The TV Thread

23 hours ago, gazza77 said:

We've been re watching Spooks since lockdown started. I only picked it up in 2007, after I met my now wife, so early series were new to me. Series 10 was completed on Saturday evening, so just the film left. 

It surprised me how little it felt to have aged given it started in 2002, with the only things that really dated it to me were the cars, mobile phones and a fixation with boot cut jeans for the lead characters. 

Spooks seems to have a higher death count for leading characters than Game of Thrones...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

One of my all time favourite westerns has to be "Appaloosa" with Viggo Mortensen and Ed Harris. Quite a satisfying ending for a change as well!

Really liked the Mudcrutch track - "Scare Esay" that ran over the credits but is not listed on the soundtrack oddly!

Apologies! This should have gone into the film thread!

Edited by Trevorkfevfan
Error in posting

5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

image.png.ed78dba37a3f3c1fbe82a48db4cba1db.png Enjoying this on Netflix.

Just getting to grips and liking this "modern" take - a far cry from standard Hollywood series - and came across the very interesting link below:

"Lost, soon to be forgotten."

These words were recited by the fictional actress Camille Washington in Netflix's latest series, Hollywood.

Washington, a black actress, is auditioning for the role inspired by Peg Entwistle, a real life movie actress born in Port Talbot, whose Hollywood career was cut short at the age of 24.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52652619

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ckn said:

Spooks seems to have a higher death count for leading characters than Game of Thrones...

I couldn't comment, never seen it! 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Finally got round to watching the last Star Wars movie after really not wanting to be let down as badly as I was with 7 and 8.

Well, it wasn’t as bad as Battlefield Earth. Let’s leave it there.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just binge watched all seven series of "The West Wing" again. Some great actors amongst that cast. Then, after looking for more Aaron Sorkin stuff I have started watching "The Newsroom". Looking very promising so far. This missed me whyen it first came out but must admit Jeff Daniels plays a good part.

• Like 2

Does anyone remember the C4 show, After Dark? It was a round table, chat type show, where celebrities were given bucket loads of alcohol to talk rubbish. Maybe the BBC have sorted it with "I'll get this", I thought last nights show was the best of the series. 

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Does anyone remember the C4 show, After Dark? It was a round table, chat type show, where celebrities were given bucket loads of alcohol to talk rubbish. Maybe the BBC have sorted it with "I'll get this", I thought last nights show was the best of the series. 

See also the fairly recent series on Dave: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Davies:_As_Yet_Untitled

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just finished the latest series of inside no 9, fantastic.  What a great series,  if you've not tried it, here's some reasons why you should. 

Edited by HawkMan

The 3 series of The A-Word is currently on BBCIPlayer and the actor playing the autistic boy is exceptional. 

A well-written series that mirrors family perspectives is from the pen of Peter Bowker and with a very good cast including an excellent Christopher Eccleston. The mood changing Lakes District locations are perfect.

• Like 1

Late last night/early this morning on BBC4, there was a documentary about Ike White. Ike who? Exactly; I hadn't heard of him either, but while doing time in a US jail, he recorded a remarkably accomplished album. Then, when he was released, his life got... complicated.

Programme link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jb6v

And a sample track.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Just binge watched all seven series of "The West Wing" again. Some great actors amongst that cast. Then, after looking for more Aaron Sorkin stuff I have started watching "The Newsroom". Looking very promising so far. This missed me whyen it first came out but must admit Jeff Daniels plays a good part.

I enjoyed the newsroom, really interesting take on the real news of the time.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2020 at 12:43, gazza77 said:

We've been re watching Spooks since lockdown started. I only picked it up in 2007, after I met my now wife, so early series were new to me. Series 10 was completed on Saturday evening, so just the film left. 

It surprised me how little it felt to have aged given it started in 2002, with the only things that really dated it to me were the cars, mobile phones and a fixation with boot cut jeans for the lead characters. 

Having never seen one episode till lockdown, me and the missus have just watched the 86th and final episode. Was going to watch the film but it's been taken off i player.

Absolutely loved it and agree about the boot cut jeans; just seem weird these days.

16 minutes ago, huddiepuddies said:

Having never seen one episode till lockdown, me and the missus have just watched the 86th and final episode. Was going to watch the film but it's been taken off i player.

Absolutely loved it and agree about the boot cut jeans; just seem weird these days.

Hadn't noticed the film was on I player, we have it on dvd so never looked! Certainly doesn't feel like knocking on for 9 years since it ended. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

13 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Yes I remember it well,  here's a classic clip of Olly Reed completely out of his skull on the show.

Edited by HawkMan

10 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Just finished the latest series of inside no 9, fantastic.  What a great series,  if you've not tried it, here's some reasons why you should. 

As good as anything that has been on TV for the last couple of years. Brilliant stories, with the two leads on top of their games! 

• Like 1