The TV Thread

7 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

So what happened to the Rod Burrow show? Tonight on BBC2? Got bumped for the One Show? Much more important in BBC eyes.

Bumped 24 hours, due to the Prime Minister announcing his latest COVID lockdown strategy. Or rather the One Show got bumped to BBC2 because of it, forcing a reschedule of the documentary.

Unfortunately, this makes it clash with live SL, so I'd expect a lot of people to watch Rob's programme on catch-up.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Finished watching Detectorists, really enjoyed it, ending was rather poor but with the way it does end it seems like more series were maybe planned to be made, been a few years though so don't think that's happening. 

I loved the two series - the one-off special shown between them not so much. The theme tune immediately takes you there, and they had the talent to go for gentle pace instead of obvious filler.

It winds up rather too neatly for everyone, but I'm glad they didn't try to prolong it if they didn't have anywhere further for the two lead characters to go.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I loved the two series - the one-off special shown between them not so much. The theme tune immediately takes you there, and they had the talent to go for gentle pace instead of obvious filler.

It winds up rather too neatly for everyone, but I'm glad they didn't try to prolong it if they didn't have anywhere further for the two lead characters to go.

There was three series and a Christmas special. 

I love the theme song and the gentle pace is what made it so appealing for me, a pleasant, amusing show without too much unnecessary conflict or drama, it's got an innocence to it which not enough shows have these days. 

I don't think there was much further to go for the characters, I think im just very curious as to where the characters lives went after the end because while there wasn't much more development to do in terms of storyline perhaps there was at least more to tell about their lives, the baby growing up, Andy renovating the cottsge but these things wouldn't necessarily make strong stories, it's just me really connecting with the characters and wanting to know more.

The thing that bugged me the most about the ending though was as the camera zoomed out it showed them running to the tree and discovering the gold, I want to know what happened afterwards! I would have preferred them to have either discovered it earlier in the episode and do a flash forward to the future with the baby grown up, the house renovated, everyone settled down or have them not discover the gold at all, not have them discover it but not tell us the consequences! But as I say, that's why it really seemed to me that they were leaving it open to more series. 

Gave Ted Lasso (Apple TV) a try, the reviews were mixed, but I really enjoyed it.  Some great performances, and a story that trotted along.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

JFK

Amazon Prime has this fine 1991 film in the Director’s Cut at 3hrs 26min. The events/theories surrounding the assassination of Kennedy in 1963, and not a few deaths in tandem around the fallout,  are told brilliantly with an excellent A list cast/direction from Oliver Stone.

How many can recall still the announcement of the assassination, on the evening of Friday 22 November?
Granada TV, Manchester scooped the news just before 7pm. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/jfk-how-manchester-first-break-6331085

I was ‘preparing’ for the Friday lads’ night out in Rochdale when my dad shouted to hurry downstairs.  Probably had a few more pints, (than the usual too many) that night, such was the shock.  In 1983, working in Dallas, I drove the scene, walked the ‘grassy knoll’ and visited the 6th floor “exhibition” in the Texas Book Depository.  Looking down from a window, next to the one (off limits) from where the shooter delivered fatal shots, you cannot believe that such a vantage point was not off limits that sad/fateful day.

since i twisted my knee while out running i thought i would give "better call saul" a go on netflix- 1st two episodes were good but now am about 6 episodes in it seems to be waning a bit - not sure whether to stick with it or not

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

since i twisted my knee while out running i thought i would give "better call saul" a go on netflix- 1st two episodes were good but now am about 6 episodes in it seems to be waning a bit - not sure whether to stick with it or not

Stick with it Johnny, I loved it. Not as good as Breaking Bad but not far off.

countdown seems to be 50 mins of scheduling over padded out with adverts and guests waffling on these days- and why dont they save some room on set by getting rid of the other half of the clock that they never use?

Edited by graveyard johnny

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

countdown seems to be 50 mins of scheduling over padded out with adverts and guests waffling on these days- and why dont they save some room on set by getting rid of the other half of the clock that they never use?

I haven't watched it in years, there's a number of quiz shows where I can't help thinking they could be shorter or have an extra round without all the waffling. Pointless is ridiculous for this, it comes on at 5:15 and only really gets going about 10 minutes later after they've introduced all the guests, told you their life stories and then the two presenters have flirted with each other. That show could be half an hour long or have an extra round. I seem to remember when it first started it did have an extra couple on it and had another round. Also why does that show need two presenters? There only needs to be one. 

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I haven't watched it in years, there's a number of quiz shows where I can't help thinking they could be shorter or have an extra round without all the waffling. Pointless is ridiculous for this, it comes on at 5:15 and only really gets going about 10 minutes later after they've introduced all the guests, told you their life stories and then the two presenters have flirted with each other. That show could be half an hour long or have an extra round. I seem to remember when it first started it did have an extra couple on it and had another round. Also why does that show need two presenters? There only needs to be one. 

Karen?- PAUSE- remind us -PAUSE- what you do again- PAUSE 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Yep that's the catchphrase of Alexander Armstrong. I'd forgotten actually that they introduce them all and then get into the round and then the first round takes half the show cos of all the talking. One of the most annoying things on that show as well is when they put the clues up on the board but then have the camera on the waffling contestant so we viewers at home can't look at the clues and take part at home. Especially annoying with picture rounds. 

29 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Don!t forget....and if you won , what would you like to spend the money on ?I don!t think Alexander Armstrong strays far from saying the same stock phrases every show , still prefer him to his super smug mate though .

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Pointless just annoys me , if I put it on now it’s near the end when the thick people are out . Honestly where do they get some of these ... and plenty are students doing really critical courses like ‘ beauty and make up studies ‘ or something and know literally nowt . I can’t stand the unhilarious banter between the presenters , and really Osman is the most pointless thing of all . He must be the smuggest man in the history of television , letting on he knows everything when he’s sitting in front of a computer screen . And then there’s his totally unfunny jokes and I’m so funny smug look . Alexander Armstrong just looks like he’s going through the motions ‘ remind us what you do again ... not like I remotely care ‘ . Ooh and what would you do if you won £1000 jackpot .. go to Australia ...?  lovely 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I finished them.

All 9 series of Death in Paradise. 

Started in March lockdown, ended in my own brain death.

You should be nominated for the New Years honours list . That’s worthy of an MBE . At least most people had them drip fed over 9 years 

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I finished them.

All 9 series of Death in Paradise. 

Started in March lockdown, ended in my own brain death.

I watched the entire thing in about a month at the start of lockdown though I haven't got anything else going on at the moment aside from just sitting on my backside, getting fat and watching TV. That is the summary of my 2020.