The TV Thread

I found this on youtube and admit I missed it on the Beeb when originally on, a success from one system finding reasons why the system that made him was not only better but the answer to all our ills, you could've knocked me down with a Will Carling tackle !

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Produced in the last 5 years, NEW?

Let me know how it goes. I dont have Sky.

Yeh , it’s a remake or sequel to the one from the early 80s I think it was . It’s in German and French with subtitles but series one was very good so hopefully it keeps up that standard , I’ll tell you when I see it ?

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Yeh , it’s a remake or sequel to the one from the early 80s I think it was . It’s in German and French with subtitles but series one was very good so hopefully it keeps up that standard , I’ll tell you when I see it

I have watched the whole series of this "new" interpretation and have to say it bears no comparison with Wolfgang Peterson's original production. The "new" one has added a completely new story line and the, seemingly vital, "romantic" thread. The bare bones gritty nature of the original was what made it so good and believable. The fragility of the human spirit when cooped up in a metal tube with folk trying their utmost to destroy you!

• Thanks 1

On 09/06/2020 at 00:01, Futtocks said:

Just finished a binge-watch of 'Dinnerladies' on Netflix. Yes, a bit of a too-neat happy ending in the final episode, but everything up to that point has some of Victoria Wood's best dialogue, touching scenes and mundane absurdities.

Quite agree . Even the PC brigade couldn`t find anything to object to , but i am sure they will try their damnest to do so .

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Quite agree . Even the PC brigade couldn`t find anything to object to , but i am sure they will try their damnest to do so .

Ageist, sexist, One Asian person who is made to look stupid, no African/Caribbean characters, 

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

Yeh , it’s a remake or sequel to the one from the early 80s I think it was . It’s in German and French with subtitles but series one was very good so hopefully it keeps up that standard , I’ll tell you when I see it ?

Das Boot, series one was brilliant.  Hope series 2 is just as good. I have never ever binged watched a series before, but I just might with this one.

Explanation from Wikipedia - Das Boot is a German television series produced for Sky 1 and is a sequel to Das Boot (1981).  Like the original film, the series is based on Lothar-Gunther Bucheim's 1973 book Das Boot, but with additions from Buchheim's 1995 sequel Die Festung.  As the original film's plot ends in December 1941, the series' setting takes place nine months later, in 1942. The story line is split into two narratives, one based on land around the French Resistance, the other set around German U Boat 612 and its crew.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

I keep forgetting to check the EPG for Forces TV. They are showing Sapphire & Steel, which has to be a contender for one of the most odd and eerie shows of all time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 10/06/2020 at 13:08, Exiled Townie said:

Das Boot, series one was brilliant.  Hope series 2 is just as good. I have never ever binged watched a series before, but I just might with this one.

Explanation from Wikipedia - Das Boot is a German television series produced for Sky 1 and is a sequel to Das Boot (1981).  Like the original film, the series is based on Lothar-Gunther Bucheim's 1973 book Das Boot, but with additions from Buchheim's 1995 sequel Die Festung.  As the original film's plot ends in December 1941, the series' setting takes place nine months later, in 1942. The story line is split into two narratives, one based on land around the French Resistance, the other set around German U Boat 612 and its crew.

Series 1 was a worthy successor to one of the greatest films ever made.

Looking forward to watching series 2. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

My appearances on 15-to-1, in the black and white photo I am far left, Standing, in the colour photo I am third from the right, also standing.

15-to-1 first time.jpg

15-to-1 + Hesketh Cresent.jpg

How did you get on?

Did you make a final?

11 hours ago, Niels said:

How did you get on?

Did you make a final?

First one nerves beat me, knocked out in 1st round, 2nd time, I was 2nd to last to get knocked out in the 2nd round, with plenty of screen time as people kept choosing me, then when I picked, people were getting questions wrong.

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Like 1

Murder in the Outback was very interesting and enlightening . I don’t know if that bloke did it or not but it’s hard to say he got a fair trial on everything that came out there . Some things weren’t said , or were very selectively put to the jury . Joanne Lees didn’t come out to good either 

13 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Wasnt the film version a heavily edited version of the tv series?

Sorry, might not have made it clear. The "Series 1" of Das Boot I was referring to was shown on Sky and, as Exiled Townie's post explains, picks up several months after the original film left off. Sky are now showing a second series.

You're quite right about there being a long version of the original film being shown as a TV miniseries back in the 80s. I seem to remember the BBC showing it over several successive evenings.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

32 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Sorry, might not have made it clear. The "Series 1" of Das Boot I was referring to was shown on Sky and, as Exiled Townie's post explains, picks up several months after the original film left off. Sky are now showing a second series.

You're quite right about there being a long version of the original film being shown as a TV miniseries back in the 80s. I seem to remember the BBC showing it over several successive evenings.

Yes, that's the one I meant, sorry, I don't have Sky, so I wasn't aware that this was a Series 2, crossed information.

The repeat was shown on successive day, original showing was a time-slot on a particular day

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Question; In series 1 of Death in Paradise, Ralf Little's character is arrested for murder, in series 8 Ralf Little reappears as the DI, is this a first for stretching belief beyond boundaries?

Playing the same character?

If not, there is a precedent. Outside the regular core characters, The Nero Wolfe Mysteries had a secondary cast who played different people in different episodes. Then there were guest actors who just appeared once. A bit like repertory theatre.

So, for instance, one actor played the head of the FBI in one episode, a butler in the next, and so on. Once you realised what was going on, it was okay, just a little confusing at first.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Playing the same character?

If not, there is a precedent. Outside the regular core characters, The Nero Wolfe Mysteries had a secondary cast who played different people in different episodes. Then there were guest actors who just appeared once. A bit like repertory theatre.

So, for instance, one actor played the head of the FBI in one episode, a butler in the next, and so on. Once you realised what was going on, it was okay, just a little confusing at first.

Basil Rathbone’s Sherlock Holmes has the same people in just about  every film !

On 11/06/2020 at 15:52, Bleep1673 said:

My appearances on 15-to-1, in the black and white photo I am far left, Standing, in the colour photo I am third from the right, also standing.

15-to-1 first time.jpg

15-to-1 + Hesketh Cresent.jpg

My appearance on 15-1. I’m on extreme right. I was the last to fall before the final 3. 
I kick my self it was nerves that did for me. The question I was asked was 

which sea beginning “A” ( by then I had got it and switched off. It was obviously going to be Aegean so no longer needed to listen. My mouth started working before my brain had processed the last bit of the question) lies between Italy and Jugoslavia.
As Aegean was blurred out, My brain was saying Adriatic. Too late and I was out.

8956DBEE-CA94-4A45-A8FB-A0ABBFA49308.jpeg

Edited by Bearman
  • Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow