The TV Thread

3 hours ago, ckn said:

2020 has yet another indignity to throw at us.

You can watch this on Christmas Day in your lockdown while waiting on the last miserable days of the year. You can fit it inbetween your Christmas lunch meant for 20 between the two of you and watching the Queen go on about her horrible annus.

I take it that headline is ironic 

We've started watched Misfits on Netflix (though originally on channel 4). Its exactly what you'd expect with the words "channel 4 decide to do a series about people getting super powers, but they've all got asbo's as well"

Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Bolton in GoT) plays a good role and frankly, if they ever reboot Blakes 7 he gets my vote to play Avon. The first few episodes, are a bit full on and I'm glad they calmed down some of the characters a bit otherwise I doubt I'd have stayed with it, but when it hits its stride its a lot of fun.

On 21/09/2020 at 14:50, RidingPie said:

We've started watched Misfits on Netflix (though originally on channel 4). Its exactly what you'd expect with the words "channel 4 decide to do a series about people getting super powers, but they've all got asbo's as well"

Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Bolton in GoT) plays a good role and frankly, if they ever reboot Blakes 7 he gets my vote to play Avon. The first few episodes, are a bit full on and I'm glad they calmed down some of the characters a bit otherwise I doubt I'd have stayed with it, but when it hits its stride its a lot of fun.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m watched series 1 last night 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Only Connect was back last night and I managed to get the first two right. I felt really clever.

I'm happy with 1 all programme!

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

18 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

18 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

im happy with 1 all series

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

im happy with 1 all series

My average is less than 1....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

what we need now is another series of a man smirking grinning and sniggering on a baking programme- a man with no talent whatsoever but must have a great agent - a man who has a first name like xmas - a man who is as funny as passing blood through your penis 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

16 hours ago, RidingPie said:

Ok we’re a bit odd in our house and watch Bake Off. Can’t believe people have complained about the opening. Anyway if you missed it Matt Lucas does a fantastic Boris Johnson. 

What is there actually to complain about?

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Very strange item traveling up and down the seafront today, there was a car being towed behind a truck, but it seemed lost as it was going backwards and forwards, east and west along the promenade, then I went out about 11am to go to Boots, and noticed the truck had floodlights on the back, then I remembered a letter we all had delivered from Channel 4 Productions that they were filming something to be shown next year, I also remember a local car park full of production company trucks.

Hastings is the new Hollywood? This is about the 6th production being filmed in the last 2 years.

11 hours ago, Derwent said:

Criminal : United Kingdom on Netflix is very good. David Tennant’s acting performance in episode 1 is one of the best I’ve seen in a long time, absolutely nailed it.

I’ve got series 2 on my wish list . First series was very good 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Anything involving Lucas, who's career high point was as the babygro drummer on Shooting Stars. The baby did not grow. 

Lucas is a very good character comedian, although much of his Little Britain stuff is tainted by losing subtlety and just becoming racist, and the fact that it was all too in your face and the catchphrases became mainstream. 

Motherless Brooklyn, 2019

Sky Cinema

1950s New York, a lonely private detective afflicted with Tourette's Syndrome, ventures to solve the murder of his mentor and only friend.

A fine depiction of the era and excellent performance by Edward Norton, who wrote the screenplay and directed. Class acts too from William Defoe and Bobby Cannavale and the cast in general.  Some great lines - “Got through Guadalcanal without a scratch, and I get shot with my own gun - in Queens!” -  and fine jazz in Harlem. Nearly 2.5 hours to enjoy.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Anything involving Lucas, who's career high point was as the babygro drummer on Shooting Stars. The baby did not grow. 

I'll take that as "nothing" then.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Lucas is a very good character comedian, although much of his Little Britain stuff is tainted by losing subtlety and just becoming racist, and the fact that it was all too in your face and the catchphrases became mainstream. 

He's an oddity. Sometimes he can be very funny, but a lot of the time, he doesn't seem to be trying. I remember hearing an interview with him about how he creates his comedy, and it all sounded more like a business than a pleasure for him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes, but in this case he mocked the Beloved Leader, so JohnM was never going to tolerate that.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sky Arts, as of about 10 days ago, has a Freeview channel!

Channel 11, to be precise. Okay, it isn't HD but this is very good news.

Time to retune your TVs, recorders and set-top boxes.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson