The TV Thread

Got a BritBox subscription to watch some stuff. FINALLY, subtitles for the BBC and ITV stuff, bloody annoying that I have to pay to get subtitles though. May try to get through the stuff we want to watch in the 30 day trial then bin it on principle.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 hours ago, ckn said:

Got a BritBox subscription to watch some stuff. FINALLY, subtitles for the BBC and ITV stuff, bloody annoying that I have to pay to get subtitles though. May try to get through the stuff we want to watch in the 30 day trial then bin it on principle.

iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 & My5 all have subtitles, don't they? For FREE. (I know BBC iPlayer does)

I Still don't understand BritBox when the main players have an on demand service anyway for free, yes you might not get adverts on ITV/C4/C5 stuff, but I can put up with some of them.

Edited by Bleep1673

29 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Just watched Greg Davies searching for Kes on bbc iplayer.

Made my day. A brilliant hour of telly.

I never knew this programme existed - I'll be bookmarking it, thanks.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I never knew this programme existed - I'll be bookmarking it, thanks.

It's been fabulous futtocks.

My daughter lives next street to the chippy where billy spends the money their Gud gave him for the bet and just round the corner from Barry Hines house where he was born.

Barry was born and died in Hoyland common. My dad worked at the same pit.... Rockingham, where they filmed the pit scene...

I was born in wombwell, just the next village north of hoyland.....

I really enjoyed it.

On 05/06/2020 at 21:58, Johnoco said:

Quit the slagging of Indoor League. I have fond memories of it.

I’ll si thi

Seconded.

Bloody loved it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

We watched The Bureau series 1and 2 on Amazon. French with subtitles and highly recommended. Unfortunately, series 3 is only on Sundance and I am not looking to add  another subscription channel.

I see the DVD is available on Amazon but is only available as Region 1. Is there a way around that?

We found another Amazon Prime show " Goliath" last night and we both like that too. 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

8 hours ago, Bearman said:

We watched The Bureau series 1and 2 on Amazon. French with subtitles and highly recommended. Unfortunately, series 3 is only on Sundance and I am not looking to add  another subscription channel.

I see the DVD is available on Amazon but is only available as Region 1. Is there a way around that?

We found another Amazon Prime show " Goliath" last night and we both like that too. 

Thanks for the recommend on the Bureau, I'll have a look at that. I like Goliath too.

As for the DVDs, if you have a games console that plays DVDs, I think (think - do check) that they are multi region.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 06/06/2020 at 00:50, ckn said:

Just watch the iPlayer on something other than Apple TV and you'll get subtitles.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Bearman said:

Depends on the make/model of your DVD player. Some can be made multi-region pretty easily.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I was working at the Kent & Canterbury Hospital on agency (1995), I had a very sympathetic manager, one Wednesday he told me to disappear down to Day Surgery for the afternoon, as the auditors were coming round, he said just to sit in the coffee room until they've gone. I went over and sat there, and started reading Shakespears Romeo & Juliet, right the way through, because it was sitting there, and I was going through my divorce at the time. At the end, I sat there with tears streaming.

Last night I had the same experience, BBC4 had a Royal Shakespear Co. production of R&J, and it was wonderful, best 2.5 hours of the weekend. Same result though (tears at the end - big soft ####). Star crossed lovers etc.

Edited by Bleep1673

19 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Just watched Greg Davies searching for Kes on bbc iplayer.

Made my day. A brilliant hour of telly.

An absolutely brilliant bit of TV that would have completely passed me by had I not seen your your post.

Many thanks.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

My oldest son was a massive fan of Anthony Horowitz's books as a child and at a loose end last night we tried the first episode of Alex Rider on Amazon.

I was genuinely gripped, it's a lot darker than the source material and has some top acting talent. Really surprised and impressed.

52 minutes ago, Shadow said:

My oldest son was a massive fan of Anthony Horowitz's books as a child and at a loose end last night we tried the first episode of Alex Rider on Amazon.

I was genuinely gripped, it's a lot darker than the source material and has some top acting talent. Really surprised and impressed.

Anthony Horowitz is just great 

7 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Don't read his books for adults they will just annoy you

I do ! At times  they’re very over clever , but he did some of my fav programmes too , like Poirot , Midsomer Murders and Foyles War

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I do ! At times  they’re very over clever , but he did some of my fav programmes too , like Poirot , Midsomer Murders and Foyles War

I liked the House of Silk.

I have his crime novels on Kindle to read. 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Over clever? mentioning the tv series you wrote ? Think we will have to agree to differ.

Just finished a binge-watch of 'Dinnerladies' on Netflix. Yes, a bit of a too-neat happy ending in the final episode, but everything up to that point has some of Victoria Wood's best dialogue, touching scenes and mundane absurdities.

• Like 3

Ralph Waldo Emerson

40 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Just finished a binge-watch of 'Dinnerladies' on Netflix. Yes, a bit of a too-neat happy ending in the final episode, but everything up to that point has some of Victoria Wood's best dialogue, touching scenes and mundane absurdities.

I love dinnerladies (lower case d please).

• Like 1