The TV Thread

Given the Charlie Elphick case, do you think the BBC might change the status of the Tory MP who appears with no trousers on in Series 2 of Ghosts? A tory mp who dropped dead in an inappropriate condition?

Horrible Histories should rename themselves accurate histories.

Series 2 starts next Tuesday.

Edited by Bleep1673

dermott oh dreary and michael macintrye have just been on the the one show for no other reason than to keep their faces pressed in the living rooms of britain , with nothing to offer at all 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

dermott oh dreary and michael macintrye have just been on the the one show for no other reason than to keep their faces pressed in the living rooms of britain , with nothing to offer at all 

Some people get on telly , then if they have popularity they’re just rammed down your neck endlessly until it’s counterproductive and you’re totally sick of them ... Michael McIntyre , Romesh whatsisface for two .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Some people get on telly , then if they have popularity they’re just rammed down your neck endlessly until it’s counterproductive and you’re totally sick of them ... Michael McIntyre , Romesh whatsisface for two .

The height of this seemed to be reached about 5 years ago when every single programme without fail had a so called comedian on it and there were about 50 of those stupid comedy panel shows. Thankfully some of those seem to have disappeared now. I think TV producers may have finally got the message that people are sick of all these idiot comedians and they seem to have been shunted onto specific channels now like Dave and E4. There still seems to be a few of those shows knocking round bigger channels but nowhere near as many as there was at saturation point. 

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

What else were you expecting from The One Show?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Gyles Brandreth?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

the welsh bird was telling us "britains favourite gardener" monty don would be on the show tonite - with over 80% of the population been gardeners i would like to see some facts to back up this "favourite" claim

On 15/09/2020 at 21:49, The Hallucinating Goose said:

the height of this seemed to be reached about 5 years ago when every single programme without fail had a so called comedian on it. 

Spot on........so called comedians.............the TV is full of them , you only need to watch Live at the Apollo to see them pacing up and down the stage telling some long boring "story" and only getting a laugh when they swear as the content is non existant and the audience are to easily pleased or drunk . 

3 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Spot on........so called comedians.............the TV is full of them , you only need to watch Live at the Apollo to see them pacing up and down the stage telling some long boring "story" and only getting a laugh when they swear as the content is non existant and the audience are to easily pleased or drunk . 

But the Apollo still sells out each time, it obviously appeals to enough people

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

But the Apollo still sells out each time, it obviously appeals to enough people

Didn't even realise they still made that show. The apollo theatre only holds about 800 people, hardly gonna be hard to find that many people to go watch a comedy show with the chance of being on TV in a city of 10m people. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Didn't even realise they still made that show. The apollo theatre only holds about 800 people, hardly gonna be hard to find that many people to go watch a comedy show with the chance of being on TV in a city of 10m people. 

The Hammersmith Apollo's capacity is 5,039 (combined standing/seated) or 3,632 (all seated), according to current figures. 

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Hammersmith Apollo's capacity is 5,039 (combined standing/seated) or 3,632 (all seated), according to current figures. 

Oh yeah, my mistake, I looked up the wrong Apollo Theatre. I looked up one on Shaftesbury Avenue, forgot it was the Hammersmith Apollo where that show is filmed. Still though, not hard to find 5,000 people out of 10,000,000. 

14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Oh yeah, my mistake, I looked up the wrong Apollo Theatre. I looked up one on Shaftesbury Avenue, forgot it was the Hammersmith Apollo where that show is filmed. Still though, not hard to find 5,000 people out of 10,000,000. 

Well the Broncos struggle 😜

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

My sister lives in London and goes to comedy clubs. She also goes to BBC radio and tv recordings. I presume she's on a list of people who routinely get asked if they want to attend.

I'd be surprised if she wasn't on a BBC mailing list then. But a lot of the Apollo shows' tickets will also be going to people who follow the particular comedian(s) who will be performing on the night.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

My sister lives in London and goes to comedy clubs. She also goes to BBC radio and tv recordings. I presume she's on a list of people who routinely get asked if they want to attend.

There is a BBC ticket mailing list. Anyone can get on it. Most of the live comedy TV shows are massively oversubscribed and go to a ballot.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just checked - Live at the Apollo is SRO Audiences, who also do The Last Leg and others.

You pre-register for a ballot. You then get told if you've got in. You do not get told in advance who the guests will be.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Just checked - Live at the Apollo is SRO Audiences, who also do The Last Leg and others.

You pre-register for a ballot. You then get told if you've got in. You do not get told in advance who the guests will be.

8 words telling me its ok to wallow, 8 words giving me the green light to wallow 

up next brand new live at the apollo 

"brilliant lyrics "

This is a difficult day. Firstly there is 1/4 finals on BBC2, there is Racing from Ayr & my favourite track, Newbury on ITV1, there is Time Trial Day in the Tour de France on ITV4, which I love, and at 2pm I have been invited to an on-line (Zoom) Baptism of my daughters mother all at the same time. I am stuffed if I am seen to be glancing away from the computer to watch TdF or Newbury, but at least it won't take too long. Hopefully 7th day Adventist's don't take all day to baptise people (Adults), do they?

35 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

This is a difficult day. Firstly there is 1/4 finals on BBC2, there is Racing from Ayr & my favourite track, Newbury on ITV1, there is Time Trial Day in the Tour de France on ITV4, which I love, and at 2pm I have been invited to an on-line (Zoom) Baptism of my daughters mother all at the same time. I am stuffed if I am seen to be glancing away from the computer to watch TdF or Newbury, but at least it won't take too long. Hopefully 7th day Adventist's don't take all day to baptise people (Adults), do they?

Multiple screens is the only answer 😜

2020 has yet another indignity to throw at us.

You can watch this on Christmas Day in your lockdown while waiting on the last miserable days of the year. You can fit it inbetween your Christmas lunch meant for 20 between the two of you and watching the Queen go on about her horrible annus.

• Sad 3

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"