The TV Thread

I've been bingeing on Skyplus downloads of Salvage Hunters from Quest. It must have been shown for years but I had not seen any till the lockdown. Really good for the antiques restoration series; I'm not much interested in the car-restoring series.

The presenter is a dealer called Drew Pritchard. I've spent years dealing with members of the public, site workers, colleagues and clients and got the impression that, offscreen, he may not be as pleasant as on it.

Checked the internet; my initial impession seems reasonable.

Mind you, I'm still downloading and watching the show.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

18 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Given the death of live sports, I am surprised about the fact Premier/Freesports haven't shown any of the back catalogue of Championship Games. Is this because Sky now own the rights?

The stuff on Freesports during the crisis seems to be 2019 content. Their RL content, even if they have retained it in their archives, is older than that. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The stuff on Freesports during the crisis seems to be 2019 content. Their RL content, even if they have retained it in their archives, is older than that. 

They are showing Ice Hockey from 2008 this morning.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

They are showing Ice Hockey from 2008 this morning.

Ice Hockey is a sport they still have rights to. So they'd probably be pushing sports that they want viewers to come back to once the crisis abates and live broadcasts resume.

It'd be nice if they showed a few RL matches, though. Have you tried emailing them or contacting them on social media? Maybe it just hasn't crossed their minds.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's become a parody of itself. The " kill rate " is beyond a joke. I don't know how people can take it seriously.

I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously is it? 

I wouldn't go as far to call it a black comedy but it is certainly packed with dark humour. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously is it? 

I wouldn't go as far to call it a black comedy but it is certainly packed with dark humour. 

Exactly. If it was your standard espionage show, I probably wouldn't have started watching it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BT Sport have got better sports documentaries than Sky I’ve noticed during this lockdown.  They are helped by having the rights to ESPN output.

My top 5:

1.  Greavsie

2.  The inventors of Fantasy Baseball story

3.  The one about USC college football team

4.  The 50 year curse of Cleveland sports fans 

5.  Team of the Eighties 

On 21/04/2020 at 15:02, Gerrumonside ref said:

BT Sport have got better sports documentaries than Sky I’ve noticed during this lockdown.  They are helped by having the rights to ESPN output.

My top 5:

1.  Greavsie

5.  Team of the Eighties 

I watched ‘ No Mas ‘ . That was good . Still didn’t get to the bottom of Duran’s thinking though 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2020 at 15:02, Gerrumonside ref said:

My top 5:

1.  Greavsie

5.  Team of the Eighties 

There's only one ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I watched ‘ No Mas ‘ . That was good . Still didn’t get to the bottom of Duran’s thinking though 

If it’s the same one I’ve seen it gave me the impression he still hasn’t come to terms with it. 

On 21/04/2020 at 10:21, Futtocks said:

Formula E from 2014, why can't (wont?) Matt Shaw use a bit of pressure to show free rugby league? Oh, maybe they are filling their schedules with PRO14 rubbish, and very dodgy European Cricket.

All sports channels should cancel subscription until lockdown finishes, and be 'free-to-air', right across  the board. SKY, BT, Eurosport everything, it's not like they are paying for anything right now, but it will help the UK's mental health.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Formula E from 2014, why can't (wont?) Matt Shaw use a bit of pressure to show free rugby league? Oh, maybe they are filling their schedules with PRO14 rubbish, and very dodgy European Cricket.

I'm assuming they have ongoing rights to all the above.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Devs.......watched the first episode , totally baffled ......watched the 2nd total dross....stuck with it for episode 3.......must be the dullest thing ever televised ......learnt my lesson and given up .......same old dull tuneless songs running through it which unfortunately have leaked through to other shows  , Killing Eve , Our Girl to name just 2 .

Gangs of london.  WOW, Just watched first 2 parts and its great,its like peaky blinders in eastenders,Very violent but seems to be better filming than a lot a top movies have seen in a few years.Great stuff to keep me out the garden weeding.

Whats that border patrol all about, they found dried rats,spiders and giant meal worms in some  lady from thilands holiday luggage at melborne airport.?She said it were to make soups with.:kolobok_punish:Fine of $440 cheered her up.

11 hours ago, silverback said:

Gangs of london.  WOW, Just watched first 2 parts and its great,its like peaky blinders in eastenders,Very violent but seems to be better filming than a lot a top movies have seen in a few years.Great stuff to keep me out the garden weeding.

I watched episode 1 last night. Both the boss and I loved it.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

20 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

All sports channels should cancel subscription until lockdown finishes, and be 'free-to-air', right across  the board. SKY, BT, Eurosport everything, it's not like they are paying for anything right now, but it will help the UK's mental health.

Sky have been showing plenty of old rugby league games on their Sky Sports Mix channel that's available to all subscribers. I watched St Helens v Wigan 2003 yesterday and there's a few on their website you can watch on demand on that channel.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"