The TV Thread

Could not stand Rentaghost as a child.

However, i do like the new comedy show by the BBC called Ghosts.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

2 hours ago, jacksy said:

Could not stand Rentaghost as a child.

However, i do like the new comedy show by the BBC called Ghosts.

I've heard a lot of good things about 'Ghosts', but haven't got round to seeing even a minute of it yet. So many shows, so little time.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A very different Inside No.9 this week, but I thought it was fantastic acting all round.  Great hints of Ken Loach or Shane Meadows.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

14 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Quite willing to admit it’s me at fault and old but The Brits? Absolutely no idea who these people are. Modern popular music is utter crud. 

"Who's that? What's that?"

"It it a boy or a girl?"

"You can't make out the words!"

"Where are the Mike Sammes Singers? Or Lonnie Donegan?"

"It's all noise!"

"Fancy a Werthers original?"

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Was some lass called Mabel singing and I said ‘she looks like Neneh Cherry a bit’ ... then discovered she is her daughter.

This is where the Brit Awards need Ray French; "That was young, errr, Mabel, I remember her mam playin' for Rip, Rig & Panic".

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 12/02/2020 at 18:32, Futtocks said:

I've heard a lot of good things about 'Ghosts', but haven't got round to seeing even a minute of it yet. So many shows, so little time.

Give it a go. I loved it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

20 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

A very different Inside No.9 this week, but I thought it was fantastic acting all round.  Great hints of Ken Loach or Shane Meadows.  

Not seen this week's yet but I've been very impressed so far. They just seem to get better.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

11 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Quite willing to admit it’s me at fault and old but The Brits? Absolutely no idea who these people are. Modern popular music is utter crud. 

As I'd never heard of ' Dave ' , I thought I'd look him up 

Interesting bloke , apparently he had a big ' hit ' with a song called Tiago Silva , so I looked up the lyrics 

? , What a complete load of rubbish , which when you consider that rap songs don't actually have a tune anyway , the lyrics are the important bit , utter nonsense 

Did the same for ' Tyler the creator ' , seems like a nice guy ?

Edited by GUBRATS

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Interesting bloke , apparently he had a big ' hit ' with a song called Tiago Silva , so I looked up the lyrics 

? , What a complete load of rubbish , which when you consider that rap songs don't actually have a tune anyway , the lyrics are the important bit , utter nonsense 

Maybe you should look up the lyrics for his album "Psychodrama".

He's 21 now, and Thiago Silva came out in 2016. The guy is immensely talented for his age.

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

He’s so famous he’s got a tv channel named after him . By the way I wonder if his real name is Rodney ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

He’s so famous he’s got a tv channel named after him . By the way I wonder if his real name is Rodney ?

I dunno, but Papa Lazarou's been looking for him...

• Haha 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If you say so ?

I am just letting you know a bit more about him.

He had one of the biggest albums of 2019, so it isn't like he has come from nowhere. I would recommend listening to a couple of his songs from that album if you are interested in more in depth music that actually speaks about issues in life, etc.

2 minutes ago, Click said:

I am just letting you know a bit more about him.

He had one of the biggest albums of 2019, so it isn't like he has come from nowhere. I would recommend listening to a couple of his songs from that album if you are interested in more in depth music that actually speaks about issues in life, etc.

He's not a Lennon or McCartney is he ? 

I often have arguments with people over which is more important the lyrics or the tune/melody/music , which ever you prefer .Usually 90% choose the music , which is what grabs you initially .Most of my albums are from the 60`s , 70`s and 90`s  , most of them i chose because musically they grabbed me .Most of the mainstream now i find too dull or repetative and rap , grime , hip hop , etc. too fractured and lacking melody .Watching the Brits last night there seems too much emphasis on looks , the way they dress , the image they portray , etc .It all looks like an act rather than a natural performance . Perhaps video really did kill the radio star .

• Thanks 1

Just now, ivans82 said:

I often have arguments with people over which is more important the lyrics or the tune/melody/music , which ever you prefer .Usually 90% choose the music , which is what grabs you initially .Most of my albums are from the 60`s , 70`s and 90`s  , most of them i chose because musically they grabbed me .Most of the mainstream now i find too dull or repetative and rap , grime , hip hop , etc. too fractured and lacking melody .Watching the Brits last night there seems too much emphasis on looks , the way they dress , the image they portray , etc .It all looks like an act rather than a natural performance . Perhaps video really did kill the radio star .

This hasn't changed at all in this industry - It has always been about looks, the way they dress and the image they portray. Musicians from the 70s and 80s were doing the same thing.

I don't think music has changed much at all over the years - There is so much more music out there now that you will be able to find something to suit your tastes that is "new" - Mainstream music can be very similar to eachother.

Each to their own in terms of what attracts you to certain types of music.

2 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Completely agree , lots of shouting pointing and swearing seems to make you a star today

25 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Completely agree , lots of shouting pointing and swearing seems to make you a star today

Bring back punk rock, eh?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

My problem is that mainstream music really does all sound the same. I’ve no idea what style it is but it’s all very much identical. And the female singers are absolutely horrible.

Many years ago the music charts had pretty much every style going, nowadays it’s all roughly one style. 

Yeah - I won't disagree with this point, in terms of the "top of the charts" it does all sound very similar, I dont think a lot of people don't care too much about the content of music, rather just he beat, etc. nowadays.

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I work with a few younger lads and they tend to have Radio 1 or Capital on. It’s my idea of hell. ???

Yeah - in my old workplace they played "kiss-story"(Sp?) which is basically the same 20 odd songs on repeat all day.

No radio in my current workplace, so I don't have to go through that!