it and had it as a maybe 10 parter, it could have been quite interesting, but it was a real missed-opportunity.

Another show that is frustrating the life out of me at the moment is Good Place. It really has gone off track. I'm not sure why they think it is entertaining to keep watching all these weird theories and re-runs and seeing the actors stuck in really boring scenes, instead of seeing them out in the world actually doing stuff. The constant re-boots of characters has had the effect of you losing any kind of bond with them. A real shame, and we have actually given up on watching it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

On the previous page! 
But I did think it was very good. 

Duly noted 

On 08/02/2020 at 21:47, Shadow said:

Johnoco is entirely correct, The Stranger on Netflix is excellent

• Haha 1

I watched the 10,000th episode of Corrie on catch up over the weekend (something which would have seemed like science fiction when the first episode was broadcast).

I haven't watched Corrie at all for quite a few years, but it still had all the hallmarks of what made it worth watching in the first place. I enjoyed it. As a landmark episode, they shoehorned in plenty of references to old characters, and wisely put the longest serving cast members at the centre of the story.

But could this finally be the end for Ken Barlow...? Leaving The Street for a retirement home with Rula Lenska...? ?

• Like 1

On 08/02/2020 at 22:43, Bleep1673 said:

And although I love Nina Wadia, I think the current series of Death in Paradise has gone downhill, even more since Ralph Little has joined, bloo die hell it's awful., Scripts and acting are dire, I think it's past it's sell by date. The best actor 05.02.20 was Steve Pemberton, and I seriously think he is overated.

I thought the first couple of series were okay but, right now I'm uncomfortable with it.

In my opinion, the show is downright colonial. We've been fed years of dumb caribbeans needing an imported white man to sort out complex murders that they haven't got the resources or initiative to sort out themselves.

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

37 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I watched the 10,000th episode of Corrie on catch up over the weekend (something which would have seemed like science fiction when the first episode was broadcast).

I haven't watched Corrie at all for quite a few years, but it still had all the hallmarks of what made it worth watching in the first place. I enjoyed it. As a landmark episode, they shoehorned in plenty of references to old characters, and wisely put the longest serving cast members at the centre of the story.

But could this finally be the end for Ken Barlow...? Leaving The Street for a retirement home with Rula Lenska...? ?

Agree with much of this, it was a nice nostalgic show with plenty of that Corrie silliness. 

However, I'm not sure why but some of the acting was really poor, I wonder if it is the 5 episodes a week thing just squeezing these actors too much that they are settling for one take and moving on. Some of those actors are far better than we saw the other night. 

53 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Agree with much of this, it was a nice nostalgic show with plenty of that Corrie silliness. 

However, I'm not sure why but some of the acting was really poor, I wonder if it is the 5 episodes a week thing just squeezing these actors too much that they are settling for one take and moving on. Some of those actors are far better than we saw the other night. 

I know what you mean, but it's not just the actors they are squeezing with the busy schedule. I stopped watching it on a regular basis when it went from two or three episodes a week to being on what seemed like almost every day. It was impossible to keep up.

Annie Walker wouldn't have tolerated it!

• Haha 1

On 05/02/2020 at 17:41, BryanC said:

I have the builders in at the moment and have had to take my TV out of use.

Not missing it one bit, but am reading some very good books.

such as the tv times for instance

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Classic Inside No.9 tonight.  Hard to say anything without spoilers but I was hooked and it just ripped along.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

11 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Classic Inside No.9 tonight.  Hard to say anything without spoilers but I was hooked and it just ripped along.  

Agreed.

One of the few shows I still try to watch live on first broadcast to avoid spoilers.

Speaking of Coronation Street, I signed up to the 30 day free trial of Britbox last night as they've stuck some classic episodes on there which I thought would be fun to watch. There's only about a dozen on there right now, including the first one which I've seen a few times before, but a couple of the other black and white episodes really show Corrie at its best. So many memorable characters, doing relatively ordinary things, but effortlessly drawing you into the drama... and the natural comedy of some of the situations.

Having trawled through what's available on Britbox, and made a list of the stuff I'd like to watch on there, it is highly likely I'll be forking out the £5.99 per month subs fee after the free trial ends, if only to keep access to the entire back catalogue of classic Doctor Who on demand. It's so much easier to stream than faff around changing DVDs that I might just get around to watching them all in order from the start, which I've often thought of doing but never got round to.

Also, to see what else pops up on there in future, given the vast archive of material that must be available in the vaults of the BBC & ITV.

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Speaking of Coronation Street, I signed up to the 30 day free trial of Britbox last night as they've stuck some classic episodes on there which I thought would be fun to watch. There's only about a dozen on there right now, including the first one which I've seen a few times before, but a couple of the other black and white episodes really show Corrie at its best. So many memorable characters, doing relatively ordinary things, but effortlessly drawing you into the drama... and the natural comedy of some of the situations.

Having trawled through what's available on Britbox, and made a list of the stuff I'd like to watch on there, it is highly likely I'll be forking out the £5.99 per month subs fee after the free trial ends, if only to keep access to the entire back catalogue of classic Doctor Who on demand. It's so much easier to stream than faff around changing DVDs that I might just get around to watching them all in order from the start, which I've often thought of doing but never got round to.

Also, to see what else pops up on there in future, given the vast archive of material that must be available in the vaults of the BBC & ITV.

Dr Who you say ? 

You do know, don't you, that Corrie is a serial documentary? ??

Met the guy who played Albert Tatlock checked into the Strand Palace Hotel at the same time as me back in the late 1960s and was indistinguishable from the character he played. 

Audrey Roberts is Sue Nicholls-Eden. Her father was Sir Harmar Nicholls, later Lord Harmar-Nicholls, the former Conservative MP for Peterborough (1950–1974) and MEP for Greater Manchester South (1979–1984), and subsequently a life peer; she is thus entitled to be addressed as "The Honourable Susan Nicholls". 

Edited by JohnM

23 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I’m not sure whether the minds that thought of the closing scene is genius or needs help. ??

I think you could say that about pretty much everything they do!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

6 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

My son asked me about the type of programmes I watched when I was a kid and I mentioned Rentaghost. We watched an episode. Let's say it didn't live up to my childhood memories. ?

Interesting how different the initial series were (which I don't think I've ever seen) when compared to the later ones.

http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2009/01/05/rentaghost/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)