The TV Thread

Just now, Liverpool Rover said:

There is no way that shows like Johnny Bravo or Ren and Stimpy would be allowed now.

Today I found out that BBC 4 have started showing The Bridge from the beginning. For those who don’t know what it is it’s a Scandinavian crime drama and it is really good.

Ren & Stimpy was only just a children's show. Truly warped at times.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sooty was really good fun when Matthew Corbett did it.

The live theatre show was performed on panto lines .. something for all ages and a brilliant Black Theatre of Prague section.

Going back to Harry Corbett days, I think Ramsbottom should have got much more airtime.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Costner actually did a pretty decent performance in Prince of Thieves, but he and everyone else in the cast just got blown off screen by Alan Rickman's fabulous Sheriff of Nottingham.

Alan - this script is terrible I’ll just do whatever I want to liven it up - Rickman . He’s just brilliant in that 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Been having a massive binge of Death in Paradise today, very entertaining show. 

I used to like it , and through habit I still watch it , but basically it was so formulaic it was the same show every week and wore a bit thin on me . I bet the police would love it if every murder had 4 suspects and they already had pictures of them to stick on the board

I see next week at prime time ITV are having a ‘ dip into the archives ‘ of classic detective programmes ... maybe when they have the Corona inquiry they can do a bit on ITV having absolutely nothing to show from virtually the start of lockdown 

On 17/08/2020 at 05:59, Wolford6 said:

Sooty was really good fun when Matthew Corbett did it.

The live theatre show was performed on panto lines .. something for all ages and a brilliant Black Theatre of Prague section.

Going back to Harry Corbett days, I think Ramsbottom should have got much more airtime.

i agree about Ramsbottom.

He could have been a popular puppet.

Just happened upon this on the iPlayer, after watching the CC post-match discussion: Chris Hoy - The Secret World of Japanese Bicycle Racing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Back on children's TV for a moment (I watch it with the kids... honest) I thought I'd mention a couple of shows. Firstly Wizards on Netflix which finishes G Del Toro's Tales of Arcadia series. We all loved it although it didn't feel like a climax to the series as certain characters pretty much just had cameo's in it (for other watchers what purpose was there for Krell being in there... let alone him being an alien).

The other series I'm going to recommend, and I didn't realise there was political controversy over it until the other day when my dad shared a facebook post by some right wing US nutjob about the 'gay agenda' (and though I've mentioned it I'm not going to say what it actually is to avoid thread drift) is the Owl House over on Disney. The spiritual successor to their previous series Gravity Falls (which in itself is brilliant and a kids skit of Twin Peaks and the X-Files) its about a girl who stumbles through a portal to another dimension and apprentices herself to a powerful witch called Eda (the Owl Lady) in spite of having no magic power of her own. Really well written characters which have thankfully developed really well after the first few episodes, so well in fact that my 8yo son cried at the end of the last episode where, lets just say it ended on a sad note!

• Like 1

Talking of children's TV, 'Runaround' is being shown in the mornings on Talking Pictures TV.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 17/08/2020 at 00:40, Liverpool Rover said:

There is no way that shows like Johnny Bravo or Ren and Stimpy would be allowed now.

Anyone remember Courage the Cowardly Dog (from the same era)?  Scared me to death when the kids were watching it but they seemed to love it!  It was so dark.

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just finished watching Life on Mars and now onto Ashes to Ashes. 

Gene Hunt is one of the greatest TV characters of all time and he has the best lines 😂

One of the best lines in TV history is in Life on Mars when they bust into a warehouse and Gene shouts to the crim, "Drop your gun! You are surrounded by armed b*stards!" 😂

• Like 1

On 27/08/2020 at 13:11, Futtocks said:

Talking of children's TV, 'Runaround' is being shown in the mornings on Talking Pictures TV.

damn- looks like it was on this morning and cant see any more listings for it in the coming week

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 29/08/2020 at 08:29, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just finished watching Life on Mars and now onto Ashes to Ashes. 

Gene Hunt is one of the greatest TV characters of all time and he has the best lines 😂

I have to say, the box sets of Life on Mars & Ashes to Ashes were the best series I have ever reviewed. Currently chasing s8 of Death in Paradise & its nowhere near as good. Closest for drama is Judge John Deed.

8 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I have to say, the box sets of Life on Mars & Ashes to Ashes were the best series I have ever reviewed. Currently chasing s8 of Death in Paradise & its nowhere near as good. Closest for drama is Judge John Deed.

I've just finished bingeing death in Paradise. I love death in paradise, one of my favourite series on TV but I have to say the quality does start to drop towards the end, Humphrey was definitely the best DI and after he goes the quality drops I think plus it can be hard to binge it without your attention dropping due to the formulaic nature of it. I don't mind a show having a formula and structure but it would be nice for there to be the odd episode that breaks from that occasionally. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The BBC this morning said if you wanted to watch the US Open tennis, you would have to stay up late, but I can't find which channel it it on. Can someone help?

Amazon Prime I think.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Amazon Prime I think.

Just checked, and it is Amazon Prime. Catch-up viewing available.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am currently watching the 1981 sci-fi-comedy series Kinvig at the moment, and it hasn't aged well. Created by Nigel Kneale, better known for 'Quatermass'.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

OK so I never thought I'd write this when I was watching the first episode, but the Netflix series Teenage Bounty Hunters ended up being absolutely brilliant! I only watched this because I pressed the new put something random on button on Netflix! Honest!

The adult characters are endearing and have real depth, OK the teenage characters can be bratty and annoying, but I think they're supposed to be and they do have a decent growth ark. Its got a few echos to Buffy, without the supernatural elements obviously, and a little to Chuck as well. A light hearted romp which even pokes a little fun at the religious zealotry in sections of the US, and a twist at the end of the series I genuinely didn't see coming (although I'd just written it off as bad casting choices originally)