The TV Thread

Just watched the latest episode of The Boys. Let's just say there's an appearance from a super-powered character called "Love Sausage". Oh blimey!

• Haha 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Sky Arts, as of about 10 days ago, has a Freeview channel!

Channel 11, to be precise. Okay, it isn't HD but this is very good news.

Time to retune your TVs, recorders and set-top boxes.

There's only so many times you can watch Queen Live at Montreal.

But there are a lot of gems hidden away on that channel at really odd times.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

There's only so many times you can watch Queen Live at Montreal.

But there are a lot of gems hidden away on that channel at really odd times.

Im not much of a Sky Arts person but scanning the guide it seems Andre Rieu is on pretty much all the time . I’ve no idea what he does but he must have shares in the channel

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Im not much of a Sky Arts person but scanning the guide it seems Andre Rieu is on pretty much all the time . I’ve no idea what he does but he must have shares in the channel

In the days when there were two Sky Arts channels, the second one was officially renamed Sky Arts Rieu for a month so they could unashamedly show him over and over again.

My favourite Andre Rieu fact is that when asked to choose a piece of music that inspires him more than any other, he chose one of his own.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I've now watched all of series two of Ghosts and it maintains the same high standard from the first series and, quite often, surpasses it. The first episode is the weakest but still decent.

• Like 1

Got into trouble with the ex yesterday. I have my 12 year old daughter on a Sunday, and we started watching North by North West, and with an hour still to go, I told her to put her coat on, and I will walk her home, she refused because she was enjoying the film so much.

It is a classic. I have seen it many times and still enjoy the Crop dusting, and Mount Rushmore scenes.

• Like 2

Just now, gingerjon said:

I've now watched all of series two of Ghosts and it maintains the same high standard from the first series and, quite often, surpasses it. The first episode is the weakest but still decent.

We love Ghosts. I loved Horrible Histories, and knowing it has been written by the same writers helps a lot, and seeing many of the same cast too.

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Just watched the latest episode of The Boys. Let's just say there's an appearance from a super-powered character called "Love Sausage". Oh blimey!

Twas funny.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

You’ve no idea of who Andre Rieu is 😲😲

About 10 years ago the in-laws visited us and found out Andre Rieu and ensemble would be performing in Adelaide.  I got dragged along and I have to say that I really enjoyed the performance.

Although it has to be said that the whole performance was cheesier than the Professor of Cheese, at Cheesy Cheese University in Cheese town. 

8 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

You’ve no idea of who Andre Rieu is 😲😲

About 10 years ago the in-laws visited us and found out Andre Rieu and ensemble would be performing in Adelaide.  I got dragged along and I have to say that I really enjoyed the performance.

Although it has to be said that the whole performance was cheesier than the Professor of Cheese, at Cheesy Cheese University in Cheese town. 

Does he play the spoons , including classic tv theme tunes ?

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Does he play the spoons , including classic tv theme tunes ?

If there was a quid in it and he could stare at the décolletage of the first violinist ...

• Haha 1

Good programme on BBC4 about Hull during the Blitz. Very touching. My parents lived near Salford Docks during the Blitz and experienced similar devastation. 

• Like 1

the grayson perry thing about america/trump would have been good  if they had edited out grayson perrys annoying false laugh, grayson perrys dreadful voice, grayson perrys dreadful clothes and jimmy saville hair style and not shoved in 4 ad breaks.

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

The Indian Doctor

The 3 series (5 episodes each 45"/series) currently repeating Mon-Fri on BBC1 -1.45pm and available after on IPlayer.

A very enjoyable family comedy drama set in a 1960's mining community in South Wales and with a 60's music soundtrack.

Sanjeev Bhaskar stars as the Doctor with a host of good character actors.

4 hours ago, glemiln said:

The Indian Doctor

Sanjeev Bhaskar stars as the Doctor with a host of good character actors.

bloody ell - first a woman in the tardis -now this!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

The Comey Rule, Sky Atlantic. 

Jeff Daniels and Brendan Gleeson star as former FBI Director James Comey and President Trump in this 2 part series that tells the story of two powerful men, whose strikingly different personalities, ethics and loyalties put them on a collision course. Part one follows the investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails and their impact on the election. Part two is an account of first months of the Trump presidency.

Thoroughly enjoyed this, believe it is based on Comeys book, so gives his side of the story of the last US election and what went on.

• Like 2

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

4 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

The Comey Rule, Sky Atlantic. 

Jeff Daniels and Brendan Gleeson star as former FBI Director James Comey and President Trump in this 2 part series that tells the story of two powerful men, whose strikingly different personalities, ethics and loyalties put them on a collision course. Part one follows the investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails and their impact on the election. Part two is an account of first months of the Trump presidency.

Thoroughly enjoyed this, believe it is based on Comeys book, so gives his side of the story of the last US election and what went on.

Watched it too thought it was very good.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

On 07/10/2020 at 12:54, Exiled Townie said:

Part two is an account of first months of the Trump presidency.

Just finished watching this excellent series and the damning of Trump’s first months. Brendan Gleeson is excellent as Trump. It was obviously geared and released as a run up to the US election, as the series on Sky is available only for another 28 days. Wake up America!

Belatedly caught up with The Boys. Uneven, unsubtle and mad as a box of frogs, I was properly on board with it by the end of season two.

Looking forward to the already commissioned series three. Not that bothered about the cash in spin off coming along as well.

• Like 1