The TV Thread

On 23/04/2020 at 22:29, silverback said:

Gangs of london.  WOW, Just watched first 2 parts and its great,its like peaky blinders in eastenders,Very violent but seems to be better filming than a lot a top movies have seen in a few years.Great stuff to keep me out the garden weeding.

I watched 'Gangs of London' free, years ago.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We finished Ashes to Ashes tonight. Now that’s a proper way to finish a programme. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just finished Homeland. Absolutely loved this last series. Didn't get too silly, stuck with a main plot right through, and was more patient and intelligent than a few of the seasons. 

Thought it was an excellent last series and finished off in an excellent way, shocks, twists but not trying too hard. 

I'll miss this show, a couple of shonky seasons, but overall very enjoyable. 

Any recommendations for similar shows? Just started Looming Tower and enjoyed the pilot. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Just finished Homeland. Absolutely loved this last series. Didn't get too silly, stuck with a main plot right through, and was more patient and intelligent than a few of the seasons. 

Thought it was an excellent last series and finished off in an excellent way, shocks, twists but not trying too hard. 

Any recommendations for similar shows? Just started Looming Tower and enjoyed the pilot. 

It was outstanding . I’d just finished ranting at the telly about what a traitor Carrie was and I hope she gets killed ... when the final scene unfolded . I hope the producers have a rethink and keep it going 

• Haha 1

Just now, DavidM said:

It was outstanding . I’d just finished ranting at the telly about what a traitor Carrie was and I hope she gets killed ... when the final scene unfolded . I hope the producers have a rethink and keep it going 

Spoilers. 

I still think she was wrong, but it was in character, she doesn't see the bigger picture, the wars come and go and you can't trade in that strategic asset for an isolated flash point, Saul was right. But that's what made it work and feel right, she is flawed and flies off the handle, but will ultimately try and do things for the right reasons. 

I thought they did it very well, the end scenes were under-stated and nicely done. 

Funnily enough I'd also have been OK with a finish that saw her kill Saul and go bad. She has always been on the verge of it anyway, and it would have been a nice mirroring of the original season with Brodie. 

But it was very well done, and for a long running show to finish so well it was great! 

• Like 2

On 08/05/2020 at 08:53, Dave T said:

I thought that Looming Tower was excellent 

Just finished watching the final episode of "Gangs Of London". What's my verdict? Not sure yet! I've watched more than my fair share of "blood & guts"  films and TV including the often blood thirsty Nordic Noir stuff on BBC4.  The violence and blood/gore in this however is shocking at times. I suspect my mind would have been made up more rapidly if there had been a stronger actual storyline. I felt that was a bit loose shall we say. Some good acting performances but so many of the characters had such limited involvement prior to their demise! Michelle Fairley seems to be developing a "Sean Bean" habit of being killed off! The ending clearly left scope for a second series. I shall think on it some more!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LeeF said:

I thought that Looming Tower was excellent 

I enjoyed it until the Manchester scenes... 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Just finished watching the final episode of "Gangs Of London". What's my verdict? Not sure yet! I've watched more than my fair share of "blood & guts"  films and TV including the often blood thirsty Nordic Noir stuff on BBC4.  The violence and blood/gore in this however is shocking at times. I suspect my mind would have been made up more rapidly if there had been a stronger actual storyline. I felt that was a bit loose shall we say. Some good acting performances but so many of the characters had such limited involvement prior to their demise! Michelle Fairley seems to be developing a "Sean Bean" habit of being killed off! The ending clearly left scope for a second series. I shall think on it some more!

One a guys who helped in the filming was involved in saw 4 and 5.Hence plenty of bits getting blown off.

On 05/05/2020 at 08:43, Wolford6 said:

I couldn't sleep last night and watched an Aljazeera documentary about the crusades. History could have turned out very differently.

Richard III was the Christian leader and had lost heart. He'd heard that the nobles were plotting against him in England and he wanted to go home.

He called a truce (a face-saving gesture) not knowing that Saladin didn't have any money left.

Agreed & some of their more recent stuff is a good watch too.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Watched a repeat of George Gently last night where Pixie Lott was cast as a singer at a holiday camp who got bumped off  by none other than a character played by Villanelle herself Jodie Comer , didn`t realise She started knocking them off that early .

Just caught up with the latest series of Curb Your Enthusiasm,  brilliant.  The series arc has Larry setting up a coffee shop,  Latte Larry's,  next door to Mocha Joe's,  a coffee shop he was banned from.

image.webp

Edited by HawkMan