The TV Thread

On 08/07/2020 at 18:53, Bedford Roughyed said:

O2 are offering free Disney plus for 6 months and £5.99 after that (you can cancel anytime).  Thats a pretty good deal if you are on O2!

Hamilton or Star wars first?

Disney Plus has been one of the TV best purchases we’ve made. Probably watched more on there in the last two months than we did Netflix or Amazon in the last two years. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

We were wondering what show to get into next and decided we’d put off Homeland for too long. 

We watched the first episode and I hated it. Hated it with a remote passion I’ve only ever reserved for daytime soap operas. It rubbed me up the wrong way in almost every single way possible that a TV show could.

It really has put me in a foul mood. 

• Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

24 minutes ago, ckn said:

We were wondering what show to get into next and decided we’d put off Homeland for too long. 

We watched the first episode and I hated it. Hated it with a remote passion I’ve only ever reserved for daytime soap operas. It rubbed me up the wrong way in almost every single way possible that a TV show could.

It really has put me in a foul mood. 

Philistine ! One of the all time great shows of all time 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2020 at 18:53, Bedford Roughyed said:

O2 are offering free Disney plus for 6 months and £5.99 after that (you can cancel anytime).  Thats a pretty good deal if you are on O2!

Hamilton or Star wars first?

I had it for a day and got shot

my O2 tariff means it’s £5.99 a month from the start and there was absolutely nothing I wanted to watch, I’ve seen the Mandalorian and I’ve got all the Marvel films. I’d probably have ditched it if it was free but there was no way I was about to waste £70 a year on it

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Philistine ! One of the all time great shows of all time 

I couldn’t find a redeeming feature beyond Moreno Baccarin. 

9 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I had it for a day and got shot

my O2 tariff means it’s £5.99 a month from the start and there was absolutely nothing I wanted to watch, I’ve seen the Mandalorian and I’ve got all the Marvel films. I’d probably have ditched it if it was free but there was no way I was about to waste £70 a year on it

Once I've got through the things on my watchlist (Some are things I've seen before), I doubt I will keep it tbh.  Unless they start producing lots of new stuff.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Finished Life on Mars, absolutely brilliant show, immediately becomes one of my all time favourites! Started Ashes to Ashes, must say, not enjoying it as much but only watched a couple so far and I do actually prefer Gene Hunt in the second show more but not liking Alex as much as Sam. 

Bear with it, it mellows out into a worthy sequel and one of the better TV endings 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

That’s reason enough to persist. 😜

Claire Danes’ character development is worth watching the full series. 

Mental disintegration as much as anything . She’s very good

This week, BBC2 have been repeating 'Back in Time for Tea' every evening this week.

7pm today for the Sixties.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 11/07/2020 at 23:04, silverback said:

Just managed 4 hours a gommorra,then rabbits,and another 4 hours of gommorra.am hooked,best tv have seen for a long time.:kolobok_popcorm1:

It's a bit grim but compelling stuff. I lived in Naples for a number of years around the turn of the century, and loved it, though it was a bit like the wild west sometimes!

2 minutes ago, distantdog said:

It's a bit grim but compelling stuff. I lived in Naples for a number of years around the turn of the century, and loved it, though it was a bit like the wild west sometimes!

a lot of twists and turns,backstabbing and lots of vino.great acting and am sad as have only 2 more to go,some grim looking places and towerblocks,

am sure the other half will have found another jewel have missed,:kolobok_wild:

I've been watching Mrs America, started with the first couple of episodes on BBC Two, now watching the rest on iPlayer.

Impressive cast and an interesting story, most of which I didn't know about. 

I thought part one of Once Upon A Time In Iraq was very good . Hearing from ordinary civilians ... and a Rambo like commando with muscles on muscles telling us how elite he was , and by the look of it how screwed up he became .

I also watched part one of The Murdoch Dynasty thing . Rebekah Wade always looks pure evil . Interesting NotW journo telling of all the practices they used to get stories

Edited by DavidM

If you have not seen it Black Monday with Don Cheadle is rather good.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

I hadn't realised (till I read in yesterday's Times) that the BBC has made John Inverdale redundant.

Obviously,  heartbroken sobs reverberate all round the TRL websphere.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

For those with Amazon Prime I'd recommend taking a look at the dark comedy 'Patriot'.   It's about a US intelligence agent working under non-official cover overseas for his Dad, who is the Director of Intelligence.   The protagonist is a little bit of an anti-hero who perseveres with his thankless job, and writes folk songs about what he's been through.

Very, very original.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The lineup for the first Channel 4 series of Taskmaster has been revealed.

Daisy May Cooper

Johnny Vegas

Katherine Parkinson

Mawaan Rizwan

Richard Herring

Vegas and Herring eh? Reckon I'll give that a watch.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've been watching the "Mrs America" series about Phyllis Schlafly and her opposition to the Equal Rights Act. Its quite an eye-opening watch and demonstrates rather chillingly attitudes in the USA at the time. Very good.