The TV Thread

8 minutes ago, silverback said:

Normal people, seems to be turning into shades of grey. And killing eve is superb.

Aren't you glad you never worked for a manager like Villanelle? "Okay, it is your first day and, while you haven't done the job 100% properly, you've tried really hard and pretty much got it done. Here's a bullet through the back of your head as a reward."

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

the bbc take the licence payers money and spend it on a reality show that is exactly the same as "one born every minute" on another channel - if there is no new ideas don't bother at all

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Revisiting the excellent 'Nero Wolfe' series from the early 2000s. This is a great first episode.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

watching full episodes of "love thy neighbour" on youtube - fantastic on screen chemistry between the actors jack Smethurst and Randolph walker, its obvious the writers were not mocking race but actually taking the rip out of racism itself with jacks ignorance and bigotry being exploited for what it was and him coming out as the fool at the end of every story line with bill always having the upper hand, great to look back at when comedy was actually very funny and actors were not stage school fed prima donnas - of course it wouldn't be repeated on tv today as the british public cant be trusted to actually think about what they are watching 

• Like 2

Just started with the BBC 10 episodes of >> BREEDERS.never laughed as much in years,Its a posh version of Shamless.:kolobok_popcorm1:

Martin Freeman as Paul, a father of two and Ally's partner. Daisy Haggard as Ally, a mother of two and Paul's partner. George Wakeman as Luke, Paul and Ally's son. Jayda Eyles as Ava, Paul and Ally's daughter. Michael McKean as Michael, Ally's estranged father. Joanna Bacon as Jackie, Paul's mother.

17 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

watching full episodes of "love thy neighbour" on youtube - fantastic on screen chemistry between the actors jack Smethurst and Randolph walker, its obvious the writers were not mocking race but actually taking the rip out of racism itself with jacks ignorance and bigotry being exploited for what it was and him coming out as the fool at the end of every story line with bill always having the upper hand, great to look back at when comedy was actually very funny and actors were not stage school fed prima donnas - of course it wouldn't be repeated on tv today as the british public cant be trusted to actually think about what they are watching 

Wouldn't get past the first hurdle these days. But in their original form til death us do part and rising damp wouldn't be made today either.

Anthony Farrel, ex leeds widnes etc used to enjoy love thy neighbour. That Jack Smethurst or Warren Mitchel were racist is absurd. The script was horrifically so.... that was the humour.

I thought it was lame. It had one joke... now then sambo.... dont talk to me like that honky.... that was kind of it.

Rising damp different gravy. Rossiters timing, body language etc was far superior 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Wouldn't get past the first hurdle these days. But in their original form til death us do part and rising damp wouldn't be made today either.

Anthony Farrel, ex leeds widnes etc used to enjoy love thy neighbour. That Jack Smethurst or Warren Mitchel were racist is absurd. The script was horrifically so.... that was the humour.

I thought it was lame. It had one joke... now then sambo.... dont talk to me like that honky.... that was kind of it.

Rising damp different gravy. Rossiters timing, body language etc was far superior 

Rising Damp was wonderful. Love thy Neighbour never had the same quality writing or supporting cast, and a top-notch actor like Warren Mitchell was given a character he couldn't do much with.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Rising Damp was wonderful. Love thy Neighbour never had the same quality writing or supporting cast, and a top-notch actor like Warren Mitchell was given a character he couldn't do much with.

Pretty much.... scouse git, marrygold, silly moo.... and "darkie" comments....

That was kind of it..... it went on way too long.

It ain't half hot mum became a series of homophobic or racist catchphrases. It was very popular. Oh dear, how sad, never mind!

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

how much of rigsby was in Rik mayalls character in bottom?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

how much of rigsby was in Rik mayalls character in bottom?

Good point; I hadn't made that connection, but yes. And a good excuse to watch that show again. All episodes on Netflix, plus the full live shows on YouTube. Here's the first one.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just caught episode 1 of Game, Set and Match made by Granada in 1998. 13 hours in total. Mean, moody, sombre, realistic - the complete antithesis of modern Dan Brown-like headlong rushes. 

Some old ITV shows are hard to track down. I fondly remember their adaptation of David Lodge's campus novel Small World. I'd love to watch it again, but...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lockdown sunday. My hols to france is cancelled til at least next may. I haven't held my grandkids in weeks. The entente is most certainly not cordiale between my daughter and her now ex.

This is Fedupsville south Yorkshire....

So..... no googling.... be honest

Name the ten machines and the ten crews that raced in the wacky races!!!!

No googling!!!!!

???

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Lockdown sunday. My hols to france is cancelled til at least next may. I haven't held my grandkids in weeks. The entente is most certainly not cordiale between my daughter and her now ex.

This is Fedupsville south Yorkshire....

So..... no googling.... be honest

Name the ten machines and the ten crews that raced in the wacky races!!!!

No googling!!!!!

???

There were 11 racers

1.Prof Pat Pending in his Convert-a-car

2.Ant Hill Mob in the...a big old fashion Mob car

3. Penelope Pitsop in her...a beauty parlour on wheels

4.The Slag Brothers in the Boulder Mobile

5. Sgt Blast & Private ??? in the...tank-thingy

6. Peter Perfect in the...his penis extension 

7. Rufus Ruffcutt & Beaver in the Buzz Wagon

8. The Gruesome Twosome in the...like a haunted house on wheels

9. Lazy Luke with a crying bear in the Arkansas Chug-a-bug

10. Red Max in the...flying car thingy

11. Dick Dastardly & Muttley in the Mean Machine 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

There were 11 racers

Thaz googled that!!!!????

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

There were 11 racers

I remember 8 of the crew but only five of the cars

25 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Thaz googled that!!!!????

Nope, that's my son has the DVD, with all the episodes, in his bedroom. He's 21 now and it's the only DVD he kept from the ones he watched as a kid. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 2
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

This and Tinker Tailor, Alec Guinness version, are probably the most absorbing and atmospheric cold war tales I've ever watched.  I watched the Oldman remake but was not at all impressed. They really should lay off this remake addiction!

• Like 1

I couldn't sleep last night and watched an Aljazeera documentary about the crusades. History could have turned out very differently.

Richard III was the Christian leader and had lost heart. He'd heard that the nobles were plotting against him in England and he wanted to go home.

He called a truce (a face-saving gesture) not knowing that Saladin didn't have any money left.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police