The TV Thread

Watched the programs on Rupert Murdoch and cannot believe how much influence he had over our Prime Ministers , Brexit and the election of Trump , i think the short clip shown of the last interview with the writer Dennis Potter summed up my feelings on Him .

I would recommend Fear City on Netflix . Trying to bring down the NY mob in the 80s . Fascinating listening to the guy given the job of putting bugs in the houses of the top guys ... one day he was the phone man when the company cut off the phone , next day he was the cable guy when the mob boss’s cable went dodgy . Just walked in and put the bug in this gear , right under their noses - he even said to one guy he knew was a total psychopath ‘ here hold the torch for me so I can see better ‘

4 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Watched the programs on Rupert Murdoch and cannot believe how much influence he had over our Prime Ministers , Brexit and the election of Trump , i think the short clip shown of the last interview with the writer Dennis Potter summed up my feelings on Him

Yes, I watched that, very disturbing to hear the amount of influence he has exerted on Society over the years. Some of the consequences of his campaigns were truely horryfying.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not read this thread in a while, just clicked on now and I think some people have misread "The TV Thread" for "Yet another place to wreck with political stuff"

Six posts removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just got the Yellowstone bug and i cant shift it, fantastic film location and wouldent mind a few weeks in them hills.

Oscar and Emmy winner Kevin Costner is the marquee attraction of the ensemble cast in this drama series, starring as the patriarch of a powerful, complicated family of ranchers. A sixth-generation homesteader and devoted father, John Dutton controls the largest contiguous ranch in the United States. He operates in a corrupt world where politicians are compromised by influential oil and lumber corporations and land grabs make developers billions. Amid shifting alliances, unsolved murders, open wounds, and hard-earned respect, Dutton's property is in constant conflict with those it borders -- an expanding town, an Indian reservation, and America's first national park.

• Like 1

Today I finished The Last Dance on Netflix. Even if you are not a Basketball fan like me it is a superb sports documentary. It shows just how driven Michael Jordan was to win and the burden he felt he had, although he couldn’t have done it without Pippen and Rodman and the latter two certainly couldn’t have done it without Jordan.

We watched Greyhound last night on AppleTV. Cracking movie that needed an extra 30-40 minutes to build Das Boot levels of tension in the fight with the subs. 

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 30/07/2020 at 21:02, JohnM said:

Working our way through all 117 or is it 119 episodes of "My Family" 

Mwmo to self: I must stop referring to my wife as Susan if I want to live beyond Christmas. 

117 seconds is enough of that sheehite 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

21 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’ve gone from Fear City to Unsolved Mysteries with Worlds Most Wanted next on my list

I have just watched the first two episodes of Worlds Most Wanted. Both had interesting angles on subjects I already knew the basics of. 

Recommend the second series of Dirty John (Netflix) to fans of true crime drama. This time it's about Betty Broderick with Amanda Peet and Christian Slater in the lead roles. 

On 13/08/2020 at 12:17, silverback said:

Just got the Yellowstone bug and i cant shift it, fantastic film location and wouldent mind a few weeks in them hills.

Oscar and Emmy winner Kevin Costner is the marquee attraction of the ensemble cast in this drama series, starring as the patriarch of a powerful, complicated family of ranchers. A sixth-generation homesteader and devoted father, John Dutton controls the largest contiguous ranch in the United States. He operates in a corrupt world where politicians are compromised by influential oil and lumber corporations and land grabs make developers billions. Amid shifting alliances, unsolved murders, open wounds, and hard-earned respect, Dutton's property is in constant conflict with those it borders -- an expanding town, an Indian reservation, and America's first national park.

Never had time for Costner but in this he is very good.......as is the lass who plays his daughter.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with kids' TV, if it is good. Having babysat my niece many times during the late Nineties/early Two Thousands, I saw quite a bit of that era's output.

Yes, there was some dreadful crud, plus a lot of lazy filler, but I'd stand up for Pinky & the Brain or Johnny Bravo, at least from that time. More recently, Rastamouse was a charming little show, as are Shaun the Sheep and the Danger Mouse reboot. It is a fertile ground for creative minds, who sometimes go on to do other things as well.

Edit: add Horrible Histories to that list, too.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Never had time for Costner but in this he is very good.......as is the lass who plays his daughter.

kelly reilly😍 costner was brill in dances with wolves,and i could listen to field of dreams all day.if ever am in need of a lift that music score hits the right spot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, silverback said:

kelly reilly😍 costner was brill in dances with wolves,and i could listen to field of dreams all day.if ever am in need of a lift that music score hits the right spot.

Costner actually did a pretty decent performance in Prince of Thieves, but he and everyone else in the cast just got blown off screen by Alan Rickman's fabulous Sheriff of Nottingham.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Nothing wrong with kids' TV, if it is good. Having babysat my niece many times during the late Nineties/early Two Thousands, I saw quite a bit of that era's output.

Yes, there was some dreadful crud, plus a lot of lazy filler, but I'd stand up for Pinky & the Brain or Johnny Bravo, at least from that time. More recently, Rastamouse was a charming little show, as are Shaun the Sheep and the Danger Mouse reboot. It is a fertile ground for creative minds, who sometimes go on to do other things as well.

Alright, I'll concede I like shaun the sheep but that is mainly because I love aardman. A lot of people don't realise aardman made a lot of shorts for adults as well, such as Pib and Pog and Angry Kid. 

If you've never seen Pib and Pog it's hilarious, it's essentially two cartoon creatures placed in primary school style educational video with a really soft spoken narrator but as each episode progresses it essentially turns into a black comedy where the two characters try ever more extreme ways to kill each other. 

The original short film:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gVbZx3YmCWk

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

There is no way that shows like Johnny Bravo or Ren and Stimpy would be allowed now.

Today I found out that BBC 4 have started showing The Bridge from the beginning. For those who don’t know what it is it’s a Scandinavian crime drama and it is really good.